Do you consider yourself to be intuitive?

Page 2 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Jul 2011
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,036
Location: CT, USA

12 May 2012, 9:02 pm

EXPECIALLY wrote:
1000Knives wrote:
I'm ISTP/ISTJ depending on the day. Sometimes I can actually type as an ESTJ, too. But ISTP is what I scored on my first test, and the descriptions fit most. But yeah, ISTP all the way.

One thing that was interesting is I scored like 16 on Simon Baron Cohen's empathy score, and on personalitycafe, all the different types took the empathy quiz. ISTPs all scored with a few random outliers, abysmally low like that, a lot of 8s, but mostly like 16. The ISTJs meanwhile scored like lower 20s usually, with a few random "flier" 16s, and the INTPs scored lower 20s and above. But I found it interesting the ISTPs pretty much across the board completely failed SBC's empathy test.


That is interesting.

I still don't know that much about the functions and especially how they change depending on what order they're in. I was reading something and someone was saying ( I guess?) that J types often have an S/N split, so they can use both more so than other types.

If that's true it could explain why ISTPs would be the most lacking in empathy but I don't know if it is.

I know INTJs always seem to have more common sense than I do and aren't really as spacey.. I lost track of my average S/N percentages but I'm usually pretty low for S.


Yeah, I don't know, I've taken the tests a bunch of times, and those are the variants I've got, all strong S. But yeah, all the ISTPs scored abysmally like that. http://personalitycafe.com/istp-forum-m ... -quiz.html Links to other types empathy quizzes on the bottom. Yep... Actually, that page there has more results, but still lots of ISTPs scored absymally.

But uh, I never really considered myself intuitive, no.

Also, unrelated, the worst MTBI types to deal with are introverted Fe by far. Extroverted Fes will usually at least tell me how they're feeling so I can act appropriately, whereas introverted ones expect me to read their minds.

I think the other reason I score J sometimes is the questions on the test are like "I prefer things organized and planned" which I do, but real life gets in the way of that and sometimes I just do the Nike "Just do it!" and yeah...



Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Oct 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,516
Location: Aspergers Quadrant, INTJ, AQ 45/50

13 May 2012, 11:53 am

In answer to the thread actual question: Yes


_________________
Now then, tell me. What did Miggs say to you? Multiple Miggs in the next cell. He hissed at you. What did he say?


NarcissusSavage
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Sep 2009
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 675

14 May 2012, 2:16 am

Some of the information in this thread about the different cognitive functions is not correct.

Ie. there is no such thing as introverted Fe. Fe = (e) Extraverted + (F) Feeling

Also, no one is eg. ISTP some days and ISTJ on others, unless they have multiple personalities. The J/P difference is a major split, they are not close...in fact, they have exactly 0 functions in common. They are very different types.

The MBTI type you are referring to is a shorthand, a code, for the distributions of functions.

The first letter I or E indicates whether your first function is introverted or extraverted.
The next two N/S and T/F indicate what preference you have towards intuition vs sensing, and thinking vs feeling.
The last letter J/P indicates which of the middle two letters is your highest order extraverted function, the most dominant function you show the world. P for perceiving, would mean N/S, and J for judging would mean T/F.
The introversion/extraversion switches at each lower priority function, and the opposing function of your dominate function is your inferior (4th).

So, a breakdown of ISTP;

1) Introverted Thinking Ti
2) Extraverted Sensing Se
3) Introverted iNtuition Ni
4) Extraverted Feeling Fe

Compared to ISTJ;

1) Introverted Sensing Si
2) Extraverted Thinking Te
3) Introverted Feeling Fi
4) Extraverted iNtuition Ne

None of them are in the same order, or of the same -troversion. These are very different types.


On a personal note, I heavily use Ni, introverted intuition. (Heavily) I think in concepts primarily, I learn and absorb knowledge on systems and structures and functionality through osmosis. Specific data, such as dates, quotes, figures etc require a large amount of willpower and focus and repetition for my mind to register it. I am often better served figuring out how the data was gathered than trying to memorize the data itself. My type is INTJ, and I fit the profile fairly well. My intuition is impressive, my sensing is abhorrent.



Lockheart
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 16 Apr 2012
Age: 43
Gender: Female
Posts: 341
Location: Australia

14 May 2012, 7:22 am

Yes. Intuition, in my case, is observation combined with logic that is working very fast at a subconscious level. I can always unpack my conclusions later on and figure out how I arrived at the answers.

For what it's worth, I've done the Myers-Briggs two or three times now and have always come out as INTJ.



Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Feb 2011
Age: 48
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,564
Location: Bonnie Scotland

14 May 2012, 7:41 am

cozysweater wrote:
I'm INTJ. Observation and a little logic can take you a long way towards seeming spookily intuitive.
Others think I'm psychic, because of my powers of observation and logic. If others in the office thought a colleague might be pregnant, I was a sort of oracle that could tell them the truth. I just notice a slight weight change, change to complexion, a bottom blouse button being left open and other things which I can't always put my finger on. But I always know, long before they announce it. I have to fake surprise when they announce it, weeks or months later. It's quite funny that my colleagues thought I had a third eye or something. I'm INTJ too, BTW.


_________________
"We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiatic about." Charles Kingsley


zombiegirl2010
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 20 Apr 2012
Age: 41
Gender: Female
Posts: 273
Location: edge of sanity and bliss

14 May 2012, 7:44 am

EXPECIALLY wrote:
I'm kind of a Jung typology/Myers Briggs nerd and there's a lot of debate about Aspies and people with other disorders mistyping as intuives.

The most common AS types are INTJ and INTP.

I'm an INTP but I'm also NT, I know that I actually read people quite well. while missing some obvious things.

There are a lot of INTPs with Aspeger's on the forums and lots of people that consider themselves "experts" (armchair psychiatrists) who say that people with AS only type as INTx because they live inside of their own minds but that they are more like sensing types ("S" types) because they are literal and not good at reading others.

I've thought about saying I disagree because some people with AS are actually very good at reading people, they just aren't tuned in with some of the more obvious things in their environment, but I don't know how often that's really the case.

So what do you think? Can an Aspie be typed correctly at all? Do you think it appears that you aren't capable of reading people because you're paying too much attention to what's beneath the surface or that you actually lack that skill and are more likely ISTJ/ISTP types?


I am ISTJ


_________________
Your Aspie score: 193 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 7 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie


Ataraxis
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 1 May 2012
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 39
Location: North Idaho

14 May 2012, 8:08 am

NarcissusSavage wrote:
On a personal note, I heavily use Ni, introverted intuition. (Heavily) I think in concepts primarily, I learn and absorb knowledge on systems and structures and functionality through osmosis. Specific data, such as dates, quotes, figures etc require a large amount of willpower and focus and repetition for my mind to register it. I am often better served figuring out how the data was gathered than trying to memorize the data itself. My type is INTJ, and I fit the profile fairly well. My intuition is impressive, my sensing is abhorrent.


I'm an INTJ as well, and I am exactly the same way, bigger concepts tend to stick better than specific data. I've always looked at it as a form of pattern recognition, which is how I view intuition. Grasping patterns that you didn't even realize were there. But I may be biased, I've always been obsessed with patterns and symmetry.



Lockheart
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 16 Apr 2012
Age: 43
Gender: Female
Posts: 341
Location: Australia

14 May 2012, 8:36 am

I agree that I probably use pattern recognition. Thinking about it, it might also involve a memory for random details.

I have often surprised people with how accurate my perception is. I do wonder if they're partly surprised because I don't look like I'm paying attention.



bobbythebluesman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 11 May 2012
Age: 62
Gender: Male
Posts: 40

14 May 2012, 9:13 am

Darn tootin

If the spoken or written word was all I had to communicate with I would go nuts. Listening and acknowledging the more subtler ways of communication is required in my opinion.

8O



aspiesavant
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Feb 2015
Posts: 579

10 Jan 2019, 7:36 am

edgewaters wrote:
I don't really understand what's meant by intuition. It seems what's meant is "stuff that just comes to you", some sort of cognitive process that happens below the level of awareness.


The way I understand it, the term "intuition", as used by the MBTI, is a reference to the capability to (easly) connect different pieces of information by recognizing the inherent patterns / connections underlying that information. It is a theory-oriented, conscious, rational way of processing information.

In contrast, "sensing" (as used by the MBTI) is a reference to the capability to link things, persons and events at a more subconscious, emotional level. It is rooted in directly observable physical reality and previous experiences, and not so much in theory.

Going by those definitions, I'm definitely "intuitive". My MBTI profile is INTP.



Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Aug 2018
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,866

10 Jan 2019, 8:49 am

I'm an INTJ and consider myself more intuitive than most NTs.



kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 72,288
Location: Queens, NYC

10 Jan 2019, 9:19 am

I can be somewhat intuitive at times.

Other times, I just get it wrong.....



sorrowfairiewhisper
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2015
Gender: Female
Posts: 718
Location: United Kingdom Dorset

10 Jan 2019, 9:22 am

I think everyone is intuitive , some are just more intuned with there abilities than others.

I find that when I ignore my intuition, that's when I get things wrong, same goes for when others try to influence me then me being guided by my own intuition



kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 72,288
Location: Queens, NYC

10 Jan 2019, 9:34 am

I've used my so-called "intuition," and almost got in trouble LOL

I don't usually rely on it.



ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Sep 2008
Age: 68
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,617

10 Jan 2019, 10:42 am

EXPECIALLY wrote:
Can an Aspie be typed correctly at all? Do you think it appears that you aren't capable of reading people because you're paying too much attention to what's beneath the surface or that you actually lack that skill and are more likely ISTJ/ISTP types?

I think the diagnostic power of a lot of tests breaks down when applied to us, because they're not designed for us. I've not messed with the Myers-Briggs thing much so I don't know what my type is, for some reason I've not been able to work up much faith in its ability to help me.

As far as I can tell, most of my ideas begin as intuition rather than as a mechanical, logically-processed thing. Something occurs to me and I'll often attempt to put it into words if I need to communicate or process it further. Sometimes it can take a long time to articulate a feeling, I might get a bad feeling about something somebody says or does but it can be a while before I can fathom why I feel that way, and it bugs me that I can seem so irrational. I think in my case I grew up to expect every bit of human activity to be logical, every thought to be rational, but I began to see that it's really not that way so much. At first it was hard to see any further than that, but gradually I got used to the idea. Certainly these days I can't interact or observe anybody without having a strong sense of what their feelings might be, and that sense governs my behaviour towards them. There was a time when I'd not see any of that consciously, so I'd take everything they said at face value and ignore everything else.

I've heard some Aspies say that they consciously and deliberately try to read body language etc. which takes more time and energy than it would for a NT. I don't think I ever really did that - I studied body language but found that real-life social situations moved too quickly for me to keep up consciously. With me it felt more like my brain / heart had always "known" how to read people but the print was extremely faint and ghost-like, and for a long time I ignored it and preferred to deal with hard facts and conscious logic. It was almost as if there was a set of NT brain connections operating underneath my Aspie brain wiring, but the NT voltage was very low, so it was a long time before I could see the activity and begin to respond to it.

I still can't do that kind of thing anything like as much or as well as I'd like. In particular, when I'm dealing with a number of people at once in a rapidly-changing social situation it happens way too fast for me to process and act accordingly, so from a speed point of view it's not a lot better than the logical way, but I think the things it tells me are more likely to be socially useful. It works best when it's just one-on-one in a relaxed, comfortable, slow-moving environment without distractions.



aspiesavant
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Feb 2015
Posts: 579

10 Jan 2019, 11:53 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
I think the diagnostic power of a lot of tests breaks down when applied to us, because they're not designed for us. I've not messed with the Myers-Briggs thing much so I don't know what my type is, for some reason I've not been able to work up much faith in its ability to help me.


I have an official ASS diagnosis.

On MBTI personality tests, I consistently come up as an INTP.

When I read a book about the INTP personality, I actually recognize myself much better than when I read a book about Autism. With this, I don't mean to say that I don't have ASS. Rather, I mean that the former gives a more detailed picture of what makes me tick than the latter!

So if I were you, I'd just take the test and verify if I recognized myself in the result.