Autism/Asperger's and Emotions: What emotions can you feel?

Page 2 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Pileo
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2012, 6:57 pm

I feel like my emotions are duller than most or inappropriate for the moment. Though the dull emotions thing is probably due to depression. When I do have emotions, they just feel like blob of string in my chest and I can't seem to untangle it all.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2012, 7:20 pm

I am unable to feel hate. I rarely, if ever, feel anger. (Though I do act angry, usually when I'm scared.)

I have a reduced feeling of loneliness, but I've definitely felt lonely at times.

I don't feel embarrassed, just scared of being teased. (I know it's not embarrassment because I don't blush or show other physical signals distinctive to embarrassment.)

I am also asexual.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2012, 7:23 pm

I feel every emotion, however, in public I simply cannot express anger, I don't understand why. I don't feel hate much, and I struggle to express when I am stressed.

SpongeBobRocksMao!

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2012, 11:03 pm

I feel most emotions, I think; the ones I do feel I feel very strongly. I don't think I've ever felt hate (and not "hate" in the causal "I hate this place" definition, but all out loathing), jealousy, or the desire to exact revenge on another person. I don't know what it means to be in love romantically with someone. I rarely get angry, though when I do, it can be explosive (most of my anger is probably moreso frustration than true anger). I feel empathy gratitude, and regret, but it's uneven, and I have a hard time expressing it (saying "happy birthday," for instance, is something that's exceedingly difficult). I often have difficulty controlling my emotions, too.

HairlessAlbinoCat
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Apr 2012, 11:29 pm

That I can notice I have only six and sometimes a seventh emotion that I can sort of pin point

When I talk to people I sometimes feel laughter but most times I feel frustration from not being able to express my thoughts easily. Also embarrassment when ever I conclude that I have definitely made a fool of my self, most times that I feel it and recognise it easily are times that I have not embarrassed my self so there wasn't any need to feel embarrassed.

When I am alone and reflecting or watching a film by my self I may feel sorrow, I am a sucker for this one, today I almost cryed when I contemplated the possibility of a seed not being sowed and thus die and shrivel for ever. I feel sorrow almost all the time that I am alone and contemplating other's sorrow. Also when I am alone I can feel what I call cathartic be-rapture-ment , I get this mostly listening to classical music or pretty much with any ominous display, but always when absolutely alone. I can also feel happiness when I feel I have accomplished something I care about I notice it because I start giggling rather awkwardly.

Lastly sometimes I manage to differentiate hunger from anxiety.

I am pretty sure I have alexithymia so those are pretty much it

Ooh ooh, I also feel boredom, so eight emotions, but sometimes it can take a long time before I notice that I am actually bored and not sick or something.

Finally I don't know if this counts but sometimes I experience others emotions as my own when hearing or contemplating them but those emotions aren't all the ones there are, mostly just others sadness - Sometimes it compels me to go way out of my way to help others. People often tell me I've overplayed my understanding of their problems

kBillingsley
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Apr 2012, 11:42 pm

Funny you should ask that. I can actually remember when I 'discovered' emotion at about age two. I was watching television (Nickelodeon kids network) and thought a moment about happiness and sadness; it was then that I realized that there are other emotions to go with them. I next rationalized anger, and then considered that emotions have intensity as well. From then on my understanding of emotion has been mostly intellectual. Though I do feel them, I think that that one fateful moment in my earliest youth will forever keep me from appreciating emotion without having to pass it through the good old left brain. I am cursed to emotion.

ThatKidInTheCorner
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Apr 2012, 12:09 pm

Damn. I hate emotions. They're so volatile and confusing. I can never predict or identify them. One moment I'll be calm, and next I'm hysterical for some reason.

I can feel some complex emotions, but they're limited. One of the big ones I have problems with is remorse, and that gets me in trouble sometimes. Another is empathy, but I think that is just an ASD thing.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2013, 10:09 am

My emotions are vague. I have to sit down and think about it before I can figure out how I feel. There are some feelings I have never experienced, like being very happy, very angry, living vicariously through others, envy..etc. I feel frustrated easily, though. Mostly my vague emotions tend to build up and turn into stress. It's very hard for me to relax so sometimes I'm stressed for days with no particular cause.

One of my sons is just like me. The other one is very emotional and has mood swings all the time.

apequake
Raven
Raven

27 Jun 2013, 10:19 am

I can feel:
happiness
anxiety
anger (much less so now, as I have been able to remove myself from situations that make me angry)
frustration
self-pity
disappointment (in others and in me when I do not meet a personal goal)

I rarely get bored or depressed. I am always occupied. I do not allow myself to get bored I guess.

The rest of my emotions are rather dull including sadness.

I've never had a legitimate suicidal thought.

I guess it's kind of a wash.

Triple__B
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jun 2013, 10:47 am

I rarely express any emotion visually. My wife often thinks I am cold and emotionless. I do internally feel the 6 basic emotions however, it's just that I don't see the point of outwardly expressing them most times though. All of my partners have always tried picking fights with me to try to get a rise, which I don't understand. Why would you want to argue? I just usually ignore it or react in a calm way.

I also almost never cry. I cried once or twice when my dad just died, but before that it had been years.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 29 of 200
Nothing is permanent in this wicked world. Not even our troubles. ~ Charles Chaplin

apequake
Raven
Raven

27 Jun 2013, 11:05 am

Triple__B wrote:
I rarely express any emotion visually. My wife often thinks I am cold and emotionless.

I get, "he's so even-keeled" about me a lot because I am very similar. I dread the phone, but sometimes at work I am on the phone. If someone yells at me, I just get silent until they stop. Usually that works. I used to be angry when that happens because I could not let go on the caller. I think people may see me as some sort of robot. If only I could compute like one - ha.

l0st0ne
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jun 2013, 11:07 am

most emotions just i don't understand why people get passionate about things either like passionately speaking about a film, music or someone i'm like ok and then they think im being unenthusiastic.

Cilantro
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Jun 2013, 11:59 am

I experience a variety of emotions, though there are some things that don't resonate with me and some which should be distinctly different but aren't. The first thing that comes to mind is that love (familial and romantic) and strong respect or admiration feel pretty much the same with the only difference being context and whether or not there's a sexual aspect.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2013, 12:19 pm

I feel all emotions. And not all NTs are the same with emotions. Like men feel and express some emotions differently to women, and can vary with age too.

But in general, I feel most emotions a little too much. Also they overlap each other. Like sometimes I find it hard to feel happy for someone else because jealousy takes over (depending on what it is), although there is still a little voice in my head saying that it's something I should feel happy for them about. But in some people jealousy can get the better of them, depending on past experiences.

But I can feel emotions very intensely. Like when I went to my grandfather's funeral, it was so hard for me not to cry. I felt my hands trembling as I was trying to hold my tears back a little. Then I couldn't stop sobbing, especially when I looked at everyone else looking sad, it just made me feel worse, and I felt as if I was the one who cried the most.
Also when my grandfather first died, his death was so sudden that I said to my nT family, ''I don't really know how to feel, because I can't believe that he's actually dead'', and they all said that that is normal, and that most, if not, all of them felt the same.

So I'm not too different from the general norm with emotions. Except when I get screamingly mad over something others don't.

And there's not a precise ''blanket'' way to feel when babies cry either. I was in a shop the other day with my (NT) dad and a baby started crying near him, and he yelled at me to hurry up because the baby was getting on his nerves.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2013, 3:29 pm

I definitely have the full range of emotions. It often seems like I react more to fantasy or get triggered by music more than anything positive I feel in real life though. It's kind of sad to think about.

Schizpergers
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Jun 2013, 11:51 pm

I do not understand emotions well. When I'm neutral I can feel happy/laughing (good) or angry/sad (bad) I also often feel other states of mind such as dissociation or apathy but I do not know if these are actual emotions. After that it gets confusing.