What do you about this new "Aspergers is fake" arg

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

HellRazzer7878
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Feb 2012, 7:43 pm

""Because aspergers isn't even a disease. Its more of a highly developed case of misanthropy or cynicism. If aspergers is a mental illness then gayism ought to be as well.""

I found this on another site through a google search. What is the cause of so much hatred towards us with AS? What do we really do to anybody? Most of us are just chill and don't care who's what or what they look like.

Alexender
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2012, 7:45 pm

I would only worry about it if it was something that happened in real life, 90% of the internet is crap. You could find a site that said WWII didn't happen

Princess78
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: Massachusetts, or in a cottage with seven little men

15 Feb 2012, 7:59 pm

What site did you find that on? It sounds like whoever wrote the article is the real cynic.

MusicIsLife2Me
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Feb 2012, 8:03 pm

Yes I'm interested to see it as well.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2012, 8:04 pm

People can be jack asses sometimes.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2012, 8:05 pm

Obviously the person who wrote this has no idea what AS even is. Aspies aren't necessarily cynics; in fact, we can be naive optimists. And misanthropy? Please. I've met Aspies so scared of hurting someone inadvertently that they literally worried themselves sick over it. Somebody who cares that much about not hurting other people is not a misanthrope. (But please, if your health suffers due to anxiety, get yourself to a doctor; you shouldn't be dealing with that alone.)

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

layla87
Toucan
Toucan

15 Feb 2012, 8:08 pm

Honey, we live in a judgemental world, where everthing is based upon convenience and minimal effort.
It is much easier for someone to pretend a person does not exist, then to invest the time and energy into trying to understand their perspective.
What pisses me off is people who don't even know what AS really is, so easily will say "AS is a fake disease."

Honestly, some NT people are the reason the world is going to sh*t

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2012, 8:11 pm

Alexender wrote:
I would only worry about it if it was something that happened in real life, 90% of the internet is crap. You could find a site that said WWII didn't happen

^^ This.

"Opinions are like as*holes. Everyone has one."

I'd be worried if something like that appeared in mainstream media, or if it were an opinion from someone working in healthcare.

A random person on the Internet? Ya know there are plenty of folks who deny the holocaust, or deny climate change, or believe UFO abductions, or think the ghost hunters are real, etc... etc....

Next time you are bothered by this, remember:

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2012, 8:13 pm

The concept of a "fake disease" is a concept promoted by people who have not thought carefully about the issue.

If you think about it, there is no sensible criterion that will make influenza a "real disease" and Asperger's a "fake disease". The only candidate is to say that any disease involving the brain is a "fake disease". But nobody believes that when it comes to epilepsy!

artrat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2012, 8:14 pm

It's just ignorance so don't let it bother you.

"I belive in God, only I spell it Nature."
~ Frank Llyod Wright

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2012, 8:27 pm

Declension wrote:
The concept of a "fake disease" is a concept promoted by people who have not thought carefully about the issue.

If you think about it, there is no sensible criterion that will make influenza a "real disease" and Asperger's a "fake disease". The only candidate is to say that any disease involving the brain is a "fake disease". But nobody believes that when it comes to epilepsy!
They used to, weirdly enough. Did you know that people with epilepsy used to be put in "insane asylums" or homes for the mentally handicapped? I guess that was before epilepsy medication, and you have to admit a grand mal seizure does look pretty scary, but you'd think they could have figured out that people who had seizures weren't having any problems thinking in between them, and didn't need anything but somebody to make sure they didn't slam themselves against something pointy when they had a seizure. Maybe they made that mistake because lots of people who have some kind of brain problem also have epilepsy, and they mixed them up?

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

aspie48
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2012, 9:16 pm

its because of the articles the NY times ran.

Nim
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2012, 9:35 pm

There was a youtube vid I saw of a autistic kid being banned as a cheater via xbox360. They put it on the news.

In the comments it they had everything from, he's autistic, how could he cheat? (aka dumb) To people scolding the mother for not throwing him into social situations/sheltering him.

The answer is ignorance. If you don't understand something then you are afraid.

aspie48
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2012, 9:39 pm

Nim wrote:
There was a youtube vid I saw of a autistic kid being banned as a cheater via xbox360. They put it on the news.

In the comments it they had everything from, he's autistic, how could he cheat? (aka dumb) To people scolding the mother for not throwing him into social situations/sheltering him.

the real qeustion is why is that news. millions of people cheat on Xbox

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2012, 1:11 am

Nim wrote:

"he's autistic, how could he cheat?" I would have interpreted that as "autistic people don't lie, they are loyal and so honest, no way he could cheat. They are just falsely accusing him."

Nim
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2012, 1:22 am

Actually the next comment was something along the lines of "are you kidding me, autistics have unnatural talent"...

So someone was sticking up for them. :wink: