Page 1 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Sanctus
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2012, 2:49 pm

I plan to go to a live concert next April. It's rather calm music (well, not Death Metal at least) and I think most of the fans will be intelligent enough not to scream around the whole time. Still I wonder if that's really something for me. I mean, I hate being in crowds.

Have you been on a live concert and can tell a little about your experiences?

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2012, 2:55 pm

I have not been to a live concert, but I think that I could go to one if I scream and jump up and down for the whole time there.

Moar Moar Moar sensory can be OK'd by Moar Moar Moar movement for me.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2012, 3:01 pm

Bearable ... but boring.

Being in a crowded auditorium that is filled with loud, smelly drunks while more loud, smelly drunks scream and prance around on stage is no fun for me.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2012, 3:08 pm

I wanted to go to the "All Sides Closing In" tour to see Imperative Reaction (and get a VIP pass), but as I thought more about it, I realized that though I like the band and the music, I would not fare so well with the crowd of screaming fans. I would much rather spare myself the embarrassment of getting forcibly expelled for assaulting someone and simply purchase their albums (I'm aware I'm screwing myself out of an autographed poster and other limited items, but those trinkets are not worth my sanity).

Sanctus
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2012, 3:21 pm

CyborgUprising wrote:
I wanted to go to the "All Sides Closing In" tour to see Imperative Reaction (and get a VIP pass), but as I thought more about it, I realized that though I like the band and the music, I would not fare so well with the crowd of screaming fans. I would much rather spare myself the embarrassment of getting forcibly expelled for assaulting someone and simply purchase their albums (I'm aware I'm screwing myself out of an autographed poster and other limited items, but those trinkets are not worth my sanity).

Imperative Reaction are awesome. :wink:

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2012, 3:23 pm

I've never been to a live concert before, but I can just imagine what it would be like. Frankly loud noises doesn't bother me if I know what I am expecting and have gone to the event for the loud noise, basically. It's more loud sudden noises that bother me, like dogs barking loudly. Also I hate unpredictable or annoying noises, like babies screaming. But, although live concerts aren't my thing anyway, if I wanted to go to one I won't be too bothered by the noise.

On the other hand, I think I would keep coming over all confused and dazed. I heard it could be from some sort of sensory overload, but I've learnt it can also be from stress or anxiety, because NTs who I have spoken to who are anxious and/or lead stressful lives themselves have said that they often get dazed or confused in noisy, crowded places, just like I do. So if I went to a live concert, I'd probably keep blanking out, getting sudden thoughts like ''oh am I really here, or am I just dreaming or daydreaming all of this?'' I often get like that at noisy, crowded places. I think it's due to social anxiety, too.

FalsettoTesla
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2012, 3:26 pm

Personally I have found concerts to be just about bearable if I can stand at the back, near the exits and the music isn't too bass heavy. But, mostly concerts just make me panicky, upset and flustered.

IDontGetIt
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Oct 2012, 3:30 pm

Concerts are the one place I can tolerate crowds, possibly because I am fully absorbed in what's happening on the stage.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

17 Oct 2012, 3:33 pm

I've seen Pearl Jam and Alice in Chains in a small venue, and Kings X and AC/DC in a large venue. It was a whole different level from loud noises that cause me problems and was enjoyable, if somewhat deafening.

On my worst days I couldn't tolerate it. On my best days, I might be able to enjoy it, based on that.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2012, 3:39 pm

Sanctus wrote:
I plan to go to a live concert next April. It's rather calm music (well, not Death Metal at least) and I think most of the fans will be intelligent enough not to scream around the whole time. Still I wonder if that's really something for me. I mean, I hate being in crowds.

Have you been on a live concert and can tell a little about your experiences?

Sanctus, here is an old Wrong Planet blog entry I posted 4 years ago. I think it speaks for itself:

Quote:
YEEEEOWW! What's your favourite colour, baby? 11-02-2008 01:35 pm CyclopsSummers's Blog

I originally wanted my first blog entry to be an introductory bit, but I am so excited, I'm gonna skip that until next time.

Yesterday, I went to see the band Living Colour in concert. You may know them from their hit 'Cult Of Personality' back in 1988, and you may love 'em or hate 'em. I happen to love them quite a bit, and I usually never go to concerts at all, because I don't have the money.

But I digress. There were a couple of nuisances, in the beginning and the end. Wether it was the accoustics of the hall, or bad quality of the microphones, the sound at first didn't come out as it was supposed to. The band themselves can't be the blame: Corey Glover's voice is still amazing, one of the best rock singers of the late 80s and early 90s; drummer Will Calhoun was ON FIRE (extended drum solo), Vernon Reid is a beast on the guitar, and Doug Wimbish plays all the pre-Stain songs with as much skill as his predecessor Skillings (if not more). It was awesome to see them all, standing only meters away from me (because, like I said, it's not often that I see any of my idols live), and it was great to sing along to 'Pride' and 'Never Satisfied'. Doesn't REALLY matter that my ears got blown off along the way.

Toward the end, however, there was a drunk guy in the crowd who decided it would be fun if he pretended to be a human beach ball, hurling his body through and between everyone else, creating a bit of chaos. What surprised me was that nobody seemed to mind; I understand that there was a lot of drinking (I don't drink, myself, my dad is an alcoholic and I'm afraid I'd get addicted as well), I don't know if this is common practice on music venue, but it made me a little bit jittery. But at the end, Corey climbed into the crowd and passed a great number of people, which was very cool.

But hey, even aside from having seen one of my favourite bands ever, I think this experience was good for me. I was in a BIG crowd, all on my own (gotta love that contrast), there was the annoyance of waiting for what seemed to be an hour between the opening act and Living Colour themselves, there was the incident with the drunk guy(s), and I had to wait for my coat for a couple of minutes in a small room packed full of people. And I didn't freak out once, and I walked out the club with a smile on my face. Little victory, that is. Heh, I originally wasn't going to talk about my autism in this blog entry, but here it went and snuck in. I suppose that's just the way it is.

So, Mr. Reid, Mr. Calhoun, Mr. Wimbish, and Mr. Glover, thank you for a great show. I needed all Sunday to recover. And it was an odd experience to see so many white people sing along to 'Pride' from the top of their lungs.

After that experience, I only went to 2 more 'actual' concerts. Not that I dislike concerts, but I rather prefer it to be a rare thing, so that it remains special (and also, the factor of loud, large crowds plays a part in considering whether or not I will go there, next to financial concerns).
Anyway, the first one was in a relatively small, intimate venue. A singer with acoustic guitar. The crowd was okay. Pretty mellow, the people in the crowd did talk and drink a bit, but it wasn't overbearing, so I could block it out.
The second one was in a concert building that is usually the stage for classical music, but the singer in question was Melody Gardot, who does jazz/blues-inspired pop. So that was a lot more orderly than your average pop/rock concert. Also had a blast there.

When I'm in the crowd, in general, I pretty much ignore the people around me and focus on the artists and their music. Of course, if someone says something to me, I'll talk back (but I can't recall that that ever happened).

I think, in my case, I CAN attend a concert, but beforehand, I need to prepare myself mentally. Nothing specific, I just need to concentrate on getting into the right state of mind, and maintain a positive emotional mood. I've cancelled crowded events before for not being in a positive mood.

So I hope this helps you a bit.

EDIT: Oh, by the way, the whole drunk-guy-beach-ball thing going on was in fact a MOSH PIT. I only learned weeks later what a mosh pit was. :oops:

finger
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Oct 2012, 3:42 pm

Not at all, I find my self standing around like a brick. I want to move and act like everyone else but I'm being over stimulated.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2012, 4:01 pm

My first live rock concert was a Grassroots concert. The seats were back in the corner and not crowded at all.

In general, I prefer smaller venues. Some place like Anderson Fair in Houston, http://www.andersonfair.com, is just about perfect for me, but much too far away now. There are plenty of venues like that in many cities.

There's one series of annual concerts held outdoors that I'd like to attend but am never around is at St. John's College in Santa Fe, New Mexico, the Music on the Hill series, http://www.stjohnscollege.edu/events/SF/music.shtml.

There are also a number of country and folk music festivals around during the year. One old friend of mine plays at a number of them. I've heard very good things about the Kerrville Folk Festival, http://www.kerrville-music.com/, but have never gone.

The Canadian River Music Festival, http://www.canadianrivermusicfestival.com/, is quite popular. For something more laid back, there is the Old Mobeetie Music Festival. Take a tent or a lawnchair and relax for three days.

There used to be a four times yearly event in Lipscomb, Texas called the Naturally Yours Dance Platform (or something like that). The town of Lipscomb would go from around a population of about 50 to something like six or seven hundred for the day. I found these pictures with Google: http://www.flickr.com/photos/massenar/with/2603556298/#photo_2603556298. There has been talk about building dance platforms in other local towns, but I don't know if they've actually done it. It really takes a place like Lipscomb to give it the right character.

cherrycoke
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Oct 2012, 4:07 pm

I've been to far more than my fair share, I actually think I may have surpassed the hundreds mark and made it into the thousand. My uncles have been playing since before my birth so a large chunk of my childhood memories are made up of smoke filled clubs, loud music and men in bright coloured spandex wearing stupidly large wigs, the days everyone thought glam-rock was cool :scratch: I joined a band my self in my teens and put on concerts plus going to support other bands and festivals. In my opinion the hardest thing to do is let your self drop 100 IQ points and go mad like everyone else, but once you do you get why its good, you can just pretend like you have no responsibilities or worries for the duration of the concert :cheers:

Makes me wonder, since I know a lot of people with ASD's don't like concerts or loud music, maybe the reason I don't have sensory issues is due to repeat exposure, concerts have been in my life as far back as I can remember and according to my childhood photos further back than that again.

aspiebeauty87
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Oct 2012, 5:22 pm

I've been to 3 concerts in my life. They are fun only if you come prepared with earplugs, hat, sunglasses and a big friend like a bodyguard to push people out of the way so you could pass the crowds of people (that last part i was joking about but seems fun). You just need to know what triggers you and come prepared for everything. That's what i had to do also. Me personally I HATE NOISE and tons of people. I thought i was going to have a heart attack in all those crowds of people but that's the key thing make sure you have a good plan and back up plans just in case. For example, do bring a friend and make sure you 2 could find each other by holding handchiefs to each other etc (sorry for my bad spelling).

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2012, 5:42 pm

I've been to three concerts. Two were black metal concerts, and one was a rap concert. The "Ice Cube" rap concert was the most recent one last year. It seemed more laid-back than the other concerts I've been too, and the bass wasn't quite as loud either. That was a surprise since rap usually has way more bass than metal.

Si_82
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2012, 5:53 pm

Rock music has been a big part of my life for as long as I can remember so I have been to many gigs and also festivals. They do have their fair share of chalenges such as people pushing you and loud volume, lots of lights etc but if I'm passionate about the band I will cope with all that and just get lost in the experience of the performance and the music. Crowds do stress me out normally but, if everyone around you is also crazy about the band it lends a sense of connection I think as you know you are all sort of on the same page and there for the same reason.

I used to be in a band years back and we had a few small-venue gigs. It is one of the few times where I have had attention on me and not felt too anxious. I think it is like you're playing a role almost like acting so, whatever you do, you are not being judged by the normal rules of society. It is quite liberating actually and I miss that sense of freedom.

Alexithymia: 137