Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2012, 2:32 pm

So, for some reason I went from being incredibly eager to chat to people online (through text, not video/phone or such) to becoming anxious whenever anyone messages me. This doesn't seem to apply to forums such as this one, due to it not being real-time (not to mention passive, as most replies aren't directed at the topic starter, but the topic).

It seems that over time I associated the anxiety that I always got face-to-face, to speaking with people online... that, even though there wasn't an iota of fear the first time I chatted with someone, now any time anyone directs anything remotely associated with myself I get this surge in emotions.

I know this isn't strictly related to AS, but anxiety could be a by-product...

Jtuk
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2012, 4:27 pm

Mootoo wrote:
So, for some reason I went from being incredibly eager to chat to people online (through text, not video/phone or such) to becoming anxious whenever anyone messages me. This doesn't seem to apply to forums such as this one, due to it not being real-time (not to mention passive, as most replies aren't directed at the topic starter, but the topic).

It seems that over time I associated the anxiety that I always got face-to-face, to speaking with people online... that, even though there wasn't an iota of fear the first time I chatted with someone, now any time anyone directs anything remotely associated with myself I get this surge in emotions.

I know this isn't strictly related to AS, but anxiety could be a by-product...

I can understand what you are going through. When a new communications channel is novel, I don't have too many problems, but once I get used to it, I tend to notice that I have the same communications issues online as face to face.

Forums are not so bad, it's different when I'm not communicating with an individual. It isn't an anxiety thing as such for me.

Jason.