synesthesia rocks! who here has synesthesia?

Page 4 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

DarkAscent
Toucan
Toucan

30 Dec 2014, 5:16 am

Words have certain tastes to me. Some have tastes and some don't. The word "message" tastes of hot sausage rolls and "good" tastes of cold strawberry yogurt. Others only have temperatures. Like "sure". That word creates a cold feeling across the tip of my tongue.

martyg
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Apr 2015, 4:57 pm

Me. Mine is spatial, timbral, and suggests everything other than colour because I'm colourblind.

One thing that makes movies difficult to watch is the fact that the sound effects are never in the right place. Hollywood doesn't go to that attention of detail. The classic example is the spaceship zooming away at a diagonal on the screen and the sound moves from right to left, no doppler effect, no attention paid to the actual number of dB's you'd be hearing, were space not a vacuum.

Heavy metal suggests furry animals riding motorcycles. Music like this that people call brutal or heavy suggests wrestling or sex.

Melismas (you know, when whoever is actually programming Rhianna's supposed voice gets the computer to sing 5,000 notes on one syllable?) suggest knives slashing, bodies being impaled, etc. Things that will kill you.

The Eagles suggest political corruption. Dance music and hip-hop suggest extreme political corruption. I think it's the insistent beat which suggests the things that started World War II to me.

Music with carefully arranged structure (like classical music) often suggests architecture and is the most interesting.

pirrouline
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Apr 2015, 11:26 pm

When I hear music, I get mental images of colors, shapes and simple patterns of movement, and feel a sensation of them hovering in the space around me. It doesn't happen with individual notes or chords - there has to be some musical relationship. Chord progressions work, and I think monophonic melodies do too.

Aspiewordsmith
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2015, 10:49 am

I'm not sure whether one means synaesthesia without or with drugs such as marijuana or psychedelics which also may be a paradoxical reaction with autism/Asperger syndrome. Where does the phrase 'taste in music' come from? Because when it tool philosophers stones in Amsterdam, I listened to Pink Floyd Echoes (Pompeii version) and tasted apple crumble and custard probably because of the psilocybin. Without this I would have never experienced this without using this back in 2011. I also have seen auras around people when I have been stoned and this is how I have managed to pick up some limited social skills which is a rare paradoxical reaction that I have. I know that this is not 'real synaesthesia' but it like real synaesthesia is an interesting phenomenon that can bring pleasure to those that have it and even be useful.:arrow:

selin
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Jul 2015, 2:17 pm

Doubutsu wrote:
I used to thought I had synesthesia until I watch a video about it, a woman said that she can't see when there is loud music playing because the sound invades all her vision, althought I assosiate colors to music they don't invade my vision, they are in another layer(they are mental visualizations). I also can feel the taste of something when I watch it or 'touch' with the eyes but I supose I just have a vivid sensory memory.

no, feeling colours and seeing them in your mind's eye is still synaesthesia.

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2015, 2:26 pm

Who else thinks that maybe newborns generally have synesthesia, but it most often goes away due to neural pruning at various stages of development?

I know it's more common in autists, but is it also more common in young children?

tinyteddy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Jul 2015, 2:27 pm

i have slight synesthesia

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2015, 2:30 pm

...I don't think I do , buutt.........

Jacoby
Veteran