Do you act more aspie when talking to other aspies?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

scubasteve
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2012, 3:48 am

Do your aspie traits tend to be more visible around other aspies?

Do you find it more difficult to control or hide these traits in this situation?

I had noticed this in conversation with another aspie, and was wondering if it's just us, or if this is common. Thanks.

zooguy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 May 2012, 5:48 am

I act less - I'm more comfortable around ones of my own kind

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2012, 5:52 am

It's been so long since I've spent much time with another person with Aspergers or Autism (at least who I knew had Aspergers or Autism), that I don't know whether I'd have more traits come out.

DanRaccoon
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2012, 6:39 am

I wouldn't know really I've never rally knowingly talked to another aspie recently, but I could see why people would act in such a way. they'd feel as if they could act more like themselves because they are around people who understand, or it's just imitation of people in the group.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DanRaccoon

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2012, 9:47 am

Yes and no. Around other Aspies, I become significantly more energetic and outgoing, which makes me look less autistic. On the other hand, because I talk and express myself so much more, all of my external Aspie traits, such as odd hand gestures/handwringing, pedantic speech, and extreme bluntness, become more frequent and visible.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.