Connection between Lucid Dreaming and Aspergers?

Page 3 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

How often have you had lucid dreams?
Frequently 29%  29%  [ 45 ]
Occasionally 41%  41%  [ 65 ]
Only once or twice in my life 20%  20%  [ 31 ]
Never 10%  10%  [ 16 ]
Total votes : 157

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2012, 12:15 pm

I don't have lucid dreams then. I am always unaware that I'm dreaming, and at the time I think it's real life. Like when I occasionally have those awful dreams about the world ending - they are so realistic and I think it is really happening, then when I do wake up I have to think for a few seconds until I suddenly realise that tomorrow is going to be another normal day and everything is fine, which fills me with relief, then makes me appreciate being alive....for a little while (until I get depressed again).

Inspirations
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Sep 2012, 9:12 pm

I've lucid dreamed since childhood and it's got even stronger now, I very often fly and control environments and often summon shoes on to my feet. I feel lots of textures too.

mrspotatohead
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Sep 2012, 1:51 am

I have omniscient dreams where I experience what each person in the dream is thinking and feeling... it's quite nice considering I am far from being able to do that in real life.

Nikkster26
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Sep 2012, 8:29 am

I have very vivid/lucid dreams almost every night. They seem so real it's scary, part of the reason is my meds. I take 50mg of pristique but even before starting the meds I've always had memorable vivid dreams. It's strange I can remember a time when I was very young when I had a re accruing nightmare that was so vivid I can still tell you specific details about those dreams.

KnarlyDUDE09
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 12:39 pm

I'm not diagnosed (READ SIGNATURE), but I lucid dream almost every night and have been doing it for as long as I can remember...I used to assume that it was a normal thing that everyone had the ability to do, but I recently found out that it's a rare skill.

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNjuB4 ... WnSA552Xjg

AnotherKind
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 1:12 pm

I have very often lucid dreams but i don't think it has something to do with autism.

BTW, lucid dream is when you become aware that you are dreaming too?

KnarlyDUDE09
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 1:29 pm

AnotherKind wrote:
I have very often lucid dreams but i don't think it has something to do with autism.

BTW, lucid dream is when you become aware that you are dreaming too?
Yes, you are aware and can manipulate your dreams whilst you are still asleep.

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNjuB4 ... WnSA552Xjg

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 1:35 pm

Yes, until recently I had VERY vivid dreams and I visited the same 'cities' over and over again so much I could draw them in my sleep. They are virtually identical to real life cities except there are some things you would never see (like some balconies having no railings at all). Sometimes they are so real it takes while after waking up to realize I was dreaming.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 2:28 pm

eightieschild wrote:
I am a self diagnosed Aspie...

This does not mean that you actually have AS; so for you, there is not even a demonstrable correlation, much less a causal connection.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 7:40 pm

mrspotatohead wrote:
I have omniscient dreams where I experience what each person in the dream is thinking and feeling... it's quite nice considering I am far from being able to do that in real life.

I've had those too, but not for a very long time. I would sometimes find them a bit disorienting. I called it the "Quantum Leap effect." :wink: :lol:

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

alhna
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 May 2013, 11:35 pm

Is there any conection between lucid dreaming and asperger? I've done it all my life (lucid dreaming and being AS, just to clarify ;)), and got really surprised when I discovered it's not that common to have that kind of dreams. My guess is at least 50% of my dreams after sunrise are lucid, but even at the middle of the night, if I'm having a nightmare I can just command myself to wake up and stop it, or modify it a little. Pre-sunrise dreams are not that easy to control, but I can stop them. I can rewind and make things better if the dream is not going well, and my senses are all awake. The famous pinching yourself wouldn't work on me, as I have fully operational sensitivity. I know all the time I'm dreaming, and usually can control some of the elements, mostly those who concerns me (can't totally change a city or a person, for example), but anyway I like to let the dream just move on it's own and surprise me. I'm doing it only out of instinct, without training as other people, but never got those weird side effects I read about, like dream paralysis, horrible visions, or the like. Yet, I have pre-sleep visions, usually things like spiders falling, just before I get sleep, if I'm very tired. Haven't experienced one of those in a while, luckily.

I just got curious recently, and wonder if there's any conection between AS and my weird dreams. I have asperger's, got diagnosed about 2 years ago.

Anomiel
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2013, 1:20 am

Callista wrote:
Most nights. But since it takes effort to stay lucid and I don't usually care enough, most of the time I just let things go. If I care enough, I'll go flying, or start throwing random fireballs, or teleport myself somewhere interesting. Some time ago I used to decide what I wanted to do before I went to sleep, and have multiple lucid dreams in a single night--my record is five. I can always tell I'm dreaming because of the quality of my surroundings (the way things only exist if I pay attention to them), and because I can easily move things by thinking about it. Telekinesis is my reality test. :P

I suspect, though, that sleep is not as restful when you deliberately provoke and extend lucid dreams. I think you're forcing your frontal lobe into action, and it's usually kind of zoned out during REM. Anyway, I tend to sleep a little longer when I've gone lucid frequently.

I have a tendency to always want to be hyper-aware. I stayed half-conscious when I was supposed to be anesthetized for having my wisdom teeth out, and have memories from the time when I was under (thankfully the painkillers worked so there wasn't actually any pain; but it does feel quite weird when they're messing with your jawbone). You're not supposed to have memories from that, apparently. But that's pretty light anesthesia... I guess if I were given general anesthesia I'd be out properly.

Hmm. Oh, yeah, and I can also take control of nightmares and wake myself up from them if I want to. Sometimes I do, sometimes I just fight back, or ignore whatever's happening and go off and do my own thing.

I could have written this post. Ditto on all of it! :D
[edited for oversharing :P]

Sciuridae
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2013, 1:49 am

I usually start behaving as I would in real life within my dream on the occasion I do have one, for some reason. I haven't tried to fly or anything; my thoughts are more like "I'm dreaming. This is cool."

I don't have them frequently, but I have had them on occasion.

Mishra2012
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 May 2013, 2:53 am

More than 9 out of 10 nights or long naps. I honestly don't like it much.

Soham
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 May 2013, 3:57 am

Inspirations wrote:
I've lucid dreamed since childhood and it's got even stronger now, I very often fly and control environments and often summon shoes on to my feet. I feel lots of textures too.

I too have been lucid dreaming since childhood, probably since around five years old. At least 3 nights a week. I've always been an oneironaut, before I even knew it. I've never had to give as much effort as some people say it takes for them. It's similar to meditation for me, I have to merely be passively aware and passively interact with the dream, if I give too much awareness to the dream I'll usually awake. Every so often I'll be completely immersed in the dream, really "locked" into it with no chance of awakening, with 100% awareness that it's a dream, it's as vivid and and real as "awake" life, with a surreal feel.

My dreams have only become more intricate and intriguing as I get older. I'll often have long in depth conversations with people I cross paths with in my dreams. These people that I cross paths with and talk to in my dream are not people I know in my life, and they're often aware that it's a dream when I bring up the fact.

I have a mental map of all the places I've ever been to and go to in my dreams, and I remember many of my dreams since childhood. I've had many sleep paralysis experiences through out my life, which I have more or less become used to and actually embrace the fact I experience them as often as I do. I find them to be very interesting experiences, though they were very difficult and disturbing when I didn't know what was happening or how to deal with it. I've experience the entire gamut of phenomena that occurs during sleep paralysis. I've also had out of body experiences, I suppose what some people call astral projection.

All of these things happened to me before I knew what they were, before I had ever heard of such things happening. Over the years I've been much more capable of navigating them. I have a lot to say about dreams and other related strange happenings, one of my interests :lol: . I try not to read too much into dreams though, I just take the experiences as they are.

Soham
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 May 2013, 3:59 am

Sometimes my dreams become overwhelmingly intense and realistic....so much so that it really throws me off, puts me in a weird mood the following day. There are times that I wish I could get a break from them and just have some deep sleep.