Aspies are lacking in emotional attachment? A few thoughts.

Page 3 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

MiatheMutant
Raven
Raven

05 May 2012, 2:21 pm

nomadder wrote:
I have another question about attachment to fictional characters but not real people.

Do you think you can get more attached to the fictional character because of the format where you learn about them. A book presents a character in depth, dramatizes traits, etc – you have such a clear picture or feel for that fictional character without any of the inconsistencies and interactional issues of real people.

So does that clarity perhaps allow you to feel more attached? Because you 'know' the fictional character and can understand the character better than a real person?

I've always thought this was the main source of my irrational attachment. I can see inside of their heads and get a clear view of what they're thinking of, wishing for, waiting for, etc. I have issues figuring out others' motives/intentions and usually have to be bluntly told what someone else is thinking or planning because I can't "read between the lines". I don't have this problem much with fictional characters, and when I do, I won't be hurt as a direct result of my cluelessness.

Another part of it, I think, is that if I don't like the direction they're moving in the story and they've become one of my special interests, I can ignore the canon and transport them into an alternate version of their world in my mind. There, I can control them and keep them from offending me, boring me, whatever. Wow, that sounds really bad and manipulative. :lol:

Undiagnosed: marginal costs > marginal benefits

Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 May 2012, 3:44 pm

I'm emotionally attached to my mom, because she's my only real friend. I don't want to loose her. She also gives me advices how to cope with certain things.

That's it about people, I think.

CantExplain
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 May 2012, 3:47 pm

It takes time for me to attach, but when I do, I don't let go.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2012, 3:54 pm

I have always been strongly attached to people around me, mostly my family members, even though I had no idear what was going on inside their minds or that they had anything going on inside their minds or that I had anything going on inside my mind or that anyone had anything going on inside their minds. When I was a little kid who did not communicate with people, I still felt strongly attached to my parents and grandparents. For me, being around people attaches me to people, and I don't need to know what is going on inside their minds to feel strongly attached to them.

khaos
Toucan
Toucan

10 Aug 2012, 2:07 am

I've never cried "real" tears when anyone close to me died. I remember when I was little seeing everyone crying when my grandfather cried, and me mimicking their behavior because everyone else was crying.

When I was 15 my dad died. It only bothered me because my dad spoiled me, but I didn't cry. I was at school the next day. I remember everyone saying oh my god why are you here blah blah.

Now when I both read/watched (obviously not at the same time) the "After all this time...Always" scene between Dumbledore and Severus I cried at that. Even felt sad for Harry losing so many loved ones. Plus a couple other movies/shows do that to me, but real life? Nope.

AS, OCD, ADHD - Diagnosed
PTSD - Undiagnosed
<"May the Gods have mercy on you for I shall show none...">

Sanctus
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2012, 4:46 am

I can like people, but I discovered that even when apart from them, I hardly miss them. That's been the case with people in school, for example. I really liked most of them and we got along really good, but now that school has ended and I don't see them anymore I don't really miss them. I can't even remember some of their faces and voices, though the last time I saw them is only 5 weeks ago.

Also, my father died 5 years ago in an accident. I was depressed for a few months afterward, but, as horrible as that sounds, it wasn't primarily the fact that I missed him, but the chaos that followed in the rest of my family. There's also the fact that I absolutely do NOT cry or even look sad in public (or when I'm expected to), so the social pressure at the funeral and other occasions was terrible. Everyone was staring at me like "Why isn't she crying?"
It was 1 or 2 years later that I started to miss him at all, and I still feel guilty for not being sad enough. It feels terrible, like I'm a cold unfeeling b*tch, but I can't do anything about it. I just don't get attached to people like others do.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2012, 5:30 am

I seem to attach to people in so far as they are 'useful' to me ie if they provide me with respect, support, advice and friendship etc I don't have a general need to form an attachment with any person I come across - it's usually the opposite - I want to keep away from them as I can tell very quickly when a person is unpleasant and unlikely to be of any benefit to me.

So I'd say I have a utilitarian approach to attachment rather than an emotional one, although I do get strong emotions relating to the people I attach to - usually if I lose the attachment.

I don't think I differ from NTs that much in this approach as they tend to only attach to people they can make use of. They often pretend to attach just to exploit a person, which is not in my nature at all - I like the attachment with a person to be mutually beneficial.

Patchwork
Raven
Raven

10 Aug 2012, 6:50 am

I form emotional attachments. They seem to be either way too intense, or just "not enough" and I seem to people like I don't care.
When I
I don't think we don't form emotional attachments, just that they're often directed at things rather than people, or inappropriate as far as other people are concerned.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2012, 10:59 am

A thread came up a few weeks ago asking ''do Aspies get attached to people more than NTs?'' or something like that.

I actually find I get attached to people, and I cry if they leave or die, whether it's a friend or a relative.

Somberlain
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Aug 2012, 12:51 pm

I feel attachment but I miss no one. If I know that my friends, girlfriend and relatives are happy that's it. I feel no passion to meet with them.

I also have problems in reflecting my emotions.

English is not my native language. 1000th edit, here I come.