The thing I was dreading actually happened.

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Guineapigged
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Jun 2012, 2:10 pm

When I had my assessment, I told the psychiatrist that I was very embarrassed about my obsession and that she was the only person I had ever told. I assumed she would keep this information to herself and wouldn't feel the need to explicitly mention it in the report ... but I was wrong.

"She told me that she has an intense obsession with SpongeBob SquarePants."

8O

I am mortified ... people are going to want to read this report, like my parents, my doctor, everybody involved with my care. I kept my obsession secret for a reason and now everybody will know. I feel sick with anxiety just thinking about it.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 2:28 pm

Guineapigged wrote:
When I had my assessment, I told the psychiatrist that I was very embarrassed about my obsession and that she was the only person I had ever told. I assumed she would keep this information to herself and wouldn't feel the need to explicitly mention it in the report ... but I was wrong.

8O

I am mortified ... people are going to want to read this report, like my parents, my doctor, everybody involved with my care. I kept my obsession secret for a reason and now everybody will know. I feel sick with anxiety just thinking about it.

Sorry that makes you anxious...but I am curious as to why you want your special intrest to be secret. If any of those people would seriously judge you for watching one of the better shows on t.v(yes in my opinion its not a bad show at all) then I think they are the ones with the problem. I mean is this related to any past things, because I know sometimes I am embarrased about people knowing about some of my intrests....because when I was a kid people liked to make fun of things I was intrested in at me because they knew it would upset me.

But in reality there was nothing 'wrong' with any of my obsessions...and I've recovered some from that and now do not really care what people think of my intrests as much but I still get anxious about it sometimes.

Lexa
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jun 2012, 2:39 pm

Guineapigged wrote:

8O

Ask her to write another report changing that single detail and to destroy the other one.

Your mental and physical health is nobody's business but your own. You determine the path of your own life. Don't let anybody determine it for you.

Be assertive.

If you feel like the mention of that detail in the report will cause you significant discomfort/anxiety/stress at mulitple points in the future, then time to step in and ask for it to be removed.

Your prerogative.

I couldn't care less about procedure or usual practice, nor should you.

To get rather disproportionately dramatic about this - be the master of your own destiny, n'est-ce pas?

Pipilo
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Jun 2012, 2:41 pm

I would freak out if any of my secrets we're put in a report, also. It would feel like a major, major violation. I'm a privacy freak, so some of my secrets are secrets for no apparent reason, except that it feels really important that it be a secret. For this reason, I've never been on facebook or participated in any forum before this one. I wouldn't participate in this forum if it wasn't so durned helpful, so that the pros outweigh the cons.

But, if its any help at all, I think sponge-bob square pants is pretty cool. I like it that he's somebody's special interest. He's not a special interest of mine, but I've been known to quote him.

Candles15
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Jun 2012, 3:01 pm

hey, you should be proud! Only cool people are obsessed with Spongebob.

On a serious note though, your psychiatrist is only allowed to show your reports to the people you allow them to.

AspieWolf
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 3:08 pm

The reality is that you can trust no one. My motto is to trust nothing, trust no one, not even yourself.

Some of us just have a little more madness than others!

Omnicognic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 3:10 pm

Among all the physics, nature and some truly bizarre obsessions of my own, I too can relate to Spongebob (personally, I think Squidward is on the spectrum) Don't sweat it, Spongebob is a very popular show with all ages! :wink:

twich
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jun 2012, 4:33 pm

She can most definitely change the wording to something like "She told me she has intense obsessions with certain things," and like it's been said. As an adult, you have the right to decide who gets to see the report or not. If she's unwilling to change the report/ wording, she's not looking out for your mental well being and isn't the right fit for you.

But honestly, as long as what people enjoy isn't illegal or harmful (alcohol, drugs, beating people, etc.) then people should leave them well alone. Since when can adults no longer enjoy life? I think people who give others a hard time for their likes, are people who are jealous because they feel too self conscious to pursue their own things that make them happy.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 4:37 pm

It is true if you don't want certain information released and you're an adult you can tell her to change the wording, and you could even probably sue if she refuses(though paperwork is stressful I imagine and suing probably requires it). The only way she has the right to tell anyone anything is if you are planning to hurt yourself or others.

I mean I don't think there is anything wrong with spongebob but what you discuss with your therapist is supposed to be private...she can't release details like that unless you give her permission.

Sharkgirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jun 2012, 4:37 pm

Sponge bob is awesome. I am 37 yrs old hardly watch tv but cannot turn down an opportunity to watch spongbob if it's on. I think the message the show promotes is very positive. You can learn a lot from sponge bobs outlook on life. He may not be that smart but he is certainly very wise.

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 4:59 pm

Guineapigged wrote:

8O

Nothing wrong with Spongebob :)

Also, if you're 20, your parents won't automatically be allowed read your report unless you give them permission.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 5:01 pm

SpongeBob is an awesome show.

(Patrick is far too cool to exist.)

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

06 Jun 2012, 5:15 pm

Guineapigged wrote:

8O

Don't you have Dr patient confidentiality in the UK?

In any case liking Sponge Bob doesn't sound that awful to me. Anyone who will look down on you for that is not someone who's opinion should matter to you. I have never watched that show but I am 52 and still laugh at Bugs Bunny cartoons.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 5:26 pm

It doesn't sound awful or shameful to me, either. Plenty of adults 'round here like one kids' cartoon or another. My Little Pony is practically a fad at my school--and among the guys, on top of it. Rugrats was popular with adults when it was on TV in the late 90s.

But you have the right to keep that information private, and your doctor should respect that. Going back and asking for the information to be re-stated--perhaps as, "She told me she has an intense obsession with a favorite TV show" or "...has an intense special interest"--is something you should be allowed to do. Identifying the specific obsession doesn't need to be done for the purposes of the report. Tell the doctor that you'll be showing this report to educators, doctors, therapists, etc., and that you don't want to be made fun of for your hobby; so you want it re-printed without identifying the specifics of it. If it were just a report for your own information and to give to a therapist, that'd be okay; but since you're going to be using this pretty widely, I think it makes sense, if you're really that shy about your special interest. Personally, I wouldn't think it was a bad thing to be fascinated with, but it's your feelings on it that really matter.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 7:19 pm

Quote:
Only cool people are obsessed with Spongebob.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 7:22 pm

Well you don't have to show your parents the report if you don't want to. You're an adult. Don't be embarrassed about the doctor, they've seen just about everything. Also, Spongebob isn't such a bad obsession, there could be more embarrassing ones.

Last edited by lostgirl1986 on 06 Jun 2012, 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.