Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Katatonia
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Jun 2012, 10:12 am

Okay, then why don't I do these things? I never said I found them weird, I've never done things like. I tend to move around a lot however, but it doesn't "release" negativity. I like how you people assume things about me.

drgoodietwoshoes
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Jun 2012, 10:29 am

We all made assumptions based on the fact that most people on the spectrum have many of the same traits, but, while technically I can't speak for everyone, most of us also have heard the saying, "if you've met one person with AS, you've met one person with AS." which just means each of us is unique in our presentation of symptoms. . .maybe you don't stim, maybe you do it without knowing it like I did. I also suspect that most of the people on here have thoroughly researched what it means to have AS. . .which is also linked to another trait, which is that many of us tend to perseverate on things (which means to obsess--personally, I totally obsessed about AS for two weeks. I was trying to learn as much information as possible about autism and AS).
It doesn't really matter in the end. You posted about mood swings and autism. People made either incorrect or correct assumptions and gave responses that (most of them) were trying to be friendly and help you (sure the age thing could have been a little more tactful--but again most of us lack tact, and the ability to tell when others are being sarcastic, because most of us our truthful to a fault and expect everyone else to be too, I mean really for all anyone knows maybe you are trolling. . .I'm going to assume your not, because I wouldn't troll).
At any rate, if you haven't researched autism, Asperger's, or autism spectrum disorders, I would strongly encourage you to do that. . .but if you don't trust the information on this site look at other sites, like awareness sites. So far I have found a lot of good information here.

(edited for *some* grammatical errors :P)

EQ=16/SQ=94 Extremely Systemizing
AQ=38 (2012) 40 (2013)

Quantum_Immortal
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jun 2012, 11:13 am

Katatonia wrote:
Lately I've been having some dramatic mood swings, I get sudden feelings of euphoria then I can become extremely mad. Just a moment ago I became extremely mad at a comment someone posted on YouTube and as I was walking out, I got very amused and laughed followed by being very happy and followed by extreme anger again. Is this related to autism or?

it could be an early onset of bipolar. The title of your post, sais dramatic mood swings. You are at about the right age. If its bipolar, its going to get worse, and you'll start doing things that you'll regret after words. Something like this usually run in the family.

If its developing bipolar, your euphorias will gradually become manias, and then fully fledged psychosis. On the other hand you'll get big depressions too.

Please, just keep in mind this possibility. I recommend you research the subject.

Katatonia

05 Jun 2012, 1:37 pm

drgoodietwoshoes wrote:
We all made assumptions based on the fact that most people on the spectrum have many of the same traits, but, while technically I can't speak for everyone, most of us also have heard the saying, "if you've met one person with AS, you've met one person with AS." which just means each of us is unique in our presentation of symptoms. . .maybe you don't stim, maybe you do it without knowing it like I did. I also suspect that most of the people on here have thoroughly researched what it means to have AS. . .which is also linked to another trait, which is that many of us tend to perseverate on things (which means to obsess--personally, I totally obsessed about AS for two weeks. I was trying to learn as much information as possible about autism and AS).
It doesn't really matter in the end. You posted about mood swings and autism. People made either incorrect or correct assumptions and gave responses that (most of them) were trying to be friendly and help you (sure the age thing could have been a little more tactful--but again most of us lack tact, and the ability to tell when others are being sarcastic, because most of us our truthful to a fault and expect everyone else to be too, I mean really for all anyone knows maybe you are trolling. . .I'm going to assume your not, because I wouldn't troll).
At any rate, if you haven't researched autism, Asperger's, or autism spectrum disorders, I would strongly encourage you to do that. . .but if you don't trust the information on this site look at other sites, like awareness sites. So far I have found a lot of good information here.

(edited for *some* grammatical errors :P)

Well, I don't think I stim. I move around a lot, sometimes squirm in my chair and shake my leg but I don't think that's related to autism. And I absolutely despise trolls.

Quantum_Immortal wrote:
it could be an early onset of bipolar. The title of your post, sais dramatic mood swings. You are at about the right age. If its bipolar, its going to get worse, and you'll start doing things that you'll regret after words. Something like this usually run in the family.

If its developing bipolar, your euphorias will gradually become manias, and then fully fledged psychosis. On the other hand you'll get big depressions too.

Please, just keep in mind this possibility. I recommend you research the subject.

That's what I'm afraid of, I've read up about bipolar and I'm starting to show symptoms but it doesn't run in the family. But what I'm more afraid of is schizophrenia, now that runs in the family. My uncle has it and so does my oldest brother, so I'm probably predisposed to it. Which I'm really scared of getting. Does bipolar have to run in the family for you to get it?

Quantum_Immortal
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jun 2012, 3:33 pm

Katatonia wrote:
That's what I'm afraid of, I've read up about bipolar and I'm starting to show symptoms but it doesn't run in the family. But what I'm more afraid of is schizophrenia, now that runs in the family. My uncle has it and so does my oldest brother, so I'm probably predisposed to it. Which I'm really scared of getting. Does bipolar have to run in the family for you to get it?

I've read that schizophrenia and bipolar have common genetic basis. There is also schizoafective disorder, that is basically schizophrenia and bipolar at the same time. There is also cyclothimia, that its like bipolar, but a lot milder. All this stuff, are really on a continuum. A brain damage can exacerbate the probabilities.

Since schizophrenia does run in your family, you should keep an open eye about how you evolve, in relation with all the stuff above. Also, these things start geting declared in young adulthood, meaning, your age.

These things, aren't a mater of certainty. Two families that don't have it could bring together genes that expresses the phenotype in the children. Its a mess.

I recommend you take advice from a professional. I only read some articles, i don't understand all this too deeply.

There is also a relevant forum here http://www.wrongplanet.net/forum35.html
You could ask more questions there.

Last edited by Quantum_Immortal on 05 Jun 2012, 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 3:36 pm

Everybody has mood swings, but some have more mood swings than others, and for some people they can affect the behaviour and the thoughts. It does with me anyway. My mood swings start to have an affect on the way I see the world sometimes. Can't explain it though.

unduki
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 3:39 pm

It sounds hormonal. Beware!

Quantum_Immortal
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jun 2012, 3:58 pm

unduki wrote:

It could be.

But with a brother and uncle with schizophrenia, he should be careful.

unduki
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 4:05 pm

Quantum_Immortal wrote:
unduki wrote:

It could be.

But with a brother and uncle with schizophrenia, he should be careful.

True. I think the stats on that are one child in four if a parent has schizophrenia, but nothing is certain, eh?

15 yrs. is a little young for onset. Most manifest just prior to 30 yrs.

Katatonia

05 Jun 2012, 5:06 pm

My oldest brother got it when he was 16, soon after my grandmother died. Does it mean I am predisposed though? Is there a chance I'm not?

unduki
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 7:12 pm

Katatonia wrote:
My oldest brother got it when he was 16, soon after my grandmother died. Does it mean I am predisposed though? Is there a chance I'm not?

There's a chance of everything. You should probably see a doctor before you decide. I really hope you're not schizophrenic because it's even more difficult to cope with than autism, but whatever it is, you'll deal with it the best you can, eh?