Finally, an Anime that displays social anxiety/ASD perfectly

Page 1 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2014, 12:03 pm

It's a masterpiece. This anime now sits on the top of my favorite lists of all time:

Watamote

http://anilinkz.com/series/watashi-ga-m ... i-watamote

(Use Firefox with Noscript to prevent malicious software on this site please! You've been warned).

crubs
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Jan 2014, 6:54 pm

That's amazing. I've only watched the first couple episodes but I reflect off this character so easily. I'm not as shy (except around girls), and I exhibit more pronounced "stimming" behaviors. but this is otherwise spot-on. I hope any NT who watches this can learn to empathize with us.

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2014, 11:20 pm

I won't be checking out the site or the video(s?) because if the site's that infected, it's too risky.

The idea of an animated film trying to represent ASD troubles me, however, since we've heard many times "If you'me met one autistic person, you've met ONE autistic person".

Each person on the spectrum has their own strengths and weaknesses with regards to "deviating" from the NT type.

A video that possibly presents ONE autistic person could mislead people, and while well intentioned, could end up being a source of MISinformation, no matter how well presented or how well done.

What would these results mean? Been told here I must be a "half pint".

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2014, 11:41 pm

It's also in Crunchyroll (a much safer site but has less content..and its usually dubbed not subbed)

This is not a rainman-type thing... the makers of the anime had people who have social anxiety and ASD as part of their team writing the script. Its very,very good.

Of course, being an anime they do exaggerate things a little bit to make it funny.. but you spend most of the time watching it feeling the visceral awkwardness of the main character's life.

Makar

27 Jan 2014, 12:42 am

Ugh this is like watching myself when I was in middle school. The only difference was that I had no interest in relationships, I just wanted friends. Actually I didn't even want friends, I just wanted humans as camouflage

I'd say visceral awkwardness is an accurate description.

Last edited by Makar on 27 Jan 2014, 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

briankelley
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2014, 12:53 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHg5B69hV9M[/youtube]

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2014, 1:11 am

Dantac wrote:
...Of course, being an anime they do exaggerate things a little bit to make it funny.. but you spend most of the time watching it feeling the visceral awkwardness of the main character's life.

Oh wonderful.

Yes, I'm sure it's a great work, making being autistic something the masses can be amused by.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2014, 7:25 am

Dantac wrote:
It's a masterpiece. This anime now sits on the top of my favorite lists of all time:

Watamote

http://anilinkz.com/series/watashi-ga-m ... i-watamote

(Use Firefox with Noscript to prevent malicious software on this site please! You've been warned).

I think you should make the not that your link is a malware vector a little more obvious. Some people may already click on the link before reading the warning.

THIS LINK IS TO MALWARE! DO NOT CLICK WITHOUT PROTECTION! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Something like that.

Wind
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2014, 9:14 am

I watched this last year. Great Anime. Shame it came to an end so quickly. I think she has AS traits, but not enough to be a character that would be diagnosed.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2014, 9:30 am

Better than Ed in Cowboy Bebop?

She's like the perfect example of autism.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2014, 11:49 am

Sethno wrote:
Dantac wrote:
...Of course, being an anime they do exaggerate things a little bit to make it funny.. but you spend most of the time watching it feeling the visceral awkwardness of the main character's life.

Oh wonderful.

Yes, I'm sure it's a great work, making being autistic something the masses can be amused by.

It's not like that. Watch before you judge.

I found myself laughing because of the 'oh god I've been there...done that.... *cringe*' moments. :)

crubs

27 Jan 2014, 9:14 pm

Wind wrote:
I watched this last year. Great Anime. Shame it came to an end so quickly. I think she has AS traits, but not enough to be a character that would be diagnosed.

I think I may recommend this to some NT individuals to see what social life of an aspie feels like, especially without a diagnoses. Maybe she isn't quite an aspie, but I'm guessing she's cutting it close to the spectrum. What I observed was:
-Social akwardness
-Academic intelligence
-Specific interests (Anime) where she is capable of carrying out a conversation
-Dysfuntional empathy (unable to determine the thoughts and motives of others as well as most people)
-Meltdowns
EDIT:
-Obsessed with video games
-Has trouble sleeping
-Is unaware of socially unacceptable behaviors and the consequences thereof (Approaching a flooding river, playing with ants, smashing a cockroach)

Her social anxiety actually looked worse than mine on average. I can talk to people who aren't my peers, but I do get uncomfortable in public places. I can talk to others normally if I have legit business doing so. If I have to talk for no reasons other than social ones, I'm incapable of interacting with strangers. Like her, I can't talk to peers of the opposite sex at all (unless, again, I have legit business doing so).

Last edited by crubs on 27 Jan 2014, 9:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LastSanityJermaine
Raven
Raven

27 Jan 2014, 9:16 pm

Dillogic wrote:
Better than Ed in Cowboy Bebop?

She's like the perfect example of autism.

How so and I thought Ed was a boy

LastSanityJermaine
Raven
Raven

28 Jan 2014, 8:09 am

I just spent the whole night watching all 12 episodes

My god this is saddest anime I've ever seen I just want to jump in there and help her. I cried a little because it reminded so much of my early high school years.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2014, 4:39 pm

LastSanityJermaine wrote:
How so and I thought Ed was a boy

She's socially odd and eccentric
her friend is a dog
she's a computer savant
she "stims" almost constantly
she talks oddly [in comparison to others]
people think she's a boy (she's androgynous) :P

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 5:52 am

I watched the first few episodes of this earlier on. Great show, definitely one of the best animes I've seen in a long time, and I can definitely relate to the main character in a lot of ways. Of course, it can be somewhat hard to watch sometimes, and it does sort of straddle a weird line between being amusing and depressing. I would almost call it black comedy, in a way.