1985 most popular year for aspie births?

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

layla87
Toucan
Toucan

17 Jun 2012, 11:19 am

I read that somewhere.
I'm also obsessed with calendars, times, dates, clocks and a couple other aspie obsessions.

Sorry, I'm bored and can't think of a more interesting post, other than my polls/

bizboy1
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2012, 11:27 am

Maybe you can provide more content than "I read that somewhere." Maybe a link to the article, some overview of the article would help. Why do you think that 1985 is the most common year? Seems kind of ridiculous to me. And even if it's true doesn't mean it's accurate because we don't know who is and who isn't an aspie for sure and we don't have a complete record for the population.

Also if asperger's is on the rise, I would assume it's becoming more common every year or so. So maybe the data set analyzed would indicate 1985 but in reality it is much later. Just my thoughts.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2012, 11:39 am

That's interesting. I was born in 1986, close enough. Maybe it was something in the air of the 80's. :wink: I was thinking Chernobyl air that made it's way over to Canada. Just kidding

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2012, 11:40 am

Well damn I guess I was 4 years late...

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2012, 11:48 am

I was born that year.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

poppyfields
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jun 2012, 11:53 am

Doubtful. I think it may seem that way due to the fact the diagnosis was starting to be applied when 85'ers were children.

bizboy1
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2012, 11:54 am

poppyfields wrote:
Doubtful. I think it may seem that way due to the fact the diagnosis was starting to be applied when 85'ers were children.

Good insight. If true, it shows how people are susceptible to erroneous conclusions.

bnky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Jun 2012, 11:57 am

bizboy1 and poppyfields have solved it :wink:

CuriousKitten
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Jun 2012, 12:13 pm

Asperger's was first added to the psych playbook in 1994, when those born in 1985 were 9. Around what age do most Aspies start to run into sufficient difficulty that they require help?

I can easily see 1985 as a believable statistical leading edge, but in reality not meaningful outside of pure statistics

SilkySifaka
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2012, 12:26 pm

lostgirl1986 wrote:
That's interesting. I was born in 1986, close enough. Maybe it was something in the air of the 80's. :wink: I was thinking Chernobyl air that made it's way over to Canada. Just kidding

You say that as a joke, but at one stage my Mum had convinced herself that I was 'different' because she took me out in the push-chair the day after Chernobyl! I was born in 1985.

Quantum_Immortal
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jun 2012, 2:59 pm

lostgirl1986 wrote:

You stole my line :)

I was 3 years before Chernobyl. So, i must be the cause of Chernobyl. :)

again_with_this
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2012, 3:06 pm

CuriousKitten wrote:
Asperger's was first added to the psych playbook in 1994, when those born in 1985 were 9. Around what age do most Aspies start to run into sufficient difficulty that they require help?

I can easily see 1985 as a believable statistical leading edge, but in reality not meaningful outside of pure statistics

Actually, I don't believe it was very common in 1994 to apply a diagnosis of Asperger's. At that time, clinicians actively applying that diagnosis were pioneers.

What it may be is that those born in the 1980s were the last generation to not really be diagnosed with Asperger's in childhood, but the first to be able to go onto a computer in their young adulthood when they found themselves trailing behind their peers, or looking for explanations as to why they seemed so different from others.

I'm not sure if I have it or not, and I'd never heard of it until a few years ago when I was looking for answers about myself online, and the term kept popping up. I was born in 1983, for the record.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2012, 3:10 pm

I was born in 1982.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2012, 3:31 pm

SilkySifaka wrote:
lostgirl1986 wrote:

You say that as a joke, but at one stage my Mum had convinced herself that I was 'different' because she took me out in the push-chair the day after Chernobyl! I was born in 1985.

Yeah my mum was pregnant with me when it happened.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2012, 3:37 pm

again_with_this wrote:
CuriousKitten wrote:

Actually, I don't believe it was very common in 1994 to apply a diagnosis of Asperger's. At that time, clinicians actively applying that diagnosis were pioneers.

What it may be is that those born in the 1980s were the last generation to not really be diagnosed with Asperger's in childhood, but the first to be able to go onto a computer in their young adulthood when they found themselves trailing behind their peers, or looking for explanations as to why they seemed so different from others.

I'm not sure if I have it or not, and I'd never heard of it until a few years ago when I was looking for answers about myself online, and the term kept popping up. I was born in 1983, for the record.

Mmm, yes I'm thinking back to when I was a child. I had obvious symptoms of AS during my childhood in school from 1990-2005. It wasn't very popular back then and I'm guessing maybe different parts of the world were easier to get a diagnosis than others. Also I've heard that way more boys got diagnosed than girls, especially in the early 90's. My ex boyfriend's brother has AS but they didn't know what was wrong with him here until the family moved to Germany in the early 90's where he got diagnosed. I think if I would have gone to school now I might have gotten a diagnosis but now instead I'm stuck looking back at my school years as an adult and trying to cope with life without a diagnosis without support. I'm going to my psychiatrist soon, hopefully she can help me out.

TheTigress
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jun 2012, 4:35 pm

I was born in 1985. Maybe there is some truth to this. 8O