Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

RazorEddie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2012, 8:52 am

I haven't had a TV for the last 12 years as there is so little on that I consider worth watching. I do watch a few documentaries on-line and occasionally watch a DVD but that's about it.

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2012, 10:21 am

As time goes on I have less and less interest in TV and Movies. It's all so fake and predictable.
I have stopped watching "regular" commercial TV completely (broadcast, cable, satellite). I can't stand commercials. Not one bit.
And with cable and satellite, why would someone pay all that money per month to spend 1/3rd of their time watching commercials?
The only "TV" I watch is on netflix, but that's just because I'm bored and I want to kill time.

Diagnosed in 2005

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2012, 12:30 pm

Cogs wrote:
Callista wrote:
It's boring. I don't have a TV and don't want one. It's too slow, and not complex enough to be interesting, and I lose track of all the faces anyway. All of those pretty actors look the same to me. Nothing against pretty actors; I'm just face-blind and can't tell them apart half the time.

Same for me except my family owns a TV, they complain that I never watch TV with them. I'm also not interested in the social dramas, dating dramas etc. that seem to dominate many TV programs, I dont mind a fast paced sci-fi thriller though, but have a hard time watching it all in one go. The inability to notice emotions, non-verbal communication etc. I think also causes me problems.
Have you considered bringing your book or whatever and sitting with them, ignoring the TV? If they ask you why, you can just say, "I don't like TV but I wanted to hang out with you"--which should communicate decently that you are avoiding TV not because you're avoiding your family but because you just don't find it entertaining.

Headphones are probably required to block out the tv sound... that may not be as "social" a gesture... but I guess sometimes you have to compromise to make sure the NTs around you know that you still like them. In their world, you have to tell somebody repeatedly that you like them, instead of telling them only once and then notifying them if it changes. So to speak their language sometimes you have to be pretty redundant. Ah, well, they're people too and you can't really fault them for being different.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2012, 12:45 pm

I seem to have viewed a couple of sci-fi films and series that came out this year and last year and there's also a reality TV program on our local television that I sometimes watch but other than that I don't really like TV or movies at all.

I used to, but I gave up with it a few years ago, it just doesn't excite me anymore at all. I'm having the same stuff with videogaming, it all seems like a waste of time for me now. I can't properly enjoy it anymore, it feels boring and it kills precious time.

I don't know why this is.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2012, 1:19 pm

I don't even know how to use the TV in my place because I never watch it (I live in supported housing so the TV isn't mine).

I will watch the occasional documentary online on BBC iPlayer. DVDs are very occasional.

I spend my free time either reading textbooks or researching things online.

I strongly dislike fiction and haven't voluntarily read it (as in I was forced to do English Literature GCSE) since I was 14.

When I move out of here I will not have a TV where I live. I will have a fast internet connection, a good computer and my textbooks (so far I have 115 in my bedroom).

TechnoDog
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2012, 2:15 pm

Sounds more like you people are trying to watch things you don't like. Hate commercials. & don't know what a Smart TV is or a recording box. IE the new version of a tape recorder. I am sure maybe if I look you could probably find a firmware or a box that filters out commercials.

I don't read fiction books, I hate music that gets copied too many times & have little change. I hate games that are repeating or less improved from the last one. I don't like football & I don't like reality shows.

If they is not already one on the market.

All just sounds like your trying to watch something you did not like in the first place.

?When you make a mistake, don't look back at it long. Take the reason of the thing into your mind and then look forward. Mistakes are lessons of wisdom. The past cannot be changed. The future is yet in your power.?

ooo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Apr 2012, 12:25 am

I like TV... if I'm the one watching it.

I prefer older comedies -- Dick Van Dyke Show, etc. I like some newer shows, like Jon Stewart. I can occasional stomach the Kardashians.

I hate shows where it's just f**k this, f*** that,... let's make out and have sex. What on earth would I want to see that on a sitcom? Gross.

I HATE news and talk radio. It's funny, because as a young teen, I would seriously sit there and want to watch CNN Headline News. I really enjoyed it. Now, it irritates me. I can't sit there and watch shows like Nancy Grace where they go on and on for half an hour about the same story. AHHH.

I disdain fiction and sci-fi. Some of them are well-made, creative, etc... but I just don't care for it.

I disdain a lot of newer reality shows, especially the "let's get drunk and have sex" shows. I disdain trashy shows like Jerry Springer, or gross shows like "16 and Pregnant" or whatever it's called. Or, most of the other shows where it's "let's curse, drink, and make out." I don't need to see that...

I can't deal with noisy TVs.

I can barely deal with visiting my parents. My dad turns the TV on loud, leaving Fox News on all day for hours and hours, whether we're home or not. I can't take the excess noise or the news channel or the duration.

With roommates, I made a "TV goes in bedrooms or the spare room -- no TV in the living room" rule. Curiously, most of the roommates I had there agreed. No one likes noise that isn't theirs.

1ofMany
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Apr 2012, 6:55 am

I could easily live without TV. Internet and PC and games are my time spenders tho.

Haven't watched the news in ages. When they invent positive news, i might watch it.

Can't stand brainwash commercials.

YellowBanana
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2012, 7:02 am

I like TV. I love moving pictures, and I love the cinema too.
On TV I mostly choose watch documentaries, but do watch some dramas with my husband.
I don't really like comedy.
At the cinema I'll go see any old cr*p. I just love the moving pictures - and I often don't really remember anything about the film afterwards.
I've always been like this. When I was a child we had an old black & white TV and the vertical hold was broken. I would sit in front of that for hours. My parents didn't get it.
When I watch TV I hate it if the lighting in the room is wrong so I'm constantly adjusting that, and I hate it if the sound volume is not right so I'm constantly adjusting that too. It drives my husband mad!

nikki15
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Apr 2012, 7:33 am

I rarely watch TV these days. I like a few TV shows because I watch them online, rent the DVDs from Netflix or simply buy them. TV shows are much easier to follow than movies are. I like movies that don't resemble real life too much. Because reality is often boring or depressing and I need the distraction. I like to escape and explore another world when watching movies and realistic ones don't do much for me. I hate the news because it makes me feel very sad.

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2012, 9:51 am

I don't watch TV too often. It just feels like a waste of time to me. Its primary use for me is to create background noise if it is desired.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Apr 2012, 10:45 am

Dislike watching TV for most purposes... I do watch the morning news in the background while I'm doing other things, but I have no interest in watching TV for entertainment.

Charles

b9
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2012, 10:54 am

i watch tv only when i am in bed. when i am up, i have more interesting things to do.

i always prerecord what i am going to watch because if i see something that fascinates me, or something i did not hear properly, i can rewind it and watch it again, and i can also fast forward through the ads.

i only watch documentaries and the news. i prerecord the news as well and watch it later, because i can fast forward through stories that do not interest me (like sport and fashion etc).

some fiction shows are worth watching like columbo and sherlock holmes (the 1984 series) etc, but i am not interested in modern shows like csi or ncis because they emphasize the sexuality of the actors and everyone seems glamorous in their own way.

Jtuk
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2012, 12:39 pm

I very rarely watch TV any more, it's mostly movies on the computer. I watch the odd series with the wife, mad men / desperate housewives etc. That's about once a week.

Jason

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2012, 12:52 pm

I used to be a television junkie; watched it for several hours almost every day until I turned 18. Now, I barely ever watch TV.

The reason I stopped watching is not so much that I dislike the programming, but rather that I dislike the notion of watching a certain show on a set time every week. It feels like an obligation and a leash. I went through a period a couple years ago where I'd randomly turn on the TV for an hour, on a random channel, watching a random show. I quite liked that, but I've since stopped doing that too.

In general, I think that television shows can't tell me much that I can't also get out of a book.

WerewolfPoet
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2012, 1:23 pm

I dislike television, but I am able to tolerate it. As my parents are addicted to that shiny box of colors, and since I am forced to socialize with them on some basis to spare them agony, I do watch a few television shows with them, at least for a few episodes--just long enough to abate their desire to interact with me.
As for movies; I am reluctant to watch them, but I am able to "get into" a movie, if need be.