Is there such a thing as an intellectually disabled Aspie

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

HollowJD
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Feb 2012, 8:36 pm

I do not know anymore I thought getting a diagnoses would allow me to get the help I needed, all it did was leave me with a feeling of desolation. At first I was glad that after a decade I knew at last what was wrong, but I feel the diagnoses was wrong and soo what is wrong with me, is it something or I honestly don't know. I myself compered to others I seem slow and inferior in all aspect, I simply don't know if perhaps I was misdiagnosed or If I have more than one condition, but anyways thank you for reading this.

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2012, 9:10 pm

You don't seem slow to me. Don't be so hard on yourself. Everyone learns differently and at different paces.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2012, 9:45 pm

moved from Random Discussion to General Autism Discussion

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

15 Feb 2012, 12:07 am

Don't compare yourself to others, especially when it comes to the spectrum.

I actually found this out recently, but there's no average in the Autism spectrum. each case is unique to the individual. A result is an extremely wide, flat line. You could fall in just about anywhere. Comparing yourself to other's progress won't do any good. You're you.

Nim
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2012, 12:17 am

More info on how your slow would be helpful?

I tend to be slow myself, but on most peoples what you'd call "normal" level only, such as understanding instruction. At a higher level - such as challenging tasks/goal oriented or interpretation of things I can function at a "normal" level and they struggle. But you may not be playing to your strengths...

Heidi80
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2012, 8:20 am

Asperger doesn't have to do anything with intellect. Some aspies are really smart, but I also have aspie friends who are mentally ret*d.

Nim
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2012, 10:50 am

Hsa? Explain.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2012, 11:28 am

By definition, Asperger's individuals must have an IQ of 80 or above. An IQ of 70 or below is the mark for mental retardation. There are many individuals with ASDs who have IQs of 70 or below, but according to DSM-IV criteria, these individuals would be diagnosed with autistic disorder or PDD-NOS, not AS. This is why AS is called "high-functioning," because all cases are required by definition to have an IQ above 80. Also, just to note, you may have a learning disorder, which is common with all ASDs, and learning disorders have nothing to do with IQ necessarily. I have a very high IQ, but I have NVLD.

Nash: Is there a difference?

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2012, 2:03 pm

You can't get an AS diagnosis if you have intellectual disability. You can be below-average, but not so far below average that it causes significant problems for you.

But I think this is an artifact of the diagnostic criteria. There are plenty of autistic people with intellectual disability whose autistic traits are identical to Asperger's, except for the intellectual disability. They are diagnosed with "autistic disorder" simply because of their ID. That's one of the many reasons why I think Asperger's really isn't a separate phenomenon at all; its existence as a diagnosis is just a result of the science of psychology finally recognizing that autistic people can be verbal and independent. Asperger's is really just an arbitrary subset of autism that doesn't really have any significant distinguishing features from the rest of the spectrum--at least, not so many that it should have a separate label.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2012, 2:23 pm

Well, with the 80 IQ thing, there's that.

One thing for me, I have NVLD, nonverbal learning disorder, which is like, identical to AS, but it's a right brain deficiency, so it makes my nonverbal IQ quite low (about 80), but my verbal IQ about genius level (about 130), so my overall IQ is average, so half of me is a genius and half is sorta dumb. Besides the social things of AS, and body language and whatnot, it makes my visual spatial skills and balancing skills kinda odd, and math is hard for me, too, partially due to that. Whether or not it's only NVLD and comorbid AS or whatever is complete utter speculation, but yeah, one way or another it works out to being very much like AS or just AS, but my NVLD is scientifically concretely verifiable that I have it, so yeah. That, and as far as other intellectual disabilities go, there's dyslexic Aspies, ADD Aspies, ADHD Aspies, etc, any learning disorder can come with Aspergers, so yeah.