Are "they" sure AS doesn't get worse with age?

Page 3 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2012, 12:55 am

E. you may still have these ToM problems associated with ADHD. I believe there is weak memory of something here that fades away without good social practice. At 27 you might not have much to and fro interaction and you become rusty. (As we age the social circle diminishes.)

I've yet to read of a rock solid stable performance in ADHD over time. Everyone that I know gets off the meds and they do fine for a time, but have to restart this. And the cognition vacillates with or without it. One paper stated that executive function ranges over time -- good/bad.

It's strange because I remember facts well, but I experience delays in social cognition without good practice. It's possible that our non-verbal memory is weak in and of itself, or the time away from interaction causes this.

Introversion could solely do it alone by our alone times. But I somehow doubt this, though, because the rustiness here in this department squeaks in a short time.

Suspie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Feb 2012, 1:16 am

Just for the record I am self diagnosed, and I read the same article. I have definitely gotten worse as the years go by, my social skills r getting worse, and I might be developing a bit of paranoia. But, all I can say is that the older I get, the more comfortable I am with being different. I know I am different, I know that people find me to be weird, but I don't care anymore. This is who I am. I am comfortable in my skin. I don't feel the need to be approved or to be "normal". It will never happen, but as I always say, at least I am not a beige sheep.

TheygoMew
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2012, 2:10 am

I noticed my autism is getting better as I age or I've just learned how to cope but the ptsd and ocd has not gotten better.

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2012, 2:31 am

Hmm... I've been noticing certain symptoms of mine becoming worse, recently.

Diagnosed AS/HFA as a younger child; I have not been to a psych or anything in over 11 or 12 years though, and my diagnosis came about 17 years ago - I have no idea what diagnosis I would get if I were to go in now.

Age is in the right area - 23. I've noticed much less ability to converse with others, among other things. Humor is an area I am having more difficulty with now - I feel like I'm understanding jokes less, and I just less often find things funny.

Another area of difficulty - socializing that I find useless or pointless, i.e. smalltalk, any social interactions I deem pointless, even including things like "good morning." Another one - when someone states the obvious. Not only am I having difficulty -doing- these things, I'm finding it sometimes unbearably irritating when someone else does.

There's a bunch of other stuff, but I don't really have the energy to keep typing stuff up tonight. I might make a second post later.

ruckus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Feb 2012, 3:50 am

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
I think it can get 'worse,' but probably not for the reasons the author of that article thinks. After 10-20-40-60 years a person may get tired of 'faking it' and compensating at all times, and may decide not to worry as much about superficial, surface stuff. From the outside that would look like a regression, but it might actually be more adaptive in terms of less stress.

And there is also the possibility of 'burnout.' That is, pushing too hard for too long until there is a breakdown of mind, body or both. After doing that myself I am a lot less inclined to push myself to pieces for the sake of uber-normality.

Oh, and I might as well post a link to this article, since I haven't done it in a while.

That article is both fascinating and terrifying. I reached a point last year where I felt normal; outgoing, intelligent and content within myself, but lately it's all gone downhill and I feel both my emotional maturity and conversational skills are now on par with that of a toddler. It would seem I tried so hard to better myself these past few years that I burnt myself out. Bummer.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2012, 7:36 am

Lynners wrote:
OddDuckNash99 wrote:
We neuroscientists have much

You're a neuroscientist at age 24?

Yes. I have my bachelor's in neuroscience. I am looking for a research job to gain experience for grad school. I want to get my doctorate in the future. But since my degree, past research, and areas of expertise are all in neuroscience, and since many neuro research data jobs only require a bachelor's, I already am a neuroscientist.

Nash: Is there a difference?

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2012, 8:23 am

My symptoms have definitely gotten worse over the years. I suppose it's my increased social anxiety, and as a result less social contact.

Aspies can learn to imitate NTs to some degree, but that requires regular social interaction. Apparently, it works the other way around too. Without social interaction, one unlearns social skills.

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2012, 6:53 pm

CrazyCatLord wrote:
My symptoms have definitely gotten worse over the years. I suppose it's my increased social anxiety, and as a result less social contact.

Aspies can learn to imitate NTs to some degree, but that requires regular social interaction. Apparently, it works the other way around too. Without social interaction, one unlearns social skills.

Yeah, I've definitely noticed this. It's like playing an instrument. For example, if I don't play bass for a week I lose playing speed and experience lessened ability to use certain techniques.

petitefeet5
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 May 2012, 2:55 pm

164-200 aspergers
55-200 NT

Gee, surprise surprise lol

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 3:29 pm

I hope not. At the moment I feel I am getting better, more mature, my social skills are becoming better, and I can keep certain behaviours under control a lot better than I used to.

So will I lose all this when I get to middle-aged and be severely Autistic when I am an elderly lady???

CuriousKitten
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 May 2012, 6:08 pm

When it comes to our "modern" medicine, I am in complete agreement with Dr McCoy! I don't take their word for anything, unless it makes sense and leads to a genuine fix. I seldom even consult medical authorities unless I need something from them -- My thyroid doctor says I do my homework O:-).

I've noticed that as I get older, while my ability to hack my hardware and programming to make it do what I need it to do improves, my responsibilities, and resulting stresses, continue to increase to the point that they continue to threaten to overwhelm anyway. For the most part, I do manage to avoid meltdowns in public now, and even, for the most part, avoid or quickly work through shutdowns.

It is possible that light and sound sensitivities may get worse with age.

DigitalDesperado
Raven
Raven

11 May 2012, 6:53 pm

Speaking for myself, having AS never gets any easier but I don't think one automatically becomes more autistic as they age.
I think that the circumstances you find yourself in as you age will be the biggest factor in how you progress or regress.

I've learned to manage my anxiety more effectively over the years, but it is still a huge drain on my energy and my life as a whole

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

12 May 2012, 12:28 am

Joe90 wrote:
I hope not. At the moment I feel I am getting better, more mature, my social skills are becoming better, and I can keep certain behaviours under control a lot better than I used to.

So will I lose all this when I get to middle-aged and be severely Autistic when I am an elderly lady???

Some people are relatively static. Some people improve. Some people get worse.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2012, 12:32 am

I've always read that "classic" autism tends to get somewhat better around midlife; often worst in the early adult years.

If AS = AD (just severity differentiating the two), then you might find that this holds true.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

12 May 2012, 12:36 am

It certainly got better for me. It depends on the person, I guess.

raylit20
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 May 2012, 2:41 am

Atomsk wrote:
Hmm... I've been noticing certain symptoms of mine becoming worse, recently.

Diagnosed AS/HFA as a younger child; I have not been to a psych or anything in over 11 or 12 years though, and my diagnosis came about 17 years ago - I have no idea what diagnosis I would get if I were to go in now.

Age is in the right area - 23. I've noticed much less ability to converse with others, among other things. Humor is an area I am having more difficulty with now - I feel like I'm understanding jokes less, and I just less often find things funny.

Another area of difficulty - socializing that I find useless or pointless, i.e. smalltalk, any social interactions I deem pointless, even including things like "good morning." Another one - when someone states the obvious. Not only am I having difficulty -doing- these things, I'm finding it sometimes unbearably irritating when someone else does.

There's a bunch of other stuff, but I don't really have the energy to keep typing stuff up tonight. I might make a second post later.
Very curious.

I'm 22 now and have been experiencing more difficulty around this age with some things, especially with my attention, organization, and awareness. I also seem to be becoming more socially awkward as I age.

The worst thing for me as of the last year is often trying to think of something and "drawing a blank". I don't recall having this happen ever before in my life. While trying to think of the phrase "drawing a blank" to post this I drew a blank and had to pause for a second.