Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

tjr1243
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 May 2012, 9:26 pm

If so, what kinds of things bring you joy and what is the feeling like (describe)?

Or do you find that your emotions are mostly blunted (numb)?

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

04 May 2012, 9:30 pm

I can feel positive feelings. I tend to describe my emotions as "good, okay, bad." Or maybe I might say I'm happy or frustrated. I don't really have a lot of words to describe my emotions.

My emotions are blunted, although depression can make this worse. I never knew how to describe depression until recently, when Tuttle suggested "hopelessness." But when my depression is bad is when I can't feel good/happiness or whatever.

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2012, 9:36 pm

I feel joy and happiness when I get a present, when I cuddle with my cat, when I have dinner with my brother, when the next manga chapter is released every week. I may have trouble expressing my emotions but I keenly feel them.

If I am depressed the joy is blunted but I would not say that I am emotionally numb, but that my whole emotional spectrum has shifted to the negative.

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2012, 9:38 pm

Cats, good literature and movies, delicious food, and of course sex, drugs and rock music :) It's hard to describe the feeling though. It feels like great amounts of C6H3(OH)2-CH2-CH2-NH2 molecules are released into my synapses and bind to my dopamine receptors.

MiatheMutant
Raven
Raven

04 May 2012, 9:38 pm

I can feel positive emotions pretty strongly, to the point that I occasionally end up shutting down because of it. It's an awful feeling, realizing that you have to mute your emotions to keep yourself under control. On the other hand, I don't really feel many negative emotions, at least not to a "normal" extent. I've been in dangerous situations without feeling fear and in what others have said is a depressed state without really being sad, just bored. I do get irrationally angry at times, though, but it takes a while to get me to that point. When they say "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all", I can honestly apply that to my emotions most of the time. I usually just sit around neutral and watch everyone else seemingly overreact.

Undiagnosed: marginal costs > marginal benefits

Boxman108
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2012, 9:41 pm

Not much joy anymore outside of my own little world. There's immediate gratification, but that's all it is and sadly what accounts for other selfish people mindlessly walking all over others.

While someone else is eating or opening a window or
just walking dully along...

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

04 May 2012, 9:44 pm

What am I, a robot? :lol:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2012, 10:38 pm

Of course I can feel joy or pleasure. The things that bring joy to me are music, working out on my Wii, playing the drums, spending time with my dog and my family, birthdays, Christmas, sunny days, The Kinks, being with my friends, summer, The Olympics summer and winter, a funny movie, a clean living space, going on outings, watching The Monkees, volunteering diet soda and getting paid.

UnLoser
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2012, 10:51 pm

I haven't really felt joy or happiness in quite a while. :( It's not that I'm inherently an unhappy person, it's because I don't like my life.

I have a hard time getting excited about the things I used to(video games, computer animation). Nowadays I spend most of my free time lazing around or on this site.

Chummy
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2012, 10:54 pm

MakaylaTheAspie wrote:
What am I, a robot? :lol:

Ha.

This is all what you get from me^^

---

Yeah I do feel emotions like joy, tho extremely black and white like. When I am happy life is perfect and I have no difficulties. But when I am sad everything is bad, depressing, "against me", etc.

Trainbuff
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 May 2012, 10:56 pm

I can feel joy and pleasure, usually its music that gives me pleasure.

Also sports, TV, Movies, laughter, etc.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2012, 11:03 pm

I do feel joy, though most of the time I don't express it unless it is very intense. The things that bring me joy are:

- Warm, sunny spring/summer days
- Swimming
- Running
- Watching anime
- Watching Johnny Depp movies
- Collecting My Little Ponies
- Spending time with my mom
- My cat, and cats in general
- Anything that makes me laugh

kBillingsley
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 May 2012, 11:12 pm

Mostly just dysphoria, but I do laugh a lot, and am a self-professed master of comedy.

DJFester
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2012, 11:47 pm

I've always been an emotional person, and feel that I express my emotions quite well, although I find that others frequently don't really want to listen. :?

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2012, 11:48 pm

I don't, but I have humour which can make me feel light-hearted.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2012, 1:10 am

Thank goodness I can experience joy and pleasure.

Other than sex, good food and the a few other common things. There are somethings which give me an intense feeling of joy. This includes getting papers into scientific journals, but I will say that the more times I do it the less the sense of joy has become unless I go to new extremes.

I suspect that if scientific work is thought of as an extreme sport then I am seeking out new, harder and more extreme ways to do the sport.

There are a few other things which give me a lot of joy but I would rather not name them here as it would blow my cover.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.