Diagnosis through Insurance - Is it Really that Dangerous?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

EstherJ
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 6:30 am

I have a dilemma.

I have official ADOS testing Thursday, because my psychologist is convinced that I have Asperger's, and I am too.
I need help, in order to be successful. I need the therapy, I need the self-knowledge, and I need the support.
Since I'm under 25 I'm on my Dad's insurance. It's very good insurance. It's Blue Cross Blue Shield, but its through his company and its very, very good.

I have heard all these horror stories about getting an official diagnosis and the discrimination that ensued. I'm not so sure that's going to be the case for me, because my field is academia, in specifics, university level academia. I'm going for a doctorate in a few years. I have a 4.0 and a lot of potential, and will be published in the next two years. I could get into any graduate school that I wanted, however, a reason that I need help is because taking the GRE with my sensory issues untreated would really be a problem.

So, I'm torn. I don't want to hurt myself by getting it official, but I'm not sure if I will. I hear these stories, but I really need to know what's reality. Is it really that worrisome? Or is it worrisome only in specific cases?

Please, advice would really be appreciated.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 7:26 am

Part of it comes down to where you are and the particulars of the insurance you have. My insurance (through my parents) has actually only gotten better with my diagnosis, because it covers OT now instead of needing to petition for it, and even has no limits on the number of times I go to my current OT even though it normally has a limit for number of times to PT/OT in a year. (It's 60/year total except treatment for ASDs don't count towards that limit)

I've found its worth the diagnosis, even with those potential issues. If you need help, you need help. It's far better to get the help than not get help, not get accommodations, and get in the bottom 10% of GRE scores because of that :(

EstherJ
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 10:27 am

Yeah, I feel like I can do better with help than without...and I looked up my claim for the first visit and the insurance already paid it....
I can do very well on the GRE- if you put me in a quiet room (I mean QUIET) and give me extra time....
Standardized testing really is irrelevant anyway - the SAT predicted that I would be a B student in college.
Never mind my 4.0.

I don't know, I'm just scared, honestly.

MeshugenahMama
Raven
Raven

13 May 2012, 11:18 am

I am not exactly sure where the prejudice that some people experience comes from, but.......
My husband works in the medical field and he says it is highly illegal for anyone-insurance company or a medical facility-to share any infomation. He says it's highly confidential, and they can go to prison if they share info on your medical record w/o your permission. We recently discussed this, because I am also considering getting diagnosed, but I am concerned about possible ramifications. A little while ago I saw an interview with Temple Grandin, and she said to get the help you need, but don't diagnose, because it will raise your insurance premiums, which is a definite possibilty. I don't have health insurance, so for me there are other issues holding me back

As far as the GRE, I had a very similar experience. I had to take the test in a room the size of a closet with 4 other people, and I found it very difficult. One of my sensory issues is super sensitive hearing. I found myself so distracted by the sound of them typing, that I couldn't concentrate. The really weird thing is that it wasn't that it was annoying-it was almost musical and I kept wanting to stop and just listen-really weird-I know. Anyway, I didn't do great on portions of it, but I ended up finding a graduate school that didn't require it. It is so agravating-I hate those tests. It is supposed to predict how you will do in the program, but I also have a 4.0 in the master's program that I am in-as you say-so much for their tests.

EstherJ
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 11:43 am

I think its really a tragedy that the insurance premium would be so sensitive to this kind of thing.

It's not like a liability. It's not like it's a rare condition, either. The U.S. is so "concerned" about the rise in autism, and the cost of caring for or being autistic, but come on, give me a break. If someone was really concerned, they would do something about it.

I learned today that my insurance covers most of everything, because it's connected to my Dad's company and I'm not 25.
So, I have a few years to get the help and tools I need. I think that's the way I'm gonna see it.

By the way, what school doesn't take the GRE? I'm looking to get a Master's/Ph.D in Middle Eastern History and Archaeology...avoiding the GRE would be HEAVEN.
I also like the name, MeshugenahMama, because I know what meshugenah means. But, I doubt you're meshugenah...

MeshugenahMama
Raven
Raven

13 May 2012, 2:50 pm

I am in the speech therapy program through Nova Southeastern University in Florida. It's perfect for me, because not only did they not require thr GRE, but it's completely online. Unfortunately I don't think that they have anything even remotely related to what you want to do. I think that if you prepare for the GRE, you'll do fine. I am 42, and so I have not seen some of the info and formulas in 20 years. I did not study for it at all-didn't crack a book, so it's no wonder I didn't do great. I got a 950 total, and most places that I looked at required a min. score of 1000, so it's not like I missed it by a long shot. So if I would have actually done any preparing at all, I probably would have done much better. I tend to be a fly by the seat of my pants kind of person and never do as much planning as I should. If I decide to continue on and get a Ph.D I will faced with the decision of whether I will retake it, because I think most doctorate programs require it also.

My dilemma with getting a diagnosis is that I am fine with paying the $1000 for the assessment, but w/o health insurance (which I can't afford), I can't afford the therapy, so what good does the diagnosis do me. I may do it anyway, just to have in my back pocket, but I don't know. It sounds like it may be a good option for you.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 3:07 pm

EstherJ wrote:
So, I have a few years to get the help and tools I need. I think that's the way I'm gonna see it.

That's the way I see it too. I'm not as smart as you and Mama but according to the system I wasn't supposed to make it in college at all. I currently have a 3.82 GPA in college after an impressive <1.0 throughout K-12 (not many people can pull that off without at least getting held back a couple of grades). The difference is support. I had none in k-12 but in college just minimal things like a quiet room for tests, extra time for tests, and professors rather than 'drill instructors' make all the difference in the world. I say use whatever resources are available to improve your quality of life and help you get to where you want to go.

I like Mama's name too :)

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 4:04 pm

My diagnosis was in large part covered by my insurance. I'd agree with MeshugenahMama that it's highly confidential. I don't think it will increase my already high and government-imposed insurance, though. I live in Eastern-Europe, so things might be a little different here.

I expected a little more help from the dx, but the insurance essentially covers only a very limited amount of therapy. At least my self-dx has been confirmed, so now I'm more willing to accept that I need some kind of help, even if I have to pay for it myself.