Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

jukebox
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Nov 2006, 7:02 pm

If I were to spawn, what's the official statistic on whether or not they kid would be on the spectrum?

Fraya
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2006, 7:04 pm

Depends on an alarmingly large number of factors and unknown variables but I think the average is about 30% with it going up to about 60-75% if your spawn-mate is also on the spectrum.

But generally all that can be really said with certainty is theres a higher than normal probability.

Don't do anything at all
-----------
"White Rabbit" - Jefferson Airplane

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2006, 7:05 pm

I have never really looked into this.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2006, 7:48 pm

If you were salmon, you would.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2006, 7:53 pm

I was an Aspie born to two NT parents.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2006, 7:57 pm

FRANKLY, I wouldn't mind if the whole world was as I was! It would probably be pretty nice! Of course, I WOULD want about 1/2 to be female, and hopefully pretty. 8-)

THINK OF IT!

No real stupidity!
No senseless put downs!
No provirus acts, etc...
Respect for others!
Altruistic!
No crazy lawsuits for no reason!
No unjust patents
No undue credit for what one hasn't done
Pacifistic.

Talk about utopia! Heck, the old me would have considered me as I am today a sellout!

Anyway, you take your chances with kids no matter what. There are so many things that could go wrong, etc...

Steve

fernando
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2006, 11:02 pm

I'd say around a 40% chance of success based on what I've seen on the real world, after analizing four generations of one aspie's offspring. I mean, I would love to have a kid who is just like me, wouldn't you love to have an aspie kid?

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2006, 12:09 am

I have to tell you. A year ago, if I had a kid, I would have tried to steer him/her a bit away from the more solitary parts of my life. The stable environment would be a LOT better than mine was though. TODAY, I would be FINE with that. I would probably just provide a more stable environment and more info. When I was young, I ASKED for more info. If I had it, I would have been fluent in three, possibly four, languages AND a math expert by 10! LUCKILY, there WERE some ways I just COULDN'T be held back. 8-) As it stands, I am MILDLY fluent in three(My current goal is to be fluent in five as early as this time next year), and not good at math.

Steve

jukebox
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Nov 2006, 3:40 pm

SteveK wrote:
FRANKLY, I wouldn't mind if the whole world was as I was! It would probably be pretty nice! Of course, I WOULD want about 1/2 to be female, and hopefully pretty. 8-)

THINK OF IT!

No real stupidity!
No senseless put downs!
No provirus acts, etc...
Respect for others!
Altruistic!
No crazy lawsuits for no reason!
No unjust patents
No undue credit for what one hasn't done
Pacifistic.

Talk about utopia! Heck, the old me would have considered me as I am today a sellout!

Anyway, you take your chances with kids no matter what. There are so many things that could go wrong, etc...

Steve

I'm glad that that isn't just me. I was thinking the other day (mind you, all of this pregnancy and child-rearing talk isn't out of the blue at all, but that's another thread...) that if I were to be perfectly honest with myself, I'd be more comfortable interacting with a child on the spectrum. I was reading a story about a woman with an autistic son the other day, and she was confounded by the little boy telling her that the wind "hurt" and loud noises "hurt," and I thought, oh, that'd be so easy for me to deal with, and felt a little selfish.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2006, 3:59 pm

Some people don't DESERVE kids! She had trouble with her child saying this stuff hurt? What a MINOR problem! I wonder what she'll do when she gets a REAL problem! Couldn't she try to mitigate the noise, and check into somekind of covering, etc?

Steve

jukebox
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Nov 2006, 4:07 pm

She didn't have a "problem" with it, per se, but she didn't understand - it wasn't rock concert noise or anything, but sudden, sharp noises like playing Yahtzee or fireworks.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2006, 4:18 pm

That's what I mean. To HER, it wasn't a big problem, etc... She should listen to her kid. Her child is the ONLY one on the planet that knows what "hurts" him/her. The parent shouldn't simply disregard it.

Steve

jukebox
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Nov 2006, 4:20 pm

On a totally off-topic note, Yahtzee makes me cringe every time those damn dice hit the table. I ought to make a thread about that.