Do you care if you are right in a discussion, etc?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Do you care if you are right?
Yes 70%  70%  [ 14 ]
No 30%  30%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 20

Corvus
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2006, 10:28 am

Do you care about being right or wrong, honestly?

I, myself, am more happy with correct information. If I strongly believe something, there is a reason, but one power of learning is learning to 'adapt' which means excepting that you will be wrong.

JulieArticuno
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Oct 2006, 10:32 am

Sometimes I pi** people off because I will pursue a toipic or discussion that they have dropped before I've explained how I know (what i have read/ if it's to do with my emotions, how I feel) that makes me right. They get ever so annoyeed, but then so do I as I am not allowed to prove my point (or disprove theirs.)

JulieArticuno

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2006, 10:33 am

No.

I learn from my misjudgements.

alex
Developer
Developer

26 Oct 2006, 10:37 am

Alternative wrote:
No.

I learn from my misjudgements.

same here. also, if I know I'm right I won't argue since I don't feel the need to prove myself.

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2006, 10:40 am

Exactly Alex.

Starr
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2006, 10:49 am

Sometimes there is no 'right' or 'wrong', just opinions which can't be proven.

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2006, 1:24 pm

I do care to be right,
so if someone shows me to be wrong, in discussion, I am pleased
(with tinges of annoyance: " I should have seen/known/thought of that")
as it lets me improve my understanding. Moving towards being more right.

And over time that has helped with the style and manner of debate as well as its substance.
Some things are open to opinion, some are approximations: things of the more-or-less, and some things are effectively pure binary black-and-white options.

Corvus
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2006, 1:31 pm

Well, I guess I should have been more specific. I care to be "right" as well, but not in the sense of ego..

I.E. I'll argue politics because I feel confident that my belief will benefit the majority rather then the minority. I am happy about the belief, itself, but if someone can find a better one, then I will adopt it (most likely after an intense conversation since one is required to successfully bump out worse information)

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2006, 2:19 pm

Corvus wrote:
I am happy about the belief, itself, but if someone can find a better one, then I will adopt it (most likely after an intense conversation since one is required to successfully bump out worse information)

Wheeltappers!

An opinion out in discussion will either stand up, in which case it can become more trusted, or be shown flawed, in which case it needs replacing. This is subject to the counter-argument itself being tested for form and content.

Very much like (to my train oriented mind) like the old practice of tapping railway wheels,
to see if the "rang true" or had flaws.

DrowningMedusa
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2006, 7:18 pm

As was mentioned earlier, my main goal in a conversation or discussion is the truth, the facts. If I'm wrong, who cares? At least I learned something!! !

markaudette
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2006, 7:28 pm

I will agree with Alternative: I also learn from my misjudgements.

I king of actually enjoy learning when I'm not right. Because I learn something I did not know when that happens. And learning is cool.

:wink:

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2006, 7:31 pm

No, and just letting the person spout off at you while other people are around just makes them look bad sometimes.