Dont mind 15%  15%  [ 23 ]
Dislike 28%  28%  [ 42 ]
Hate 45%  45%  [ 68 ]
Total votes : 150

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2019, 6:46 am

i wish online stores let you try 'em on first. such a hassle to box 'em back up and ship 'em back if they don't fit. there is no real uniformity of sizes, one make's size 36 is just one make's size 36.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

21 Aug 2019, 6:59 am

It's frustrating. I have very particular kind of looks which does not work well with most of the styles. Searching for something that I could possibly like on myself is long and overwhelming. Then I get tunnel vision and all I can feel is an urge to get away.
Online shopping is as frustrating as colors are often not exactly the same and you can't predict accurate size or feel.

On the other hand, I don't like to own many things and sometimes I think of all the money I have saved by not doing shopping unless absolutely necessary.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2019, 7:17 am

auntblabby wrote:
i wish online stores let you try 'em on first. such a hassle to box 'em back up and ship 'em back if they don't fit. there is no real uniformity of sizes, one make's size 36 is just one make's size 36.

After years of looking through used pants and having to measure their legs, I finally found a pair labelled with my size. It was the wrong label, right from the factory.

I only shop on-line as an absolute last resort. There have been some epic errors on other items, and many dollars unrecovered. It also tends to cost more carbon, shipping single items.

I am very poor at observing people, partly because I was taught not to stare, and so what looks like a good fit to me may look silly to others. I have to remember to check.

Apart from seasonal items, I think the ideal wardrobe size is enough to stay clothed with everything else in one washing machine.

I have always bought new shoes, but my friend is delighted with his used ones.

I don't buy used clothes in my small town, because I don't want them to be recognized.

What I want for winter wear indoors must be either an obsolete style, or a strictly foreign one. I'm thinking of getting the closest thing available, but it only comes in stiff, outdoor cloth.

I don't know how my choice of clothes affects my image; I just try to blend in, by my very loose standards. The only guy I knew who used a mirror and would change clothes 3 times before going out was not very good looking without them, but he got many dates. Women seem to appreciate the effort.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2019, 7:22 am

i was told on more than one occasion, that no matter what i wore, i always stood out like a sore thumb. even in the army in my BDUs i stood out like a sore thumb among the other GIs wearing the same blinkin' thing! :alien:

fjoois
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Aug 2019, 8:37 am

has made it easy for me, so I have to only go in to replace my jeans when they rip and I just get the same type to keep that quick and simple.

Last edited by B19 on 14 Nov 2019, 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.: spammer

ERB
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Aug 2019, 1:35 pm

I hate shopping at new stores. I'm really only comfortable in stores that I've been desensitized to over the years, which is like three stores, or malls that have glass ceilings. I hate any other mall and while I like clothes I can't stand shopping when I'm looking for something particular and nothing ever seems to be comfortable. I pretty much live in stretch shorts and oversized t-shirts (no tags).

KoalaKid1578
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Aug 2019, 3:28 pm

I mostly take a gamble on online shopping now a days when it comes to clothes. I've been quite fortunate and have found some nice fitting clothes, and I just multiples of those that I like. Going to stores to try on clothes is one of my least favorite things to do. So, anything I can do to avoid that I will do.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2019, 4:30 pm

We hates it, Precious!

I can count the number of times I go clothes shopping in a year on one hand, and probably still have fingers left over.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Evil_Chuck
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Aug 2019, 7:31 pm

I don't like it at all. Too public, and it takes too long. I decide on something I want and then order it online.

FUNNY DEATH METAL LYRICS OF THE WEEK: 'DEMON'S WIND' BY VADER
Clammy frog descends
Demon's wind, the stars answer your desire
Join the undead, that's the place you'll never leave
You wanna die... but death cannot do us apart...

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2019, 10:58 pm

Evil_Chuck wrote:
I don't like it at all. Too public, and it takes too long. I decide on something I want and then order it online.

have you ever ordered something and it didn't fit when you tried it on?

Cavycat
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Aug 2019, 6:55 pm

As a woman who wears uncommon sizes in certain clothes (shoes, pants, bras), it's a pain to buy enough. I've hated shoe and bra shopping since I was a child due to my mother buying the wrong sizes for over a decade. I need to try the items on, but stores don't have my size that often.
Up until two years ago, I couldn't find the clothes I like reliably in stores. I generally wear thicker fabrics because I get cold easily, and the women's section doesn't have that. I also hate that the basics aren't carried year-round.
During the summer months, I wear a lot of blouses and need undershirts, as some of mine expose my chest, which I'm not comfortable with. I generally have to buy t-shirt style ones from the boys' section because the men's section doesn't reliably carry x-small ones. My blouses, interestingly enough, are typically bought in the autumn/winter fashion season because I want sleeves.
In the winter, the material is too thin, since I get cold without a coat on days in the low 60s Fahrenheit (unless I'm wearing an extremely thick sweater). My best sweaters are from Savers (a thrift store chain), and are heavy duty. If it's under 55 Fahrenheit, jeans are too thin, I need my corduroys and a standard puffer coat.
Also, since what is carried changes every single year, I have to wait for what I like to be back in fashion. I cover all of my skin except for my face and hands, as that's what I'm comfortable with. Anything else causes overwhelming sexual stimulation that is unbearable. Anything under 45 Fahrenheit results in thermals and the one Canada Goose coat that is vegan.
I also have to shop in the same places as my mother, because she is my transportation to the shops. She always goes to the stores that run large (Old Navy, etc.) and I can't stand leaving empty handed when she pressures me to buy something, typically pants. Most stores don't physically have too many pants with a 26" waist size in stock, and the lower the randomly assigned number is, the less likely it is to be in stock. I personally like going to stores that run smaller so I have more style options.
I actively avoid shopping for clothes for the spring/summer fashion season (March-August) because I know I will find nothing I like. I got excited last week when Walmart started putting autumn clothes on display, as their White Stag brand tees are the best. They're thick, and turtlenecked. The only places I can find reliable clothes (excluding undergarments) year-round is H&M. I got three button-ups in earlier this month for work. During cooler months, Gap is the only place that has reliably thick material in clothes.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2019, 9:31 pm

What a coincidence. I've been buying pants with a 26" waist! I can wear 25 but I like the looser fit of 26.

I found lot of warm sweaters at the end of the winter clothes season. The warmest one came from Forever 21. I also found a couple in the Kohl's discount racks in the Junior's section, size XS, that were under $10 each. You can now buy stuff online from Amazon and return it via Kohls. H&M was one of the few stores I didn't buy a sweater as their XS/S was too wide in the shoulders for me.

I got a size 2 or XS Land's End T shirt that has a thicker fabric via Amazon. I made sure to get the shaped fit rather the relaxed fit.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2019, 5:59 pm

I actually love shopping but have a bit of a tacky taste i think.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2019, 6:29 pm

mee too :mrgreen:

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2019, 7:44 pm

Even though I hate trying clothes on I'd love to go clothes shopping. I just can't afford to because I'm so poor.

When Andrew Yang is president and I get my $1k a month I'm going to buy a lot of new clothes and throw out a bunch of my old clothes that are very old and wearing out or don't really fit any more.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2019, 7:56 pm

mee too! :o