Do you think autism needs to be cured

Page 2 of 7 [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

vanhalenkurtz
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 4:22 am

Ask me when I was 12, making word noises euphorically in my little room the size of the universe, I would have said no. Ask me again when I was 19 getting beat up and worse in the navy, I'd say yes. Ask me when I was 30 in love with Shelley and long walks in my mind, I'd say no. Ask me again when I was 45 when my wife left me and took the kids, the answer would be yes. Ask me today, I'd say it's too late I don't care. You could be as normal as a blank sheet of paper and still there's ups & downs when you hit the typewriter. Is there a cure for suffering? The cure for joy will probably be right around the corner.

EQ: 6.

Heidi80
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 5:00 am

There should be a cure for NT

rileyup
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 May 2012, 5:45 am

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 6:01 am

Only for problems such as challenging behaviour, lack of speech, etc.

CSBurks
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 9:52 am

Heidi80 wrote:
There should be a cure for NT

I think it's called forced sterilisation.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 10:18 am

vanhalenkurtz wrote:
Ask me when I was 12, making word noises euphorically in my little room the size of the universe, I would have said no. Ask me again when I was 19 getting beat up and worse in the navy, I'd say yes. Ask me when I was 30 in love with Shelley and long walks in my mind, I'd say no. Ask me again when I was 45 when my wife left me and took the kids, the answer would be yes. Ask me today, I'd say it's too late I don't care. You could be as normal as a blank sheet of paper and still there's ups & downs when you hit the typewriter. Is there a cure for suffering? The cure for joy will probably be right around the corner.

Wisdom here.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 10:21 am

Ganondox wrote:
vanhalenkurtz wrote:

Wisdom here.

Very profound

zombiegirl2010
Toucan
Toucan

14 May 2012, 10:42 am

No, I just want help for my anxiety & depression that plagues me along side of it.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 10:51 am

Atomsk wrote:
The idea of mothers terminating pregnancies because autism was detected in the baby disgusts me. It does for any other disability as well.

I feel the same way that you do on this issue.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 10:53 am

I also don't wish to be cured, because my autism is an important part of who I am. I have my unusual quirks, kinks and interests because of that. I'd rather eat lemons than be cured.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

14 May 2012, 11:33 am

Delphiki wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
vanhalenkurtz wrote:
Wisdom here.
Very profound
I'll say - a wonderfully poetic and considered response to a simple question, avoiding all the simplistic answers.

This brought tears of happy recognition to my eyes:
Ask me when I was 12, making word noises euphorically in my little room the size of the universe, I would have said no.

Last edited by Cornflake on 14 May 2012, 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 11:41 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I also don't wish to be cured, because my autism is an important part of who I am. I have my unusual quirks, kinks and interests because of that. I'd rather eat lemons than be cured.

Same. Well, it would be nice for the sensory issues to be cured.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 11:50 am

A cure is too universal and interferes too much with your personality. It would damage the people subjected to it, and it would damage society as a whole by getting rid of at least one useful aspect of diversity.

What we need is better education, more useful treatment, better acceptance and integration. We don't need to change the brains of the autistic people; we need to change the society they have trouble fitting into.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

yondoloki
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 May 2012, 12:05 pm

I don't think there should be a cure, and I don't think they will find one.

But I think that a lot of people would be happier and have a better life with autism/AS if they got the help they needed and the understanding they needed. I think maybe the best treatment would be knowlegde and giving people the help they need.

Probably very naïve of me to think this way...

Without love and disarming beauty
- Tuomas Holopainen, Nightwish

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 12:16 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
CrazyCatLord wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
I think that a cure would be a very bad idea. A cure for being the way that I was made, and for being myself? No thank you.

If it was possible to replace the neural connections between the frontal lobe and the rest of the brain that are missing in autistic people, we would still be ourselves. We would still have the neural overconnectivity within the frontal lobe that gives some of us improved cognitive abilities. We'd simply gain all the abilities that we're currently lacking, such as normal social instincts, better motor control, improved depth and distance perception etc.

For me, this would mean that I might be able to look somebody in the eye, smile at them, and reach out to shake their hand without knocking something over. That's like giving a neurotypical person the ability to fly. It doesn't change their personality, it only greatly enriches their life experience.

we don't really know if it could affect other aspects of their personality because we don't have any cured people at hand. for me, i experience every aspect of the world and the contents of my own mind with an autistic brain, so i do not think that i could be cured and still be fully "me". it would be like removing the colour red from the world and expecting things to look the same.

I guess a few personality traits would change. But psychopharmaceuticals do the same (how many aspies are on antidepressants?), and so does a different diet. Add more tryptophane to your diet by eating more bananas, poultry or cheese, and your serotonin levels go up, resulting in a different outlook on life and different behavior. Among other things, elevated tryptophane / serotonin levels improve self-control (link), change people's sense of fairness (link), and lead to more rational decision making (link).

I'd call that a personality change. Eat a cheese sandwich, and two hours later you're a slightly different person. And yet people barely notice when neurotransmitter precursors in their diet change their personality for the better. They simply feel good after ingesting psychoactive chemicals. I imagine that an improved neural connectivity would do the same. One would be more alert, more in the here and now, more socially capable, and better able to enjoy life rather than being anxious, stressed and confused all the time. That's a personality change I could live with :)

PS: It's interesting that you would compare it to a missing primary color. Personally, I would compare it to being able to see additional colors that one was unaware of before.

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 12:22 pm

Atomsk wrote:
The idea of mothers terminating pregnancies because autism was detected in the baby disgusts me. It does for any other disability as well.

What I find disgusting is that humans still breed like animals and roll genetic dice without giving much thought to the happiness and capabilities of their future children. "Sorry son, something went awry when we put you together, but we went ahead and forced you into this world anyway. Off you go now, good luck trying to survive on your own out there". We should be better than that.

Anyway, if there was a cure for autism, there would be no reason to abort autistic children. I don't understand why people read "cure" and think "abortion". Cures are for existing people who struggle with medical conditions. As for embryos, in an ideal world they would be cultured in vitro and screened for disorders before they're implanted, which means that abortions would be a thing of the past.