Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2006, 9:52 am

Do you have a firm grip?

JulieArticuno
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Oct 2006, 9:54 am

It depends in what context you're talking about. Handshakes, yes, and if I'm told to hold tight, yes, but at other times no, in fact I have an annoying tendancy to drop things.

JulieArticuno

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2006, 10:23 am

JulieArticuno wrote:
It depends in what context you're talking about. Handshakes, yes, and if I'm told to hold tight, yes, but at other times no, in fact I have an annoying tendancy to drop things.

JulieArticuno

Yes, you pointed out this paradox. Perhaps I should have used handshakes as an example, but then some Aspies dielike shaking hands.

en_una_isla
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2006, 10:47 am

Nope. 8)

krex
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2006, 10:54 am

My boyfriend think so...(TMI?) :wink: I am good with opening jars and still have a callouse on my middle finger from when I use to write alot.It was really bad in school,I think from holding the pencil/pen to tightly.But I also have "dropsy"and use to get yelled at a lot for dropping dishes when clearing the table as a kid.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2006, 10:56 am

Average.

Depends what kind of firm grip you mean.

With some things I'm butter fingers, with others I have a nice firm grip.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2006, 12:15 pm

Alternative wrote:
Average.

Depends what kind of firm grip you mean.

With some things I'm butter fingers, with others I have a nice firm grip.

What things? I'm trying to formlate a question on this for Aspie-quiz. It seems like the original question is a flop, mostly because many Aspies tend to drop things (I do this too).

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

26 Oct 2006, 12:36 pm

Yeah a firm grip on myself. :D

MrSinister
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2006, 1:23 pm

I have a good grip on things most of the time, but I also have a tendency for my hands to spring open and drop things. Which can be rather awkward, it has to be said...

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2006, 2:09 pm

yes, i have a really good handshake and people (men) often tell me as much. on top of that, i'm a lefty! so i'm not even really givin ya any juice with a handshake :D

i find people tend to treat you better when you give a firm handshake... and anything short of having to gain ground via conversation with someone.... the better. that kinda helps me cause i'm kinda a shorty and i already have trouble looking at people while i talk to them blah blah blah... and so i think this is a subconscious way of gaining social leverage that works for me great. i think the reason so many people mention my handshake is cause it surprises them when it comes from me. lol

that being said... im clumsy as all-get-out... and am not very deft with my hands outside of some specialized activities.

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

F5c_wZ3_414e_X5
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Oct 2006, 2:31 pm

No, and my hands are small and weak. Everybody notices that.

These are my hand compared with my mothers:

DirtDawg
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2006, 2:59 pm

It's hard to describe, but I have a very macho, bad ass grip on tools and heavy things I have to move. I used to be very strong when I was young and out squeezed many people in "handshaking contests" regularly. I've always done a lot of gardening and using a shovel makes for strong hands.

But, I also have days of sensitivity in my extremities. When I have itchy, tingly, fuzzy days I don't really want to touch anything or be touched. Those are the days when I drop almost everything I pick up. It is very common for me to misjudge how much grip I'm using at these times.

I also have broken many glasses by hand washing ... not from dropping, but from putting my hands inside with a sponge and it just breaks. It's hard for me to judge how much force I use at times.

I don't know how you could put any of that into a simple question.

Clumsiness, lack of focus on menial tasks, ease of distraction during tasks, oh yeah ... I drop stuff.

Fraya
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2006, 3:11 pm

Perhaps "Do you have strong hands but a poor sense for how much pressure your applying?"

Which is the case for me and sounds like many others around here.

Don't do anything at all
-----------
"White Rabbit" - Jefferson Airplane

DrowningMedusa
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2006, 7:01 pm

I guess I have a pretty firm handshake, for a girl (and I'm a leftie, too, Sedaka :wink: ) ... and I've broken a few or the more fragile objects I've picked up things because I didn't apply the proper pressure in handling them.
But really, the bottom line is that even if my hands are quite strong, if you don't want something dropped, then don't give it to me because my hands will either go limp or twitch open at the most inopportune moment! :lol:

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2006, 10:48 pm

Yes, I have an above average hand-strength in my dominant hand. I can usually out-squeeze the hands of most females my age (I wouldn't say males 'cause testosterone makes a difference). I am very right-side dominant and have very strong forearms for a female. My upper arm strength is pathetic though.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2006, 12:18 pm

I have strong hands, even stronger than a lot of guys that I know. I tend to have a tight grip when shaking hands with people (if I can force myself to do so) and many guys have given me wierd looks because of it.

My hands are large in comparison to the size of my feet and strong for their size. My arms are fairly strong, but my wrists do need a bit of work done to make them stronger. My left wrist is fairly strong, but my right wrist isn't.

I have callouses on my hands from gripping things too tightly, whether it be a pen/pencil or anything else. I am also one of two people in my family (my dad being the other one) who can rip just about any piece of duct tape.