how old were you when you stopped playing with toys?

Page 4 of 7 [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

how old were you until you stopped playing w/ toys?
10-12 31%  31%  [ 14 ]
12-14 36%  36%  [ 16 ]
14-16 33%  33%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 45

DirtDawg
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2006, 4:06 pm

I will never stop playing with toys. However, in the way that comics so often portray men, in general, as little boys with expensive toys, I fit.

There was a time when I made good money and had no responsibilities. Guess what ... fancy toys came next. I've gotten rid of most of the dangerous ones and still have many ways to entertain myself.

My focus, for my whole life, has been on music and my CD and vinyl collection is huge, my stereo is quite respectable, and we also have a decent surround system for movies. All I need now is the time to play more. Retirement is supposed to do that for a person, but with young kids, we are both very busy. (We are both late bloomers!)

Besides, with kids around, I can enjoy some of the really cool, high tech stuff that they have now days.

invisiblek
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Oct 2006, 9:08 am

I stopped playing with toys once I learned how to read, so probably when I was between 4 and 5 years old. If stimming on toys counts, then I'm not ever planning to stop.

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2006, 12:48 pm

I'll be 33 in five days and still have toys I play with outside of video games. I play with stuffed toys, I love going to Build-A-Bear, dressing them up and playing with fidgit/sensory toys.

drummer_girl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Oct 2006, 5:28 pm

im 22 and i still play with toys meant for 7 yr olds. but i enjoy it so why not lol

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2006, 7:19 pm

Stop playing with toys? Never!!

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2006, 7:38 pm

dgd1788 wrote:
My father is a neurotypical and sometimes plays with toddler toys, he's awesome! I am glad to have him as a dad!

That's pretty cool, and kind of interesting I guess. Like you wouldn't expect a NT to do that at all.

aspiematt
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Oct 2006, 1:50 am

I still collect toys. I don't play with them per say, but they're a part of my life.

I stopped playing when I was 13 or 14.

RTSgamerFTW
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2006, 2:18 am

I stopped playing with my toys around 12 1/2ish.

Dewclaw
Raven
Raven

12 Nov 2006, 1:53 pm

I still get toys for my daughter and play with them. Having a little one has an influence on my interest in toys.

Eschew_Obfuscation
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Nov 2006, 4:57 pm

I'm 18, I play with toys, mainly Legos (mostly Bionicle) and robot-toys like Fur-real friends and minipets and Roboraptor etc. I have a bunchof "talking dolls" but I don't play with them as much because they are geared at 6-year-old NT girls and therefore say really stupid things alot of the time. I'm in college and my $$$ is tight, so when I go to the store I have to resist the urge to go buy bionicles or "talking things" as my family calls the robots. I also paint, and I prefer the kids' poster paints to more "professional" types. I also played a plain-and-simple Let's Pretend until 7th grade, then I stopped for about a year then I started again but the theme was different and I did it until about the beginning of my junior year in high school.

paulsinnerchild
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2006, 7:09 pm

I still play with toys and I am 53. And I know of even a few NTs who have never really grown up as well and play with toys, but I never ever found anything appealing in stuffed soft toys, even as a toddler.

LqdCrct
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Nov 2006, 7:55 pm

I never understood toys. But I loved playing with ideas. When I was young, I would sit for hours by myself, staring off into nothingness or else reading a book while playing with these "ideas" in my head. I did create imaginary worlds and characters in my head, but I never really used my stuffed animals or dolls (of which I had many) for those purposes. I still liked dolls and stuffed animals, but I didn't really "play" with them. I liked how the dolls looked and how the stuffed animals felt. I still have stuffed animals at twenty-six years of age. I still play with ideas when I want to relax. Right now I have a Hogwarts obsession (not Harry Potter necessarily, just the castle, grounds, and village components). I have designed several three dimensional models in my head (they change in each movie, which vary greatly from the layout descriptions in the book). I like to fill in the missing details and "walk around" inside it and around the area during my free time. I have always had an obsession with floor-plans and layouts, really since before I was able to walk at all. I would be set down on the floor and I would make "snapshots" in my head of all the architectural details in whatever room I was in and put them together in my head to make these models. The first ones were all two dimensional line drawings and just in black and white. Now everything is in movie-quality color and detail, totally in perspective and fully manipulative (I can spin it around, invert it, even turn it upsidedown). Anyway,that was always my thing. I got along great with ideas. I was a total flop when my mom's friend's kids tried to get me to play Barbie though. I just didn't get it and I didn't understand what I was supposed to do with that hunk of plastic they shoved in my hands. They thought I was just "eccentric" when I was a kid. AS wasn't really known here until I was well into my teens. After I was diagnosed I just thought "idea play" was typical of most AS kids whereas "toy play" was more typical of NTs. Maybe I was wrong on that part though. Oops.

markaudette
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2006, 11:40 pm

Have I really stopped playing with toys?

I love gaming. And I will love playing video games for the rest of my life. I'm 34 now and will be a gamer for life. And if you've ever played a Final Fantasy video game then you know you can't quit playing them!

But as far as real toys go, I think I was about 12. It was 1984. Maybe when I was 11. I just remember being so enthralled with playing with hot wheels. I was always enraptured by the construction equipemnt toys like the grader or the dump truck. All the other kids wanted to play with the hot cars - the cool fast cars. But me, I loved the contruction euipment. It may have just been my Aspie traits that made me pay such close attaention to the contruction toys.

Then one day I just made the decision that I was simply done with playing with toys. They were boring me at that point. I guess I made the decision that I was almost a grown-up. I had almsot made myself intro a man.

Or so I thought.

About the time I made that decision, Generation 1 Transformers had just came out and I had to have them all. I never played with them liked I played with the Matchbox cars, with all the roleplaying and all. I bought Transofrmers toys because I admired them. But I never played with them like I used to.

ping-machine
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2006, 1:39 am

Define "toys"

I don't reckon I've stopped at all, and I'm 28. :D

WildMan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Nov 2006, 11:11 pm

I remember playing with Weevil people (especially the medieval weapon-swinging variants) at age 17 or 18.

The full-size G.I. Joes, too.

And Legos.

SamuraiSaxen
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2006, 3:36 pm

I played with toys only with my sister, and sometimes alone.

When I played with my younger sister, we used to playing with clay figures, until I was 12/13 years old, because she got bored of toys :(

I collect toys, and nobody knows sometimes I continue playing with them. But my way of playing is more systematic than the way I played with my sister. Sometimes, I watch how my 10 years brother and other kids play, and I think my way of playing is rare.