Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASdogGeek
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2012, 9:08 pm

I found this interesting article what does everyone else think?

Quote:
Tuesday, October 25, 2011
Lung Abnormalities in Children with Autism?
I have no idea what the significance of this could or would be but a presentation at CHEST 2011 suggests that children with autism might have a strange abnormality in their lungs. From a summary of the finding in U.S. News & World report -

In a typical lung, the windpipe, or trachea, branches into two main stems. From there, airways branch off the stems much like tree branches in a random, asymmetrical pattern, said Stewart, a pediatric pulmonologist at Nemours Children's Clinic in Pensacola, Fla.

But in the autistic children, those branches were instead doubled up and symmetrical. And the branches were smaller -- whereas in a normal lung you might have one large branch jutting off, in the autistic child, she'd see two, smaller branches instead.

The abstract of the presentation is below.

Can Bronchoscopic Airway Anatomy Be an Indicator of Autism?
Barbara Stewart, MD
Nemours Childrens Clinic, Pensacola, FL

PURPOSE: The purpose of this study is to investigate possible correlation between certain airway anamolies and a definitive diagnosis of autism and/or autistic spectrum disorder.

METHODS: IRB approval was obtained for a restrospective study to evaluate 49 patients with a diagnosis of autism or autistic spectrum disorder. These patients were seen in the pulmonary clinic with a diagnosis of cough that was unresponsive to therapy and who required further pulmonary work-up. Bronchoscopic evaluation of the airway was included as part of that work-up.

RESULTS: Bronchoscopic evaluations revealed the presence of initial normal anatomy followed by double take-offs in the lower airway (or "doublets") in 100% of the autistic population studied.

CONCLUSIONS: There appears to be a correlation between autistic spectrum disorder and airway anatomy. This is a small study of 49 patients. More investigation is warranted.

CLINICAL IMPLICATIONS: At present autism is diagnosed through subjective observation of "autistic behaviors." Autistic children with cough may be diagnosed objectively.

DISCLOSURE: The following authors have nothing to disclose: Barbara Stewart, Barbara Stewart

No Product/Research Disclosure Information

here is the link
http://autismjabberwocky.blogspot.com/2 ... -with.html

http://autismdoggirl.blogspot.com/
http://stridersautismdogjourney.blogspot.com/

Sparhawke
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Feb 2012, 9:12 pm

*Bangs his head against a wall, repeatedly*

AspieWolf
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2012, 10:11 pm

Fascinating Captain! I do agree that a lot more investigation is required. The obvious question though is, what does this have to do with autism? Interesting. More research should be interesting indeed.

Some of us just have a little more madness than others!

one-A-N
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2012, 10:22 pm

Sparhawke wrote:
*Bangs his head against a wall, repeatedly*

Trying to get rid of your cough? :D

I suppose we should hold back the DSM5 changes, so we can change the criteria for ASD to: "Has double take-offs in the lower airway". Of course, most people reading that will be thinking of aircraft traffic controllers and the like ...

justalouise
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Feb 2012, 11:30 pm

I think that this is actually an interesting point, given that there is a conversation currently happening here on the "general discussion" board re: abnormal breathing patterns. Makes me wonder if there's a possible correlation.

ASdogGeek
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 7:55 am

justalouise wrote:
I think that this is actually an interesting point, given that there is a conversation currently happening here on the "general discussion" board re: abnormal breathing patterns. Makes me wonder if there's a possible correlation.

I'm not sure but that seems like it would make sence. It isn't as wierd of an idea as it sounds. Especially if you believe autism is genetic in some way, thougheven enviormently factors could cause it in early develope,ent. I also know there is other research into abnormalities like this

http://autismdoggirl.blogspot.com/
http://stridersautismdogjourney.blogspot.com/

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 7:57 am

one-A-N wrote:
I suppose we should hold back the DSM5 changes, so we can change the criteria for ASD to: "Has double take-offs in the lower airway". Of course, most people reading that will be thinking of aircraft traffic controllers and the like ...

I think that you are correct, in that the evidence for morphological differences in ASD keeps growing, and in the most unexpected areas. The DSM V is a set of entirely behavioural and subjective criteria. MRI and anatomical differences point to a significant developmental effect preceding any behavioural characteristics.

Wouldn't an objective ASD test be a good thing? Even one based on anatomical differences?

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 9:23 am

this is interesting indeed.
another interesting thing is that more and more physical differences seem to pop up lately.
at first there was the occedental bun, now this; i have also read about several muscles being differently attached (like a shorter heel spring, explaining the preference to toe-walk)...

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 10:46 am

OK, another physical trait I don't have.

I'm considering on going to the doctors to get re-diagnosed, because every physical trait linked to Autism that comes up on WP I don't have or have never had.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 11:01 am

I find this one really interesting. The fact that they can't give a variance because of having 100% correlation, even at just small sample sizes, is impressive.

Joe90 wrote:

Have you actually had someone stick tubes down your throat into your lungs to look in them? This isn't exactly a visible trait from the outside of your body, and isn't a regularly tested trait.

Jtuk
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 2:11 pm

Tuttle wrote:
I find this one really interesting. The fact that they can't give a variance because of having 100% correlation, even at just small sample sizes, is impressive.

Joe90 wrote:

Have you actually had someone stick tubes down your throat into your lungs to look in them? This isn't exactly a visible trait from the outside of your body, and isn't a regularly tested trait.

Quite, don't take this study too seriously. It's a single limited self-selected sample. We can only see the abstract, but there Is no control group.

For all we know this could be like reading tea leavers (or MRI scans for that matter), if you look hard enough you might see whatever you want to see.

Jason

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 2:48 pm

Interesting, but I need more information. First, we need to double check selection bias to see if there is the possibility that all of the sample size may be related. Also, what was the rate of double airways in the control?

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 3:07 pm

Jtuk wrote:
Quite, don't take this study too seriously. It's a single limited self-selected sample. We can only see the abstract, but there Is no control group.

I don't know if this is the same "study" (in that case it wasn't formalized as a study, it was someone having found the pattern when she wasn't looking for it, in her work) as before. She noticed after 10 years of doing these tests on kids that some of the lungs looked different than others, and then noticed the lungs that looked different were in autistic kids, so she went back and looked at her old data and it continued having the same pattern.

If so, there were about 300 NT kids along with the autistic kids, and there remained a 100% correlation.

Every kid who was autistic had these doublets.

No kid who was NT had these doublets.

Cutlass_Jack
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Feb 2012, 3:08 pm

Don't know if I have an abnormal lung shape but I do have Pectus Excavatum which in English basically means I have a hole in my chest.

Jtuk
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 4:05 pm

Tuttle wrote:

I don't know if this is the same "study" (in that case it wasn't formalized as a study, it was someone having found the pattern when she wasn't looking for it, in her work) as before. She noticed after 10 years of doing these tests on kids that some of the lungs looked different than others, and then noticed the lungs that looked different were in autistic kids, so she went back and looked at her old data and it continued having the same pattern.

If so, there were about 300 NT kids along with the autistic kids, and there remained a 100% correlation.

Every kid who was autistic had these doublets.

No kid who was NT had these doublets.

That wasn't mentioned in the abstract.. Perhaps some helpful person with journal access could summarise the full text.

Jason

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 4:41 pm

Why do Autistic people have every possible deformity you can think of?