Page 2 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2012, 2:00 am

Sex/orgasm gives me the biggest high/most joy

Food gives pleasure more than joy as I see joy as some kind of ultimate pleasure

I don't tend to seek out joy - I like experiencing it but I don't think it's realistic to rely on getting it a lot

When youve split up wth a person and really miss them and they come back to you - that can cause feelings
of elation/joy

Getting a new job can give semi-joyful feelings of success

LadySera
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 May 2012, 2:15 am

I'm more about excitement than joy if that makes any sense. When I have joy (rarely & fleetingly) it's always so foreign to me that I'm caught super off guard. (long severe depression comes into play for me though).

J4mes
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 May 2012, 2:33 am

I think I feel things too intensely a lot if the time, good and bad. I tend to be quite philosophical about negative stuff I have no control over but the little things can get to me.

On the positive side: food, music, being in the countryside, and after seeing a film at the cinema I get positively high!

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2012, 2:58 am

I'm numb. I still do experience joy once in a while though I'm not sure it isn't just a form of very intense relief, since that's the sort of situations where it mostly happens.

But, I can experience a deep, deep calm that others don't seem to be able to.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2012, 3:10 am

Yes, I can.

The emotions that are almost absent in me are ones that are in relation to other people: love (one human, one dog), jealousy, and loneliness.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Lockheart
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 May 2012, 3:23 am

Animals give me joy. If I spot a wild animal I've never seen before, I can be excited about it for hours. Same if I have a successful interaction with a wild animal. My two reptiles, especially my antic-filled lizard, give me joy, as does writing and listening to certain music. (Beethoven's ninth quite literally makes me dash about the room like cats sometimes do. Classical music concerts drive me a bit crazy because if I want to respond this way to the music, I can't.) A beautiful day with perfect conditions gives me pleasure. So does reading a good book.

Cogs
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2012, 3:28 am

Most of the time my emotions are blunted however I can feel them really intensly instead, nothing in between. I can feel joy or pleasure but usually not often.

Lockheart
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 May 2012, 3:29 am

MiatheMutant wrote:
I've been in dangerous situations without feeling fear

I recognise this. I freak out over things NTs wouldn't blink an eye at, yet remain stone-cold calm in situations where I probably should be scared. If I see a venomous snake, my first instinct is to go as close as possible to admire it. I went bungy jumping twice in a row. I was only a little tingly in the stomach beforehand and had only the barest adrenalin rush after.

Guineapigged
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 May 2012, 5:56 am

A excerpt from an essay I once wrote about this topic:

Most of the time, I don’t know what I think. Sometimes I don’t notice that I’m feeling an emotion. Sometimes I do notice, but I don’t know which emotion it is. I don’t make an immediate connection between chest tightness and anxiety, or light-headedness and excitement. Sometimes they blur together and emotions that are supposed to be pleasant make me so restless and uncomfortable I can barely stand it.

I do know when I am feeling sad, because I find it very difficult to tolerate. It comes in short bursts, like waves of nausea. I rarely cry; instead I grind my teeth, rub my hands or tap my ears. This is so that I have something to concentrate on until the feeling has passed.

nikkiDT
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 May 2012, 9:08 am

Of course I can. I feel joy from the simple things of life--being with my cat, sunny days, books etc....

I just don't feel things deeply or strongly most of the time.

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2012, 1:05 pm

I certainly can. But I am aware that what brings me joy others might very well find boring, or at least, trivial. But it is the simple things in life that really are the *Most* rewarding.
Seeing something new to me, or satisfying my curiosity on some issue/subjet bring me the closest thing to joy.

Sincerely,
Matthew

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2012, 1:08 pm

Of course I can I feel Joy and Pleasure every day :P

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2012, 1:18 pm

I mostly feel depressed, on edge or numb.....most positive feelings i have are overshadowed by the feeling of emptiness I have.

AnotherKind
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2012, 3:03 pm

Only when i'm alone. Rarely i feel happy around people...

raylit20
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 May 2012, 6:14 pm

Verdandi wrote:
I can feel positive feelings. I tend to describe my emotions as "good, okay, bad." Or maybe I might say I'm happy or frustrated. I don't really have a lot of words to describe my emotions.

My emotions are blunted, although depression can make this worse. I never knew how to describe depression until recently, when Tuttle suggested "hopelessness." But when my depression is bad is when I can't feel good/happiness or whatever.
I'm about the same. Good (Average day, nothing special going on), okay, bad.

Same for when I'm depressed. I'm not sad, just sort of feeling hopeless like things will never get any better.

JoeRose
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 May 2012, 7:13 pm

I rarely ever feel happy. But that's not to say that I always feel sad. I think my emotional spectrum is completely blunted. I think this is due to the tablets I take. But if I didn't take them I would be experiencing constant extreme anxiety so it's just something I have to deal with.
my most positive emotions are usually when I'm relaxed doing something I enjoy doing. I wouldn't say it is happiness though. I dunno - I've recently related a lot with something called alexithymia. So I think I may experience emotions such as joy and happiness more regularly - I just don't know how to recognise or talk about them.