do you suffer from non-situation based depression?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

do you suffer from a non situation based depression?
i suffer from depression often 62%  62%  [ 8 ]
i suffer from depression on occasion 38%  38%  [ 5 ]
i suffer from depression every once in a great while 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 13

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2012, 11:36 am

i want to know if it's normal for aspies, (or anyone with other forms of autism), to suffer from depression without knowing why.
i've suffered from mild depression starting age seven or five, i'm not sure. mostly when the sun was close to setting. it could've been situation based, because i never got along with my parents and they put me down a lot, plus i hated school and suffered from general anxiety.
age ten and a half, i was depressed for half a year, (worse than age seven), but i think that's because one of the feral kittens in the yard that i fed ran away, and it was my favorite kitten. nobody told me kittens always run away right before they reach sexual maturity so as to prevent incest. i had no idea if it was alive or dead. i functioned and wasnt suicidal or anything like that. at around age eleven, it went away and i was fine.
age sixteen, i got depressed worse, not suicidal, but i had difficulty concentrating, was irritable, tried losing weight by starvation like diets, failed, and tried again and again. i lost motivation and didnt care about anything, and at some point felt numb.
the feeling went on like that for about two or three years, and then got milder, but never really went away for several years. again, it could've been situation based because i was chubby as a teenager and wanted desperately to lose weight. it was a pretty intense feeling, though.
just wanted to know if it's normal for a person with asperger syndrome to feel depressed for no reason, because i never even once experienced a mania episode or anything even close to it. just wondered if i dont have something else on top of asperger, because they say bi polar disorder or unipolar disorder gets worse as one ages, and my mood got stabilized for the last fifteen or twenty years.
do you get depressed without a reason? are you depressed most of the time? when did you first start getting depressed? is it linked to asperger? do you get happy without a reason too?

lostmyself
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 May 2012, 11:53 am

lack of natural light depresses me a lot! The fact that there is no sun today is depressing me.

MeshugenahMama
Raven
Raven

01 May 2012, 1:05 pm

This is actually something that I have thought about quite a bit. When I was a teenager, I was diagnosed with depression and put on meds for it. The meds were short term, because they didn't really help. This was in the '80's, before autism was really on the map and being diagnosed. I have come to the conclusion that although depression is a constant battle for me-I do not suffer from depression-I suffer from being on the Spectrum-which causes great difficulties in my life that upset me and depress me-but I do not suffer from depression as a stand alone thing-it's only a side effect. I don't know if that makes any sense at all.

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2012, 1:11 pm

MeshugenahMama wrote:
This is actually something that I have thought about quite a bit. When I was a teenager, I was diagnosed with depression and put on meds for it. The meds were short term, because they didn't really help. This was in the '80's, before autism was really on the map and being diagnosed. I have come to the conclusion that although depression is a constant battle for me-I do not suffer from depression-I suffer from being on the Spectrum-which causes great difficulties in my life that upset me and depress me-but I do not suffer from depression as a stand alone thing-it's only a side effect. I don't know if that makes any sense at all.

it makes lots of sense. you dont suffer from depression because of your brain pattern, because you're prone to depression genetically, but because of the situation you're in - the situation the syndrome puts you in.
this kind of depression doesnt start inside your head, but outside. it's a reaction to a situation, perfectly normal, although i'm not a psychiatrist...

ghostar
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 May 2012, 2:52 pm

My first experience of being depressed is also my first memory. I don't think I have ever been in a genuinely happy place although i have gotten quite good at acting happy so that other people around me don't pay inordinate amounts of attention to my "attitude."

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2012, 2:56 pm

I think I have both, I don't know that I was born depressed.......but yeah it could have started situationally but now I am sure it's gone beyond that.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2012, 2:56 pm

I think I have both, I don't know that I was born depressed.......but yeah it could have started situationally but now I am sure it's gone beyond that.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2012, 3:15 pm

I have clinical depression and have for years. When I get depressed like that, only SSRI"s will help me. I've had it on and off since my early 20's but as I've gotten older it's gotten worse. Situations and stress will sometimes bring it on, or make it worse. I have it right now, but can't afford the medicine for it. I'm getting by as best I can.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

MeshugenahMama
Raven
Raven

01 May 2012, 3:20 pm

felinesaresuperior wrote:
MeshugenahMama wrote:

it makes lots of sense. you dont suffer from depression because of your brain pattern, because you're prone to depression genetically, but because of the situation you're in - the situation the syndrome puts you in.
this kind of depression doesnt start inside your head, but outside. it's a reaction to a situation, perfectly normal, although i'm not a psychiatrist...

Exactly............I like how you summed that all up.................It's nice to know that there is actually something perfectly normal about me-my depression-lol. Forgive my dry sense of humor-I really mean no harm. If I wasn't able to laugh at myself I might, well...........become depressed :wink:

All the best