synesthesia rocks! who here has synesthesia?

Page 4 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

TheHouseholdCat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2012, 8:06 pm

Agemaki wrote:
From what I've studied in art from the early 20th century I've gotten the impression that most people are able to sympathize with the making of associations between various stimuli. Are some people unable to do so?

I associate a lot, but I don't have synaesthesia. Not more than other people, I guess. Because most people have a slight form of synaesthesia. Only few have an extreme form of it. And I don't have that.

"It's how they see things. It's a way of bringing class to an environment, and I say that pejoratively because, obviously, good music is good music however it's created, however it's motivated." - Thomas Newman

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

16 Apr 2012, 9:13 pm

Feline1982 wrote:
Yep, that's enough explanation for me, that it just exists :) I was just wondering if there was something sneaky behind it.

Ok, maybe it's useful to see if key is correct if you can't hear it. In my optimizing mind this just adds there one step too much to use. :)

It'd be pretty handy if one doesn't have perfect pitch. :) Most musicians can tell by ear, though. LOTS of people can tell by ear, even if they can't explain precisely what's wrong.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

16 Apr 2012, 9:14 pm

TheHouseholdCat wrote:
I associate a lot, but I don't have synaesthesia. Not more than other people, I guess. Because most people have a slight form of synaesthesia. Only few have an extreme form of it. And I don't have that.

That's interesting. When I talk to people about synesthesia and describe what I experience they say it sounds like nothing they've ever experienced.

I know most people have associations (which is why I doubted whether I had synesthesia), but I am not sure it works quite the same way.

Also, synesthesia is really common among autistic people.

fefe333
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Apr 2012, 12:34 am

I love my synesthesia :)
i have grapheme- color (words, letters,numbers, names, monthes, days all have a specific color.
i see pain in color to. (wich is why i love having headachs cuz there a gorgeouse shade of green, when i sprained my anle it was a rusty orange)
and my numbers have personalities and genders :D like 7 is bright green and hes a nerd but very nice.4 is yellow and she is very outgoing. 8 is purple and the 'mom' figure. Ect.

aspie quiz results: 172/200
I am suspected to have aspergers, but I'm not diagnosed.

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2012, 11:02 am

Interesting.

TheSunAlsoRises

AScomposer13413
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2012, 12:27 pm

I'm pretty certain I don't have it, but I think it'd be really cool to have sound to colour synesthesia (being a musician). The closest I've come to it is my associating certain musical key areas with certain colours, but the identification is more due to my having a good ear, and I'd have to think hard about which colour I was perceiving at the time.

drchcat85
Raven
Raven

29 Dec 2014, 6:30 pm

I have some forms of synesthesia and I like it!
I have grapheme-color synesthesia (1 is black, 2 is blue, 3 is sylver, 4 is green, 5 is yellowish green, 6 is red, 7 is yellow, 8 is red-orange, 9 is bleu-marin, 10 is white, next numbers have various colors, and letters, days and months have also colors). I think I have also time space sequence synesthesia. The time periods such weeks looks like colored streep charts. For exemple, when I hear "4 weeks", I see 4 green streep charts with working days and weekends.
The sounds, emotions, pain, tactile senses, tastes, desires, ideas, abstract concepts, generates various shapes in my mind. My synesthesia help me to learn. When I learn materials containing abstract concepts, such psychological principles that are almost pure abstract concepts, I see various shapes that I combine them like puzzle pieces that help me to understand the material.

Myers Briggs type - INFP
My brother has classic autism; I am not native English speaker;
Autism spectrum is not disorder, is neurodiversity, talent and originality!

emtyeye
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 7:59 pm

I get strong physical sensations when I hear sound, especially noticeable when I am relaxed and sitting around. The sensations are very variable and occur in all parts of the body, but mostly the torso. They are like waves of energy that move from one side of the body to the other and last about one or two seconds - hard to describe. Certain music will cause a whirlwind of sensation. Sometimes I get it from visual stimuli also, especially an unpleasant site, although the response to sound has nothing to do with the sound being pleasant or not. Synesthesia is very interesting and I enjoy mine.

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 8:18 pm

drchcat85 wrote:
I have some forms of synesthesia and I like it!
I have grapheme-color synesthesia (1 is black, 2 is blue, 3 is sylver, 4 is green, 5 is yellowish green, 6 is red, 7 is yellow, 8 is red-orange, 9 is bleu-marin, 10 is white, next numbers have various colors, and letters, days and months have also colors).

Curious. What numbers, letters, etc... do you associate with the color "clear" ?

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 9:06 pm

I've always found synesthesia interesting. Unfortunately, I've never experienced it.

I have experienced MES (Musical Ear Syndrome) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musical_ear_syndrome . Hearing music where no music is playing. Sometimes, I would hear full songs that I've never heard before, over and over again. Songs that have never really existed. MES has to do with tinnitus and hearing loss. It's not part of a psychiatric condition.

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200

Formally diagnosed in 2007.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 3:55 am

I wonder what ever happened to Verdandi? I miss her.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 4:37 am

I only really get that if I am tripping on psychedelics or really stoned, obviously it is much more apparent with tripping. I do enjoy it though otherwise I would not attempt to achieve such states of mind.

DarkAscent
Toucan
Toucan

30 Dec 2014, 5:16 am

Words have certain tastes to me. Some have tastes and some don't. The word "message" tastes of hot sausage rolls and "good" tastes of cold strawberry yogurt. Others only have temperatures. Like "sure". That word creates a cold feeling across the tip of my tongue.

martyg
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Apr 2015, 4:57 pm

Me. Mine is spatial, timbral, and suggests everything other than colour because I'm colourblind.

One thing that makes movies difficult to watch is the fact that the sound effects are never in the right place. Hollywood doesn't go to that attention of detail. The classic example is the spaceship zooming away at a diagonal on the screen and the sound moves from right to left, no doppler effect, no attention paid to the actual number of dB's you'd be hearing, were space not a vacuum.

Heavy metal suggests furry animals riding motorcycles. Music like this that people call brutal or heavy suggests wrestling or sex.

Melismas (you know, when whoever is actually programming Rhianna's supposed voice gets the computer to sing 5,000 notes on one syllable?) suggest knives slashing, bodies being impaled, etc. Things that will kill you.

The Eagles suggest political corruption. Dance music and hip-hop suggest extreme political corruption. I think it's the insistent beat which suggests the things that started World War II to me.

Music with carefully arranged structure (like classical music) often suggests architecture and is the most interesting.

pirrouline
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Apr 2015, 11:26 pm

When I hear music, I get mental images of colors, shapes and simple patterns of movement, and feel a sensation of them hovering in the space around me. It doesn't happen with individual notes or chords - there has to be some musical relationship. Chord progressions work, and I think monophonic melodies do too.

Aspiewordsmith
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2015, 10:49 am

I'm not sure whether one means synaesthesia without or with drugs such as marijuana or psychedelics which also may be a paradoxical reaction with autism/Asperger syndrome. Where does the phrase 'taste in music' come from? Because when it tool philosophers stones in Amsterdam, I listened to Pink Floyd Echoes (Pompeii version) and tasted apple crumble and custard probably because of the psilocybin. Without this I would have never experienced this without using this back in 2011. I also have seen auras around people when I have been stoned and this is how I have managed to pick up some limited social skills which is a rare paradoxical reaction that I have. I know that this is not 'real synaesthesia' but it like real synaesthesia is an interesting phenomenon that can bring pleasure to those that have it and even be useful.:arrow: