Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2017, 3:01 pm

So the possibility came up a bit more than two months ago, at age 36, that I might have Aspergers. Initially, it was quite a shocker and worried me a fair bit, but after a while I came to see that it wasn't anything to worry about, that it wouldn't change anything about me, and that it potentially explained a lot of things about my life.

Between then and now though, although I'd stopped really worrying about it, I did read up on it and found that, while some aspects of it apply to me (eg. difficulty in social situations, difficulty with eye contact, probably some repetitive behaviour in how much I'm touching my face and rubbing my eyebrows), it's very hard for me to see how other aspects of Aspergers apply to me (eg. I don't think I have very much need to stick to a routine).

I got my assessment results a week ago at age 36 confirming that I do, in fact, have Aspergers, and I'd thought that once it was confirmed, I'd stop wondering about it and move on. But yet, even though, as I said above, I'm not worried at all about the consequences of the diagnosis, I'm still finding myself wondering whether the assessment was correct and comparing myself to various Aspergers descriptions to try to decide whether I have it.

I'm guessing it's probably hard to accept (even though I don't have a problem with it) because I lived 36 years not knowing about it, and don't feel any different having received the assessment results.

How about other people who were diagnosed as adults? Did you find yourself questioning the results even after they were confirmed?

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2017, 5:41 pm

SplendidSnail wrote:
I'm still finding myself wondering whether the assessment was correct and comparing myself to various Aspergers descriptions to try to decide whether I have it.

Aspergers is on a spectrum so comparing yourself to other Aspies is not a very accurate diagnostic tool , you've only got to read the variety of answers on posts here asking if you do a certain thing to see that everyone is different, although they do share the important traits listed in the DSM etc.
Having said that , I am currently awaiting an assessment and use this forum to try and figure out if I have it , comparison is the only diagnostic tool I have :roll:

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2017, 7:13 pm

Questioning one's own diagnosis seems quite common. I would speak to the clinician who diagnosed you about your doubts.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman