A Concise, Cynical and Amusing Description of Conversations

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

ciano
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 May 2012, 10:16 pm

A comedian describes how people exchange stories with one another. He articulates a lot of things that most people would say you're "just supposed to know" and explains the mechanics of it very clearly. The part to which I'm referring starts at 0:37 and ends at 2:04.

http://youtu.be/1MetDrR7f7I?t=37s

I thought this guy was pretty funny, and that he makes some good (albeit rather cynical) points. What about you guys? Do you think this guy's routine might have some good information to know about how to have conversations?

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

13 May 2012, 10:44 pm

It was funny, certainly. When he was making expressions, he reminded me of Robin Williams (not the routine, just how he looked).

I think he's probably on point about people listening to what you're saying versus thinking about what they want to say.

Cogs
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 6:07 am

I agree, very funny.

Do people actually think about what they are going to say instead of/while listening?

ciano
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 May 2012, 10:09 am

I don't think NTs think of what they're going to say to the EXCLUSION of listening to what they'd be responding to, but for me, thinking about how to respond while listening is a huge part of having conversations.