Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2006, 5:42 pm

I'm different in that I've had my family get on my case about crying when something serious happened, such as when my brother was in a bad accident and in a coma. Because of that, I only cried after my grandpa's funeral was over. At the funerals of friends, I've been able to cry during the funeral because I knew that nobody would give me nasty looks. I once did get the giggles at a friend's funeral, but that was because I was thinking of something the friend said that was funny. It took everything I had to control the giggles, or NT's would think I was insensitive and heartless.

SweXtal
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Nov 2006, 11:17 pm

Well, I feel intense sorrow for everything living I can't save including human beings.

Sounds weird and I can't explain it logically. When I think about it my daughter has been running around saving drowning worms and wet snails, because she felt pity about them getting wet. I've simply walked out in deep water to pick up my children not noticing that they was in the path of drowning.

Scintillate
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2006, 9:25 am

I saved a mouse the other day from drowning, it escaped into the house and my mum called me an idiot..

:?

However in relation to death, I've never lost anyone close to me so I wouldn't know what its like. However my grandad passed on when i was around 12, and I didn't really feel anything.

GenericBrandUserName
Toucan
Toucan

16 Nov 2006, 11:27 am

It's a bit of an odd case with me. I'm very emphatic and when I feel something, it's intense, whether it's happiness, sadness, depression, joy, excitement, frustration, etc. When it comes to death, however, I've noticed that I'm pretty indifferent, unemotional about it. I think it's because I have a far greater grasp and understanding of death and my own mortality than most NTs, and because of this, I grieve very little or not at all. I've have members of my extended family and my friend's mom die in the past and I never once shed a tear. It's not because I don't care or that I'm not emotional. It's because I know dying is a fact of life, thus my grieving period is pretty much nonexistant.

Scintillate
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2006, 12:33 pm

Interesting..

NO offence intended, of course grieving is required for most..

However, I believe grieving is definately for those still living, I think some sort of celebration or happyness should be shared however for someone passing on because they've moved on from this life and all its troubles.

GenericBrandUserName
Toucan
Toucan

16 Nov 2006, 1:03 pm

I agree. When I die, I want there to be this huge-ass mosh in celebration of my life, not a funeral. :D

nina
Raven
Raven

16 Nov 2006, 5:26 pm

This is a major concern of mine for my son. He once asked me if our dog died if we could get another dog. Our dog is really sick now and I wonder if he'll be sad when she does die. I also wonder a lot if when I die if it will upset him. I would like to think he would miss me, but I'm not so sure.

Fraya
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2006, 5:51 pm

I think he will.

For most of us even if we arent sad or cry because of losing someone we still will miss the person if they were a comforting/interesting/desired presence in our lives.

While it may not seem like much, that is a very special, rare and honored position to hold.

Don't do anything at all
-----------
"White Rabbit" - Jefferson Airplane

lemon
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2006, 5:08 pm

i was thinking about emotions too, lately,
my grandmother has died as well last week, but since she was living as a plant for the last 3 or 4 years, my grandfather sitting next to her, it was better for her to go.

emotions,
if i can consider myself an aspie...

i see emotions like something 'factual', i think nt's have some kind of conventions, but as these conventions are different for all nt's, it's hard to understand what they really are.

so i tend to stick to facts , if my husband says he loves me , what does 'love' mean ...?
that he wants to stay with me, living together, or that he feels like making love , or that he doesn't want any other man to touch me, or that he wants to have fun together, etc... ?

and for grieve it's the same, i'll translate 'being sad' into 'regretting it is not there anymore', since your grandmother prefered to die herself you don't regret it she died, so you don't feel any grieve, but you probably would feel grieve if someone you really felt like spending more time with would die.

Fraya
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2006, 5:11 pm

But then again regret doesnt make much sense either.

The past is immutable so what is the point of wishing for it to change?

Don't do anything at all
-----------
"White Rabbit" - Jefferson Airplane

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

17 Nov 2006, 5:25 pm

I suppose in a way greiving is a release of emotion, similar to our meltdowns, I suppose.

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

lemon
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2006, 7:34 pm

not always,
in the case of death it might be,
but otherwise lot's of things can be undone,
broken things can be rebuild, etc

and with death i've got a strange relationship,
my mother died when i was a kid,
and somehow it's like one day she'll be back,
maybe she told me something like that,
like 'i'll be back in a few hours and we'll do something nice
together' and a part of me still unconciously waiting for it.
but it's irrational i know ...