Page 2 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 4:58 pm

I was out with my parents and sister for dinner. The subject of Autism came up a few times during that. Mum said that when she used to take my brother to the GP, they would just claim it's bad parenting. Ignoring my sensory problems, I turned out pretty normal; as did my sister. We were never treated any differently.

They said this for years. Apparently, my brother would do things and would claim that the voices in his head (not his words) would make him do it.

It took many years for anyone to actually take her seriously.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 5:13 pm

Have yet to be accused of faking it I have been called a freak though. :lol:

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Emz11
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Jun 2012, 4:56 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I have only gotten the accusation online. Real life I am not so sure. No one has ever told me to my face I was faking it or even implied it. I am sure they thought it so that would explain the ignorance I got in school. But people think in black and white when it comes to conditions, they think if you can do it, you can do it every time and it can't and go or else they think you are being lazy or making excuses or using it as an excuse. I don't know if that would count as me being accused of faking it.

In real life, no-one apart from my sister has said I fake it. Like the writer above, I used to inhibit things like my rocking and my random sounds. Now I know what they are I let them out, so my sister thinks I'm copying my brother (He has ASD too, though he not an Aspie). On the internet, whenever I post about my AS, I get told that my symptoms are not real, and I'm exaggerating, lying or trying to get attention. People on the internet can hide behind there mask. I know what I am, I do not need anyone else to know, I would just like it.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 5:02 pm

I've also been acused two times of faking it, but that's allready a while ago.
I was also VERY upset!

I don't know why people think that, that it's "cool" to be disabled, I just don't get it. 8O

I try so hard to be normal. :cry:

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 6:18 pm

JanuaryMan wrote:
I have had it from another aspie simply for not being as impaired by my AS as they are, and they accused me of being some deceptive NT looking to take advantage of AS people. Frankly, insulting is an understatement.

The thing is to remember you have it, know you have it, find ways to overcome parts of it, and ignore what anyone else "thinks" about your supposed lack of it. What NT's (and surprisingly some AS's have to be schooled on this one, too) have to remember is the Autism spectrum is very broad, you will have very high functioning and low functioning AS people. Some will also be very good at hiding it, while others won't be. There isn't just "one way" of being AS. It's not like a physical condition which can be assessed as easily e.g. whether your arms / legs work / don't work, it's a lot more complicated than that.

I've been accused of "faking it" by other people with AS - on this very website, no less. It only happens when I say something that goes against what another person thinks a person with AS would say, and on one occasion the accusation came from someone who was a lot lower-functioning than I am.

So it all comes back down to the fact that people forget that autism is a spectrum and it's not a special club that only the elite can be part of. There is no "autistic way" of doing, thinking or saying something - every autistic person has their own thoughts, opinions and way of living in the world, and no one else has the right to pass judgment on whether or not someone is "autistic enough".

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 6:36 pm

I haven't been accused of faking. I have told a few people that I suspect I have AS and a couple of them flat out refuse to believe me. They are of the opinion that AS is just a fad disorder and that they're diagnosing everyone who is a little different with it.

I told my mom, and she agrees that I have many of the symptoms and that the only way I'll know for sure is to see someone about it.
I'm not diagnosed yet.

Oddly enough, (sarcasm) the two people that agree that I have AS have professional backgrounds working with people with ASD.

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

unduki
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 6:38 pm

People are so ignorant. It's ironic that faking it is acceptable and being your true self is offensive.

Jupiter1234
Raven
Raven

14 Jun 2012, 9:44 pm

My mother thinks I'm faking it.......she refuses to take me to get a diagnosis even after a teacher suggested it

Shebakoby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 10:48 pm

there's an issue where some people, be they in real life or on the internet, INSIST that some people (usually the ones that call themselves self-diagnosed) are faking having aspergers because that absolves them from all responsibility for their behavior.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 11:52 pm

Shebakoby wrote:
there's an issue where some people, be they in real life or on the internet, INSIST that some people (usually the ones that call themselves self-diagnosed) are faking having aspergers because that absolves them from all responsibility for their behavior.

Really? I'm self diagnosed and had it confirmed by a therapist but still not official. I have limited options since I cannot afford to pay to see a psychiatrist or anyone who can give an official diagnoses....and honestly I don't see what is so terrible about my behavior I was usually on the receiving of terrible 'behavior' from the normal kids. Sure I had sensory issues and communication related issues but I don't feel it was any reason for that...anyways I wasn't looking for something to absolve me of any bad behavior I've ever been guilty of I was looking for an explanation as to what was so freaking different, weird, off, freakish, ect(all things thrown at me), about me

abc123
Toucan
Toucan

15 Jun 2012, 3:27 am

jetbuilder wrote:
I haven't been accused of faking. I have told a few people that I suspect I have AS and a couple of them flat out refuse to believe me.

Yes I told an ex work colleague who is a nurse and 2 therapists and they didn't believe it. I have since been diagnosed. I'm on the high functioning end and people who have worked with say kids that are more obviously affected don't tend to believe me. I'm very quiet and polite and watch everything I say.

vanhalenkurtz
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 3:43 am

Ultimately, if people are impatient with you, they are impatient. Saying "here's a reason for your impatience" with any implication they should be more patient will simply vex them even more.

EQ: 6.

Jasmine90
Toucan
Toucan

15 Jun 2012, 3:46 am

Hardly anyone I know online knows of my AS since I don't really tell people just for the sake of it. If it comes up in a conversation, sure I'll tell them. More people know of my tourettes, since I have had to defend tourettes more often. People just seem to get a kick out of making fun of it I have noticed.

IRL, I don't have any friends, I keep to myself so have never been confronted by someone about it, except of course for tourettes, which is much more difficult to hide in public, since being around people is a big trigger.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 4:22 am

Just reply back to the NT that he/she is faking being NT see how that person replies back. :lol:

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

NeueZiel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 5:37 am

I don't really share my ASD with people, only my closest family knows and like...two other people. I always suspect that more online people would accuse me of faking since I sound more normal when I type stuff up. I imagine other aspies would call me a faker too.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

15 Jun 2012, 5:43 am

NeueZiel wrote:
I don't really share my ASD with people, only my closest family knows and like...two other people. I always suspect that more online people would accuse me of faking since I sound more normal when I type stuff up. I imagine other aspies would call me a faker too.

That happens to me a bit too frequently for my taste. My ability to communicate in writing is better than my ability to communicate verbally, but when people only see my writing, they seem to think it reflects how I speak and start making assumptions about how capable I am socially. I have also put a lot of effort into my written communication over the years so as to better come across in certain ways.

Meanwhile, in the offline world, someone asks me a yes/no question and I give them a 5-10 minute monologue that I think answers the question, and they think I'm evading the question. I know these are yes/no questions because they tell me after I've spent several minutes trying to establish a framework in which I can answer the question in the first place. Apparently, I have trouble being able to guess what people need to know, what they do not need to know, and what is actually relevant to the topic at hand.

In writing, I can see my words and am also able to review what I'm replying to. I will still often overexplain, but not as frequently.