Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Chief__
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Apr 2009, 5:33 pm

I failed an IQ Test in army because of sleep deprivation(i am now being considered borderline retarted).My sergeant told me a day before i took the IQ test to sleep well but how could i know that i was going to take an IQ Test the day after???I am not a magician(i only slept 4 hours and you can count and some other hours that i owed to myself).Everybody used to treat me like s**t back in the days,like a proper human,now everybody treat me as if am a ret*d,what can i do to change my status???How can i recapture my lost glory???I mean i understand everything yet,i now i am smart and yet everybody thinks i am stupid,i literally live in hell...

P.S.Nobody knows that i know that i have autism.....

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2009, 5:40 pm

Autism or not, it is a KNOWN FACT that a lack of sleep could knock even 100 points off your IQ(you could fall asleep before even writing your name!)! I believe one of the places to study this WAS the US ARMY! Just explain THAT to them, and ask to retake it when you are rested. They SHOULD be willing to do it. If they do, and you score over 100 and HOPEFULLY, say 40+ points higher than you did, that should convince them that you AREN'T ret*d. Again, the lack of sleep affects EVERYONE! If you were sick, you can ALSO add THAT to your explanation. Some illnesses DO affect the mind enough to affect the IQ, ESPECIALLY if you are already tired.

Chief__
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Apr 2009, 5:47 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:
Autism or not, it is a KNOWN FACT that a lack of sleep could knock even 100 points off your IQ(you could fall asleep before even writing your name!)! I believe one of the places to study this WAS the US ARMY! Just explain THAT to them, and ask to retake it when you are rested. They SHOULD be willing to do it. If they do, and you score over 100 and HOPEFULLY, say 40+ points higher than you did, that should convince them that you AREN'T ret*d. Again, the lack of sleep affects EVERYONE! If you were sick, you can ALSO add THAT to your explanation. Some illnesses DO affect the mind enough to affect the IQ, ESPECIALLY if you are already tired.

i took the same iq tests in the internet(raven progressive matrices) and i always scored between 100-125.I am in depression,i stopped going to college and i even stopped studying IN PURPOSE(i did an experiment to see if the grant me any extra points and IT WORKED).

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2009, 6:15 pm

2ukenkerl those are all very good and sensible suggestions. Unfortunately the Army is not in a business of making sense.

Chief are you in basic right now? How did your IQ test results get leaked out? Are you sure that's why they treat you badly? An AS person practically has a giant bullseye on their back in a military setting... They sense you are different. And different is always made fun of by the hoo-aah types.

Why did you enlist? (Serious question.) College money? Or did you do it to get away from home?

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2009, 6:30 pm

Chief__ wrote:
I failed an IQ Test in army because of sleep deprivation(i am now being considered borderline retarted).My sergeant told me a day before i took the IQ test to sleep well but how could i know that i was going to take an IQ Test the day after???

Same thing happened to me during draft testing (we still have that over here) but i got an oppertunity later on in life to do a similar test at a non-military place, and that one went much better and i felt much better now knowing that others know i am not a ret*d :)

Q: Why dont you ask your sergeant if you can retake the test and state why you want to? If you are going to be judged careerwise (?) why not ask to be given a second chance?

Chief__
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Apr 2009, 6:33 pm

Dilbert wrote:
2ukenkerl those are all very good and sensible suggestions. Unfortunately the Army is not in a business of making sense.

Chief are you in basic right now? How did your IQ test results get leaked out? Are you sure that's why they treat you badly? An AS person practically has a giant bullseye on their back in a military setting... They sense you are different. And different is always made fun of by the hoo-aah types.

Why did you enlist? (Serious question.) College money? Or did you do it to get away from home?

Its a fact that people used to treat me way differently before the IQ Test i took in army(they wanted me to take me to see if i can use a tank)...The thing is this IQ test is in my status now because the pedriatrician of mine knows about it and they operated with the psychologists in the army...In the school everybody used to treat me like s**t,like a proper human..They used to suspend me,they used to take me out of the class,they used to give me absences...The thing is i used to think for 2 years,before i discovered that in reality i am autistic,that i am retarted and i was always thinking are retarted people that stupid????Because i don't feel stupid at all....

Well even in army many people used to take fun of me(he must really have a high IQ,...it took you time to think that?....,wow your iq must be really high...can he really read with this iq????....tie his shoelaces)....

now in college they grant me extra points,they say to me well done(i am supposed to get happy with that,yeah really happy),one teacher told me "its the third column"(i was supposed to confuse the second with the third),teachers now always ask me ""It's all ok until now??? You haven't managed this exercise???"...I know my self well and i am not that stupid i literally live in hell...they don't even get me absences now...i miss my old life when everyone used to treat me like a human...

ps...the thing is that i am autistic and i find it hard to itneract with other people

Dee_
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Apr 2009, 8:19 pm

I took an ACT test, after working 16 hours the night before and sleeping for 4 hours... and no studying... still scored a 27 although I was groggy through the whole test... If anything, I was too groggy to be stressed out being in a room with a bunch of people.

If I was in tip top form, probally would of been in the mid 30's.

Jamin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Apr 2009, 10:45 pm

Hombre, you must be quite young yet, which has benefits - but field of view is not one of those benefits. I was young once.

From altitude 53,000 feet:

If I wish to change the opinion of another towards me, I am doomed to frustration and disappointment. I have no power over what another person is responsible for. Nor do I wish to.

I cannot actually control the environment or others. I can control - and am responsible for - how I choose to respond.

This is the only actual control I have. This is the only control for which I wish. All else is illusion.

Would I sleep well - knowing I had a test the next day? No. Not me.

Would the Sergeant be under any obligation to give me a hint? No.

So, perhaps the Sergeant was trying to provide a benign favor.

If I choose to then ignore the Sergeant, that is O.K. It is a decision I made.

But the responsibility for that decision - and the consequences - are mine and mine alone.

My recommendation is to first take responsibility. It is the only position of strength. Then to do some soulsearching to discern why it is I chose as I did.

"First Know Thyself" - Socrates.

Only by first taking responsibility can I choose the course of my life.

I would not have seen all this when I was young; knowing this can be a relief and can be life-changing. It is why I write thusly.

Best of Luck. This is all I shall write on the matter.

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2009, 11:40 pm

Have you clearly ASKED to retake the test?
Sometimes people don't listen very well.
And sometimes they don't like to admit that they don't know what they're doing.
Find out what the procedure is to request a re-test.
Who do you need to write to or call or visit?
If the first person says it's impossible, ask someone else.
Sometimes, when you ask 20 people, you get 20 different answers.
Keep asking until you get the right answer.

Chief__
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Apr 2009, 11:50 pm

the thing is i haven't managed to finish two questions.i spent too much time on the average difficulty questions because of lack of sleep.lets say if i wasn't sleep deprived i would spend just 40 seconds sleep deprivation made me spent 2 whole minutes.By taking that into account 2min - 40 seconds =1.2min * 10 average difficulty questions=12 whole minutes=many points lost
also 2 minutes lost on easy questions=another 2-3 points lost
i wouldn't even have to answer the difficult questions,i would just guess and everything would be ok...
but now i am completely f*****.
i am not stephen hawkings but i am not learning disabled either....i just have an average iq...

also lets take in account that human needs to sleep for 8 hours.
in army you sleep 5 hours and 30 minutes so its 2 hours and 30 minutes lost *20 lets say days =40 hours of sleep deprivation

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2009, 12:25 am

Have you asked to retake the test?

Chief__
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Apr 2009, 2:05 am

Tahitiii wrote:
Have you asked to retake the test?

i am too shy to ask

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2009, 9:52 am

Ok, so the solution is that we need to help you compose a letter. I don't pretend to be an expert, so we need to look around WP for some military people who know how things work. Send out an APB. 2ukenkerl, Dilbert, Ichinin, Dee_, Jamin and anyone else watching this thread, would you help me look around and send a PM to anyone with military background?

Chief, what do you know so far about the procedure and who do you think is the correct person to receive such a letter?

"Shy" is not very specific. I can think of lots of things that would hold you back and cut down on self-confidence. Not being sure of the rules. Fearing the consequences. Executive function limitations. Semantic-Pragmatic issues (people don't understand or can't hear me). Lack of follow-through (stick-to-it-iveness)...

Chief__
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Apr 2009, 12:51 am

before i discovered that in reality i am autistic i thought for two years that i am retarted and i was thinking are retarted people that stupid?...because i don't feel stupid at all

Dee_
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Apr 2009, 5:30 am

What branch of the military?

Are you full or reserve/guards?
Also, you in AIT or Boot camp?

Is this(Test) for a MOS placement or for a security clearance?

Also, how did you do on your ASVAB test right before you enlisted/commissioned?

If your ASVAB scores were average to high, yo ucan say you had difficulties concentrating because of personal issues (lack of sleep, sick, migraines, etc...)... looking at a previous test result and if you did do decent, odds are your platoon sergant or company commander could help you out a bit.

I was in the Army ~ 18 years ago. Some things changed since then but other things have not. Currently have a brother and two nephews in the army (one in the guards), all three are NT's.

Dee_
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Apr 2009, 5:37 am

If AIT, talking to the platoon NCO or past AIT, talking to the company nco/co, they would more than likely work something out, because of he looks good, they look good also... It is also in their best interest (company commander) that their soldiers look good.... even if it is getting a good result on a test.....

You have a score in your records on the line, somoene above you has an ego tht can be bruised...

Odds are, go talk to your nco/co about retaking the test.... more likely will be able to reschedule it and take it again...