Adults: What are your earliest memories?

Page 4 of 7 [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

MudandStars
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2012, 12:51 am

I vaguely remember baby learn to swim classes (just the toys in the water) and remember Kindermusik from when I was about 3.

?Two men looked through prison bars; one saw mud and the other stars.? Frederick Langbridge

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2012, 3:08 am

lostgirl1986 wrote:
I remember watching "You Can't Do That on Television" and "The Muppet Show" every Sunday night.

Two of the most intelligent children's shows ever to air, I'd say. Especially the latter one. My parents actually enjoyed watching it with me ... they threw in material for adults too, some of the jokes were obviously beyond children's comprehension.

ciano
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 May 2012, 3:21 am

I can remember what my uncle's house in Italy looked like when I was two. I can also remember being in my crib at home. My mother left my bedroom door open and the hall light on; it cast shadows of the bars of the crib on the wall. Not knowing what shadows were, I found them very curious.

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2012, 4:17 am

I can remember everything continually from when I was age five (Kindergarten time). I also have about two years of fragmented memories from before that. Birthdays, holidays stuff like that. I'm sure I don't remember anything from before age three.

CSBurks
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2012, 4:25 am

My earliest memory if from when I was very young. My mother yelling at me while I was in the kitchen. I don't remember why she was yelling.

umenneske
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 May 2012, 4:50 am

My first memories are from when I was 1,5 - 2 years old. We moved to a new apartment when I was 2, so all memories about the old apartment must be from the earlier time. I remember how I watched ants on the wall, how I walked with my mom, how I was afraid of my dad's headphones.
My memories from age 4 - 5 are already as vivid as later memories.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2012, 9:03 am

edgewaters wrote:
lostgirl1986 wrote:
I remember watching "You Can't Do That on Television" and "The Muppet Show" every Sunday night.

Two of the most intelligent children's shows ever to air, I'd say. Especially the latter one. My parents actually enjoyed watching it with me ... they threw in material for adults too, some of the jokes were obviously beyond children's comprehension.

Yes, I loved that show. It was a show where my whole family could sit down and laugh together.

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2012, 1:16 pm

I know I replied to this one quite a while back, but I see I overlooked a possibly important fact. My earliest memories co-incide with my regaining speech. Which is ver interesting, now that I think of it.
And that they are dreams, also interesting, but less important. The weird thing was that they seem to be *ADULT* stye dreams. Not the usual Allosaurus chasing me up a long staircase. My obsession with dinosaurs had some unintended side effects! :?

Sincerely,
Matthew

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2012, 1:33 pm

My earliest memory is watching a pig toy rolling across my grandmothers living room floor when I was one year old, I have odd little memories like that but they are short small memories that randomly popped into my head over the past few years and which I've been able to cement into my memory so I don't forget them again.

I have serious memory problems, prior to 16 I can't really remember anything at all, after 16 I can remember what happened but in the sense of being able to recall what happened as if it happened to someone else so I can't remember how things felt.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

Oberoth
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2012, 1:57 pm

The earliest memories I can recall clearly are:
Running from a shop where my mother had brought me, and going to find my grandmother, not being at home I realised she must be in the supermarket and went in there to find her. I found her, and then being picked up by the gardai and getting out of the police car with her, and thats all i remember of that. this would be at age 3

Sitting on a hill watching sheep being herded into a pen in carlingford at age three.

Interrupting a mass by walking upto a priest and asking him why I had to be there. My grandmother then finally took me home, My goal was achieved. this would have been around age three.

Those are the two earliest memories I have.

SpiritBlooms
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2012, 2:21 pm

My very earliest is when I was 2 to 2-1/2, of playing on the back steps of our house with a cocker spaniel pup. My mom couldn't believe I remembered something that early, but I described the back door and dog so well, she couldn't deny it. The dog's name was Penny.

My next earliest memories are from when I was 4 years old.

I don't know why some people have earlier memories than others, but playing with that dog was a super-delightful experience for me. I still love animals a great deal.

In a class once I met someone who could remember the experience of being born. I've heard that happens occasionally that someone will remember something that early.

My older sister doesn't remember as many details of early childhood as I do, and she's not an Aspie. So if I were to base a conclusion on that, I'd say it has nothing to do with autism. But I really have no idea.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2012, 3:18 pm

My earliest memory was laying in my crib an just watching a dog that got in the house and was sniffing around my crib. I don't know who's dog it was but I just lay there watching it. I think that was when I became fascinated with animal. That was a couple of months before my 2nd birthday.

I remember many things in detail from age 2-5. Some events I remember like being there; Sights, smells, temperature, sound, taste, state of mind, etc.. One of my more interesting memories was the 1st day of kindergarten. All the kids were in a big room with all the parents on the 1st morning and I just watched everyone. Then every other kid in the room started crying almost at the same time. I just stood there not understanding why they were all crying. It was years later that I understood why they were crying, because their parents were leaving. I didn't have that kind of bond with my parents so it didn't bother me at all that they were leaving. In fact, this memory was one of the factors that led me to seek a AS evaluation.

P.S. I also remember some of my dreams from ages 2-5.

AnotherKind
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2012, 3:24 pm

I have very fresh memories when i were about 2 years old. And i really don't see big changes
It's strange that people learn only how to be like others, but they never change their true personalities.

caffeinekid
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Nov 2017, 2:08 pm

I was going to post this thread but I thought I better search first and here it is. :)

I was trying to think of my earliest memories and maybe if they said anything about me.

I've asked a couple of other people and they generally say they have first memories of parents, or playing with siblings etc.

My memories are not of people, they are of things. I only have two memories from before I was about four years old.

I have a memory of a wall mounted electric can opener, which obviously fascinated me, and a memory of a Tonka truck sitting at the bottom of the stair case of a house I guess I lived in when I was very young.

I keep saying I don't find people very interesting and would rather be with my things that I feel safe with, or tinkering with stuff. I guess I've always been the same.

RubyWings91
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Nov 2017, 2:17 pm

My earliest memory was of me waking up from a nightmare crying in a crib until my mom came in and carried me into her and dad's bed room across the hall. It had to be some time after my second birthday because I've been told that we lived in a different house before that. The only thing that may be a memory from there is of a lavender color (which happened to be the color of the walls there) and I suspect that might be something that my mind made up more likely than being a true memory. Therefore, I count the one I described above as my first definite memory.

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2017, 4:17 pm

Reading the title of this post my mind jumped to a relatively bad memory from when I was about five.
But I didn't want to recall that one and write it down, and came instead to the day that I learned how to ride a bike, when I was three.
Little bitty red bike with a lion on it, no training wheels. Either my grandpa or one of my uncles pushed me out across the yard yelling "keep pedaling!".
That was pretty much it. I figured out how to ride a bike within an hour.
Then I got my first flat tire. Ended up with a nail about six inches long going through the tire, only about a twelve inch wheel. I remember my grandpa patching the tire, at least one uncle around, everyone just like "wow! How did you get that giant nail into that tiny little tire?!"
I think that's my earliest memory.