Is anyone embarrassed to come out of the closet, like me?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

jimsnodgras
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Aug 2019, 9:12 pm

Is anyone else too embarrassed to come out of the closet?

I don't want to march around in front of my family and friends with a big fat name tag saying that I have level 1 autism (Asperger's Syndrome). By the way this means that I have a lack of common sense, inappropriate (fill in the blank), I don't get jokes, and have poor social skills. Now-a-days people think we're all Sheldon Cooper or a lone wolf who wants to shoot-up a school. I don't think public perception and stereo-types of autistic people is very positive. :(

See this site for all these "wonderful" traits listed. (Everyday health: Asperger’s Syndrome: What Are the Signs and Symptoms of the Disorder?)

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2019, 10:03 pm

I am being encouraged to not "label" myself (including getting a formal diagnosis). Poking fun: How would one get healthy inserts for a shoe that fits if they can't provide the size or form of the shoe? I guess I'll just continue to run around barefoot and find soft ground or develop better callouses.

So for now, I am taking the step of describing myself:
* well, you know me, honest to the nth degree...
* warning sassy: well, you know me, I don't "understand" that joke... because it's not funny!
* well, you know me, looking out for the little guy or gal...

...and what I need is... ??? ---- first I'd like to be proud of myself (for all I am), that's a start.

Wishing you well in your choose-your-own-adventure part of this story.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2019, 5:09 am

I've recently been volunteering at a Salvos shop and I haven't told anyone there that I'm autistic. I'm a bit embarrassed because I don't want to be seen as the one who needs special treatment. As it is I've said no to learning how to operate the till. I think the boss is a bit annoyed by that but I'm a volunteer, they should appreciate the work I can do.