Why does this happen to people on the spectrum!

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 8:23 am

Why is it that prior to puberty some people with apserges and Hight functionig autism tend to be quiet and smiley and yet once they hit puberty they become much more agressive?

This defo applies too me because since 13 years of age i have been a monster and still continue to have these problems now at aged 22. Bascially even in my early 20's i am still compunded with the same emotional issues that i did in my teens and if anything my agression and emotinal control has gotten worse compared too when i was 14 years old. 8O

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 9:02 am

The opposite happened to me. Prior to 13 I was very violent, and afterward not violent at all.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 9:10 am

Guess i have had worse luck than you then. the older i get the more violent and agressive i seem too become

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 9:16 am

Because hormones.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 9:35 am

Jamesy wrote:
Why is it that prior too puberty some people with apserges and Hight functionig autism tend too be quiet and smiley and yet once they hit puberty they become much more agressive?

This defo applies too me because since 13 years of age i have been a monster and still continue too have these problems now at aged 22. Bascially even in my early 20's i am still compunded with the same emotional issues that i did in my teens and if anything my agression and emotinal control has gotten worse compared too when i was 14 years old. 8O

I didn't really become more aggressive after hitting puberty, I became more depressed and anxious...which lead to some not so great things. Though when I was 16 16 crap happened at my school and I ended up with PTSD, and that one does come with more aggressiveness, which I hate because I am pretty much the opposite of agressive, and if anything it is gotten worse my family seems to want me to be hopeful and optimistic about things since I'm only 22 and so intelligent(which is debatable I graduated highschool, but I haven't figured out a way to put any of my knowledge to use so I question if it's even there). So they say things like 'oh you have so much life ahead of you it will get better.' and I try really hard to play along but think to myself 'great :roll: 20, or more years of this.' and then I have the urge to do harmful things like drink too much. So I don't really know what to do with feeling like that or how to deal with it.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 9:40 am

"Because hormones".

But i am 22 and shoulden't my hormones be playing down by now?

EMTkid
Toucan
Toucan

15 Jun 2012, 9:52 am

Jamesy wrote:
"Because hormones".

Nope. Hormones just start at puberty. They find balance, but are still at much higher levels than before puberty.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 10:10 am

I would say it's because you become an adult after puberty and are expected to enter the competitive arena that is adulthood and as a result life becomes a lot more stressful as you are being expected to compete with all the other adults. As a child/up to puberty you aren't really 'in the game' - you're just being prepared for it.

That's my take on it - I found life a hell of a lot better as a child than as an adult - it's like I was two completely different people; one normal and generally accepted by society and the other not. I think it's the stark contrast that has messed my mind up so much.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 10:33 am

Part of it is hormones. Part is not being able to talk about your feelings. It may come out as being destructive or violent, especially if you are hyper-emotional. Emotions can be much biger than words, but try to talk about them anyway.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 10:38 am

It happens to most boys, I'd imagine. The difference is that most learn pretty quickly when it's appropriate and inappropriate to be violent or physical and are able to control themselves.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 10:38 am

nessa238 wrote:
I would say it's because you become an adult after puberty and are expected to enter the competitive arena that is adulthood and as a result life becomes a lot more stressful as you are being expected to compete with all the other adults. As a child/up to puberty you aren't really 'in the game' - you're just being prepared for it.

That's my take on it - I found life a hell of a lot better as a child than as an adult - it's like I was two completely different people; one normal and generally accepted by society and the other not. I think it's the stark contrast that has messed my mind up so much.

Even though I was even unhappy as a child, I have to admit it was better than this. I simply can't seem to play 'the game.' and when they say 'welcome to the machine.' I'm thinking ' 8O get the hell away from me!' and I try and find reasons to get away from them and express it more politely verbally than I am thinking.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 10:43 am

so will my hormones ever stabalize over time?

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 10:46 am

Jamesy wrote:
Why is it that prior to puberty some people with apserges and Hight functionig autism tend to be quiet and smiley and yet once they hit puberty they become much more agressive?

This defo applies too me because since 13 years of age i have been a monster and still continue to have these problems now at aged 22. Bascially even in my early 20's i am still compunded with the same emotional issues that i did in my teens and if anything my agression and emotinal control has gotten worse compared too when i was 14 years old. 8O

I suspect problems in social interaction and communication along with behavioral issues will have an affect on Emotional development( the presence of, degree of intensity, age appropriateness, impulse control, etc).

As noted in this thread, there are probably added stressors in your particular case (transitioning from childhood to adulthood) that exacerbated your situation.

*just an opinion and should be taken as such.

TheSunAlsoRises

Last edited by TheSunAlsoRises on 15 Jun 2012, 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 10:49 am

Jamesy wrote:
"Because hormones".

Your body is still going through noticeable changes until you're 25. A lot of people forget this continues after 18, but truthfully, 25 is really when you tend to see noticeable changes with moods stabilizing.

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 10:57 am

then.....again

It could be simply THAT like everyone else in the world; you're facing a particular trying period in
your life. This is your period of difficulty......possibly made more trying by other factors.

TheSunAlsoRises

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 11:37 am

It can happen to anybody. My brother was a quiet, placid toddler, and a happy child, then when he hit puberty he turned into a surly monster, and he's in his mid 20s now and still hasn't changed much.

I've always been a grouchy person. I was average as a toddler, but after I was about 6 or so I always found something to complain about, I demanded my mum all the time, I got the hump all the time, and my mum always said that I would be able to get on with other children a lot better if I behaved more calmly and was more happier. And I don't think I've ever met a person who hasn't said ''stop moaning'' at least once to me (the words ''stop moaning'' have been reduced since I got to about 18 or so because I've learnt to not moan so much, but when I was a child I was not happy and smiley).

When I hit puberty I was just awkward and embarrassing to be with out in public, but I outgrew that stage very quickly, thankfully.