Can hear the whir of electronics, going crazy!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Quarky
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Apr 2012, 6:32 am

Lately, I haven't been able to get to sleep because the electronic noises in my neighborhood keep me awake. If I let my mind drift away from controlling my senses (I've been able to sort of help myself not hear things if I try, I feel like something's taking over my mind, putting cotton in my ears, making everything numb with noise. Like being hypnotized, almost. I see lights flitting around under my eyelids at the rate of the noises I hear and my head feels pressurized. This never really happened before. I've always been sensitive (i.e. having to cover my ears when my mother vacuumed, flushing a toilet, driving on a bad road.) Recently, every single ONE of my symptoms has gotten worse. But so has my memory, my piano playing, my engineering, and my drawing! I wonder if they're correlated? Does anyone else have this particular "electronics" problem, and has anyone just had a sudden spike in their symptoms?

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 11:37 am

well i get more sensitive hearing during my time of the month....

sociable_hermit
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 9:01 pm

I'm very sensitive to low-level humming and bleeping noises, like the whir of a PC fan, or a car alarm going off in the distance. I would rather they were loud than on the edge of my hearing.

kBillingsley
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Apr 2012, 9:12 pm

Electronics a problem? HA! I laugh at the very prospect. Electricity is always the solution. But if it is any consolation, when I was younger flyback transformer noises in television sets used to bug me. In contrast, the 60Hz hum of mains current has always been a very soothing noise for me. I love parking lot lights and power line transformers; they supply me with the sound. Also songs using noises reminiscent to the 60Hz hum, such as the instrumental to Kanye West's "Hell of a Life" have an appeal to me.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 9:18 pm

My family still doesn't believe me when I say that I can hear a loud electronic hum from TV sets and wall outlets. They also thought I was joking when I said I can hear dog whistles.

AspieAshley
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Apr 2012, 9:19 pm

Does your city have a noise code? In most US cities, it's considered fine to make loud noises during the daytime, but not after a certain time at night (unless it's somehow nescessary to make the noise at night). Check your city's noise ordainances--you might be able to find them on it's web site.

What's making noise? Do you sleep during the day?

Spring is like the worst time of the year for "yard noise" because everybody is crazy to mow their lawn and stuff. I have days when I practically have to wear earplugs all day this time of year. What's worse, some of my neighbors mow lawn when it clearly doesn't need to be mowed, like every other day. And they use power tools for conveiniece when hand tools would get the job done just as well.

Artemisia_Amaryllis
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Apr 2012, 10:02 pm

I've often been told that I'm being ridiculous for complaining about "television hiss" - not the static sound, but that small, grating, high-pitched noise a television makes when you turn on a VCR or DVD player but haven't put a movie in it yet. Computers, too - I know when it's doing something, because I can hear the disk activity.

The answer, I think, is a good pair of noise-canceling headphones. :? I just wish I could afford a pair.

Rakshasa72
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 10:20 pm

i used to think I was crazy because I could hear the buzz from the old CRT TVs. Then one time in the Navy they made me retake the hearing test 3 times because they thought I was cheating. Nowdays nothing much bugs me hearing wise. Maybe it's just too many Metalica concerts or working around Jets in the Navy but, I don't hardly even think about using hearing protection when I'm using power tools at work. Also I sleep with a noise maker most of the time. Nice waves crashing on the beach, rain or water falls are very soothing.

Taybot97
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Apr 2012, 10:25 pm

I can relate here. I currently hear computer fans. I have an Xbox which are notorious for being loud anyway and lastly I have a third party DA charger that rings when it's not charging the DS. I try to ignore it but it's very bothersome