Input Needed-A 13 yr old adolescent with Autism lost all

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

leopold
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Feb 2012, 7:47 pm

Your input is needed.
I work with a 13 yr old boy with autism. Within the past yr he lost the ability to go to the bathroom independently, write, speak clearly, read, sit still, and many other abilities.
The MRI and EEG results from pittsburgh, pa came back normal. They told us he would grow out of it by 18 yr old. WHAT!

Has anyone ever heard of a story like this or met anyone like this?

It is so sad and he resembles someone who has a brain injury. Yet they say it is all behavior.

Please all help is needed and welcome.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 7:56 pm

leopold wrote:
Your input is needed.
I work with a 13 yr old boy with autism. Within the past yr he lost the ability to go to the bathroom independently, write, speak clearly, read, sit still, and many other abilities.
The MRI and EEG results from pittsburgh, pa came back normal. They told us he would grow out of it by 18 yr old. WHAT!

It is so sad and he resembles someone who has a brain injury. Yet they say it is all behavior.

By autism do you mean autistic disorder, or are you using a broader meaning of the word?

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Mithos
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 7:58 pm

That's pretty bad. :(

Your Aspie score: 128 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 72 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

leopold
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Feb 2012, 7:58 pm

he is diagnosed with autistic disorder-definitley not aspergers.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

27 Feb 2012, 7:59 pm

I used to be able to speak better as a kid than I do now (and I'm in my mid-20's). My speech started becoming less articulate around age 13 too. While my speech is still coherant, I don't speak as much nowadays unless it's absolutely important, because the wrong words always seem to come out. So I write instead.

leopold
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Feb 2012, 8:02 pm

so sorry to hear you lost your ability to speak well at 13 too.
did they say why it happened?

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 8:09 pm

leopold wrote:
Your input is needed.

Have there been any profound enviromental changes prior to his loss of abilites?
Any possible triggers?
edit: To clarify, I lost abilities when my parents divorced (age 8 ) and I had to move to another place, a change of school, moving to other places in general.

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.

Last edited by Eloa on 27 Feb 2012, 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

eigerpere
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Feb 2012, 8:10 pm

I still have problems with verbal communication but that was always the case. It sounds unusual and sorry I can't be of any help.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 8:20 pm

Is he on any neuroleptic (anti-psychotic) drugs? (They're often used for non-psychotic conditions.) There's a rare-ish condition called "autistic catatonia" or "autistic parkisonism- like deterioration" that can be greatly worsened by such drugs.

Other than that autisics can have regressions. I recall someone mentioning that a long time ago parents were told, "don't bother teaching him too much before adolescence, because he'll forget it all during puberty and will have to re-learn it." I don't know a lot about what is done when regression happens, though.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

27 Feb 2012, 8:21 pm

I used to get seizures starting in my early teens which never showed up on an MRI or EEG (I don't get them anymore). But more than anything, I just shut up because I was depressed and suicidal. I didn't have any friends when I really wanted some. I always said the wrong things at the wrong times and couldn't display my emotions right. The reason I don't speak much these days is probably due to a combination of the two things.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 8:25 pm

leopold wrote:

I knew he didn't have AS, the confirmation that he had AD was more to make sure he didn't have CDD, as unexplained loss of abilities is more of a CDD thing than an AD thing. Try to figure if there has been any changes that may have caused him to regress.

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 8:35 pm

Ganondox wrote:
leopold wrote:

I knew he didn't have AS, the confirmation that he had AD was more to make sure he didn't have CDD, as unexplained loss of abilities is more of a CDD thing than an AD thing. Try to figure if there has been any changes that may have caused him to regress.

I think that change might be puberty, which can be pretty rough and confusing for autistic kids.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 8:42 pm

CrazyCatLord wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
leopold wrote:

I think that change might be puberty, which can be pretty rough and confusing for autistic kids.

I guess, it's the most logical conclusion from the limited information we have been given.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 9:46 pm

Yes, like other posters said, puberty might play into it, or his meds, or changes in his home environment. There is also something else that sometimes causes this. Child abuse, usually sexual, sometimes causes kids to lose their potty training and to regress in other ways, too. They may also act out more, and/or get very withdrawn.

I hope it is just something like puberty or meds. Time will fix the first, and a new prescription can fix the second. His personal environment could also improve, or at least he could grow used to the changes. But abuse is more serious, and doesn't fix even after being ended, as it has a profound and lifelong effect on a person.

leopold
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Feb 2012, 10:07 pm

so thankful to all of the posts. i will do more research on cdd and autistic catatonic .
no changes in his life.
he was on stimulants for years but had a very bad reaction this past year.
he is now on zyprexa and depakote...very zombie like and won't stop walking.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 10:22 pm

It happens, and it's a known phenomenon.

Around adolescence/early adulthood, people with autism can go back to how they were as young children in regards to symptoms, after they improved. It tends to improve later on in life, going back to the symptoms of when they improved after early childhood. This is midlife though.

Nothing you can do.