Finally approved for Social Security Disability

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Antreus
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Mar 2012, 5:59 am

I just want to write this because it was a long road to finally get on the program. There are several people I'd like to thank in particular because they help me in several ways how to think about the questions being asked in my initial paperwork battery (I'm not the best at forms/questionaires, terrible actually). I don't remember their names though.

It was such a relief today really. I had tears coming down my face after I left the office, just from the amount of stress and anxiety I had about the whole thing for the last year. I was fortunate to work with rather friendly government employees at my local Social Security office. I was able to get through it and was shocked that I am receiving upwards to 920 a month now for three years. I qualified with enough work credits and I'm getting backpay from the last year and a half since I applied. I feel like I can finally start solving some problems now and breaking down more barriers for myself that have limited my ability to take care of myself while at the same time working towards my B.A.

All I know is if you're currently waiting for a decision on your application if they ask for any follow up appointments or a psychological evaluation it's probably a good sign, that's what happened in my case. I didn't have to appeal. I think part of this is because I asked for assistance filling out the huge load of paperwork questionaires.

TL;DL

I finally got on SSDi and can finally start piecing together my life, thanks for all the support from the community. I also want to extend to anyone else any tips or advice on applying for SSI/SSDI during the application process. If you're struggling with filling out the questionaires or need some procedural understanding of the process let me know in a message and I"ll try and get back to you ASAP.

Trainbuff
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Mar 2012, 6:33 am

Congats! Stories like this are always nice to hear. :)

Princess78
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: Massachusetts, or in a cottage with seven little men

06 Mar 2012, 11:17 am

Congradulations! And good luck in school, too! What are you studying?

StarBird
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Mar 2012, 11:29 am

Congratulations on getting your life back together! I'd like to know what you're studying too.

You are very likely an Aspie

questor
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2012, 11:56 am

Now you can breathe a huge sigh of relief. The last thing people with disorders, illnesses, disabilities, or other problems need is additional stress from financial worries. Been there, done that, and didn't handle life well at the time. Now you can pay the bills and get some help for your non financial problems, too.

Antreus
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Mar 2012, 7:33 am

Princess78 wrote:
Congradulations! And good luck in school, too! What are you studying?

Hi Princess,

I'm hoping to get an interdisciplinary degree pairing plant biology and computer engineering.

Antreus
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Mar 2012, 7:35 am

questor wrote:
Now you can breathe a huge sigh of relief. The last thing people with disorders, illnesses, disabilities, or other problems need is additional stress from financial worries. Been there, done that, and didn't handle life well at the time. Now you can pay the bills and get some help for your non financial problems, too.

It took like another day for it to sink in a bit more, but now I'm thinking of all the things I can do and get done now that I couldn't do before. I feel surprisingly human for the first stretch of time in about four years.

<3