Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2012, 10:36 pm

This last weekend I had a one way flight from where my parents live to where I live, as I had driven down to my parents with my brother who was staying out there. The flight went well, I had a good neighbor, and the flight was quiet. All was well until I was leaving the airport and I saw a guy leaving with a bag that was similar looking to my carry-on (but not identical), the same carry-on that I did not have with me. Well in the process of trying to find my bag (go back through security, talk to lots of people) I had a melt down in the airport, and I had a more difficult time trying to speak than normal (I start to stutter very badly), and I had a harder time understanding the very nice people trying to help me (all the TSA agents were super nice and understanding and so were the airline people). This goes to show that no matter how many check lists you have to remember everything you still forget stuff. Also small changes are very hard to deal with, I get very upset for some reason even if I know it is illogical. If my bag was gone, I would be ok, nothing important was in it, but that did not help my brain in the airport.

So during my regular weekly psych sessions today, it was suggested that next time I fly on my own (this coming July to see my whole family at my sister's place) that I bring my cat along as an emotional support. He has already suggested that I bring my cat to work to help calm me, but my cat is still a kitten and too rambunctious for that right now, maybe when he is older. But for a plane flight I would drug him a bit, so he would be calmer, and perhaps sleeping. He offered to write up a letter designating me as disabled and needing my cat as an emotional support. (As a plus I would also have my cat at my sister's which will undoubtedly be stressful).

Does anyone have experience flying with an animal as an emotional support animal? I will be flying Southwest Airlines. I would like to be able to put him on my lap during the flight if he is sleeping, but I do not know if that will be allowed (I can keep him in his carrier if needed). I am used to traveling in a car for 5plus hours with a cat, so the flight time including airport would be less, and with in my experience range for traveling with my cat.

Any experiences will be helpful to know.