Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2017, 2:59 am

I know I shouldn't be but it's like a reoccurring itch that needs to be scratched. Throw into the mix insecurity and low self esteem. The whole "Am I really stupid?" thing.

The stupid thing is I am not even sure how well an IQ test (online or professionally administered) can predict the overall intelligence of someone with a 'spiky' profile.
What I do know from online testing is that my nonverbal/spatial ability is markedly inferior to my verbal ability .

I guess I should hold onto the fact I am as I am. Intelligence, or lack of it, neither makes me a bad or a good person.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2017, 5:32 am

I'm not even remotely interested in what my IQ is as I don't think it's relevant to anything in my life as I've never questioned mine or anyone else's IQ. Personally I think I am of average intelligence but my GF ( who just told me had an IQ of 132 aged 11 ) always says that she believes that my IQ far exceeds hers ?

I just told her what I was about to post and she said the reason I don't question it is because I've never felt stupid and I suppose she is right in a way as I have never had a self esteem issue about my IQ but since joining this forum it's been a steep learning curve of self discovery , my lack of self awareness has been a real eye opener to me - and that makes me feel stupid.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2017, 5:34 am

Firemonkey, just read your posts your not stupid, no matter which way you put it. Your posts and your life is your own validation.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2017, 5:36 am

IQ really could be a poor predictor and/or assessment of an autistic person's intelligence.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2017, 5:39 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
IQ really could be a poor predictor and/or assessment of an autistic person's intelligence.

I agree , there is also another factor - you could just be poor at taking tests in general due to anxiety etc

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2017, 6:06 am

SaveFerris wrote:

I agree , there is also another factor - you could just be poor at taking tests in general due to anxiety etc

I know with exams it very much depended on how I felt on the day. One thing I struggle with is the timed aspect of tests. Balancing looking at a question with sufficient depth vs answering all the questions in the time allotted.
I tend to overcompensate due to the fear of running out of time which results in my sometimes taking a guess rather than thinking much about the question.
I guess my time management skills aren't very good.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2017, 6:09 am

You can be an absolute genius and have slow processing.

Slow processing speeds result in lower scores on IQ tests.

I bet Einstein fit that profile; hence, he sucked in school, but did great in quantum physics once he was given the time to promulgate his theories.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 08 Jul 2017, 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2017, 6:11 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
You can be an absolute genius and have slow processing.

Slow processing speeds result in lower scores on IQ tests.

I bet Einstein fit that profile; hence, he sucked in school, but did great in quantum physics once he was given to time to promulgate his theories.

What is slow processing like. I got my processing in the bottom 0.1%. Does that effect your ability to think on your feet?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2017, 6:13 am

Sometimes it does.

I don't "think on my feet" too well.

Yet.....once you get the answer, your answer might be better than the one arrived at by somebody with faster processing speeds.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2017, 6:15 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Sometimes it does.

I don't "think on my feet" too well.

Yet.....once you get the answer, your answer might be better than the one arrived at by somebody with faster processing speeds.

How can you do things e.g. debate, converse and discuss, well if you think so damn slow.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2017, 6:19 am

How does one get to Carnegie Hall? Practice, practice, practice.

Depth of knowledge is more important than mere quantity of knowledge.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2017, 6:21 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
How does one get to Carnegie Hall? Practice, practice, practice.

Depth of knowledge is more important than mere quantity of knowledge.

Apart from that. Say you are confronted with a question on the spot. Will it take much longer for you?

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2017, 6:22 am

Shahunshah wrote:
How can you do things e.g. debate, converse and discuss, well if you think so damn slow.

Like everything in life , if you have a deficiency you usually do things to compensate it in some way if it's a problem for you , I use stalling & distraction tactics i.e talk a little slower , drop something , cough

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2017, 6:22 am

I think you're pretty good at expressing yourself, Firemonkey.

And you do that nice autistic trick where you keep digging through a problem from various angles. You'll get there through sheer persistence.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2017, 6:24 am

SaveFerris wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:

Like everything in life , if you have a deficiency you usually do things to compensate it in some way if it's a problem for you , I use stalling & distraction tactics i.e talk a little slower , drop something , cough

Bottom 0.1% though.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2017, 6:27 am

If I'm in the mood, my processing time can be quite fast.

If I feel strongly about something, the words come flowing out of me. My answers could be pretty good at those times.

You feel strongly about fairness. Your passion shows. Your on-the-spot answers could be good. Life experience makes your answers better. Plus a sense of ethics and morality.