Ever get stuck in a Vocal or Verbal loop?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

MarthaCannary
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jun 2012, 12:05 pm

Sometimes for no apparent reason I'll start repeating favorite phrases from movies or favorite famous quotes. Sometimes I'll even get to the point where it seems like I can't get it to stop or I don't want to stop but know subconsciously that i should.

Sometimes it's whistling the Imperial Death March, sometimes it's the Sesame Street theme sometimes it's complex classical pieces like Georges Bizet Carmen.

Last night it was "It put's the lotion on it's skin or else it gets the hose again"..... in monotone, friggin CREEEEPY right? Well now imagine it half verbal and half grunting/humming, over and over again ad nauseum. To try and break the loop I'd change the vocal part, repeating the phrase but doing it with whistles, then humming it, then drumming out the syllables on my desk... For hours! If it's a techno/trance song that's running through me were talking like 120 beats per minute or more!

I know if I really had to, or if I was in public, I'd be doing it in my head.

Usually I can't identify a trigger that starts it and I don't really notice I'm doing it, I kinda just become aware all of a sudden that I'm doing it. Sometimes this will go on for a couple of days to a week.

It becomes a bit of a problem when say were watching I movie and I start tapping whatever rhythm I have going on in my head on my boyfriends leg, bouncing my knee or rocking my whole leg side to side or while massaging his neck/shoulders I'm massaging to the rhythm I have going on in my head. I mean it feels good to me.... till it doesn't and I can't make it stop.

This isn't like my usual stimming, this is like stimming to the next level. The other odd things I do daily I'm used to, but this stuck in a loop thing has bothered me since childhood, kinda makes me feel like I'm losing it after awhile while still feeling really good at the same time.

Anyone know what this is?

How to stop it once I realize I'm doing it?

Should I even bother or care?

Outofsync
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Jun 2012, 12:31 pm

I get a word or phrase stuck in my head that I hear or say or think and repeat it over and over many times before I realize it. I will also spell it out onto my index finger using my thumb and only pressure, concentrating on each syllable. I have no idea what this or how long I've been doing it. I can do this all day or some days only a few times. I will randomly repeat a phrase from a show or movie and also things I have made up. The made up things I usually say very loudly in a weird voice or sing-song like. Sometimes, though rarely, I'll repeat out loud something I hear someone say on tv and in the exact same tone and inflection immediately after they say it. Only if they have a particular intensity or riveting inflection, though. Just seems weird as I know no one who does this.

Your Aspie score: 165 of 200
Your Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 32 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2012, 12:42 pm

This happens to me when I'm under extreme stress. It's either this or banging my head against things--and I really don't know which is worse. After my house caught fire, I had the "Snoopy Come Home" movie song in my head for almost a month, sometimes to the point where I couldn't think over it. I don't know where it came from, either. I hadn't seen the movie in over 20 years.

MarthaCannary
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jun 2012, 12:48 pm

Outofsync wrote:
I get a word or phrase stuck in my head that I hear or say or think and repeat it over and over many times before I realize it. I will also spell it out onto my index finger using my thumb and only pressure, concentrating on each syllable. I have no idea what this or how long I've been doing it. I can do this all day or some days only a few times. I will randomly repeat a phrase from a show or movie and also things I have made up. The made up things I usually say very loudly in a weird voice or sing-song like. Sometimes, though rarely, I'll repeat out loud something I hear someone say on tv and in the exact same tone and inflection immediately after they say it. Only if they have a particular intensity or riveting inflection, though. Just seems weird as I know no one who does this.

I do all that, but that's my usual thing. Making up lyrics to go to songs on the fly to get me through some situations is just a matter of my day. I get frustrated with my boyfriend losing things all the time and him making me help him find it. I made a song, ad lib as always....:

Sung loudly to "Oh My Darlin"

Baby wheres my?,
BABY WHERES MY?,
Baby where's my this and that?,
I've gone and lost it and I can't find it,
Baby Where's my this and that.

Boyfriend = unimpressed by lyrical talent.....

No the thing I was getting at was, getting stuck in what i guess would be a stim loop. Finding it hard sometimes to stop, like impossible.

MarthaCannary
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jun 2012, 12:50 pm

Mindsigh wrote:
This happens to me when I'm under extreme stress. It's either this or banging my head against things--and I really don't know which is worse. After my house caught fire, I had the "Snoopy Come Home" movie song in my head for almost a month, sometimes to the point where I couldn't think over it. I don't know where it came from, either. I hadn't seen the movie in over 20 years.

I haven't seen Silence of the Lambs for at least 15 years.... "It put's the lotion on it's skin or else it gets the hose again"

Lucywlf
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Jun 2012, 1:09 pm

Oh, boy, that sort of thing happens to me all the time!

What's worse is that I'll say something in conversation and then wind up saying it over and over because I can't think of anything else to say or do, or even to just shut up.