Are you able to withstand loneliness?

Page 2 of 5 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2012, 12:32 am

One of the great gifts I have is being able to be alone and keep myself entertained. My husband prefers to be alone now due to the pain he is in and it doesn't bother me and I used to not be with him anyway when he be in the other room. Now I just go in the bedroom to be with him for a few minutes and then I leave.

But I like being with my family when they come to visit. I think this is just something learned due to not having anyone to play with in 6th grade because I did not go to school for a while that year. But I remember the feelings of lonesomeness and I hated it. Then when I left high school, I started to feel that way again even though I liked being alone but I wanted a partner, someone who I can go out with when I go to places. I wanted a relationship. Now I don't feel that way anymore.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2012, 1:08 am

I don't get lonely.

My mother told me I'd be the only person she's known who wouldn't lose their mind with utter isolation.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

23 Jun 2012, 1:09 am

That reminds me. My mother says I was more social as a child, but I should note that I was often forced to leave my room where I was quite content, thankyouverymuch, because my parents thought I should get out more.

Jasmine90
Toucan
Toucan

23 Jun 2012, 1:17 am

I get more attached to objects/ interests/ animals, I rarely have time to feel lonely.
The only times I feel lonely is when I see a close group of friends together and sometimes crave that interaction.

Mostly I'm just stuck in my own world, and I have yet to meet a person who can match the feeling of being in my own world.

Moondust
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2012, 6:49 am

I don't have any family or friends, so for me loneliness is not about boredom, it's about lack of sharing, lack of help, lack of anyone to give to and receive from. I'm NEVER bored, but I live a very restricted life when there's no one I can count on for the tiniest help (I care for stray cats, so that covers my need to give).

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2012, 9:33 am

Moondust wrote:
I don't have any family or friends, so for me loneliness is not about boredom, it's about lack of sharing, lack of help, lack of anyone to give to and receive from. I'm NEVER bored, but I live a very restricted life when there's no one I can count on for the tiniest help (I care for stray cats, so that covers my need to give).

Yes, I do miss the opportunity to share & have stimulating conversation about mutual interests sometimes. I have found that as I am enrolled in an ongoing class that meets once a week, it satisfies my need for that... I can take some cookies to share & we talk about the class subject. A book group or something might also work. Something that if you don't feel like going to that meeting, it's no big deal.

Marcustwelve
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

23 Jun 2012, 10:40 am

I don't feel lonely in my own company but not having companionship in my life to share things makes me feel very lonely and as I get older the worse it gets.

Siras
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Jun 2012, 12:48 pm

I don't feel lonely. I don't have any friends, but I have no wish to talk to anyone anyway and I'm content being alone. I can get human interaction online through a means that I'm much more comfortable with than talking face to face with someone.

The only exception to this is during a depressive episode. When I'm in a "wallow in self-pity" mode I'll be very lonely and wish for company even though I still don't want to actually interact with anyone. It's just a more abstract pining after something I don't have.

Also I kind of wish I had a relationship but I don't really see how that could happen with the way I am. I'm not really bothered by it, it's just something I occasionally think about.

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2012, 1:05 pm

Verdandi wrote:
That reminds me. My mother says I was more social as a child, but I should note that I was often forced to leave my room where I was quite content, thankyouverymuch, because my parents thought I should get out more.

Ugh... I have a lot of experience with this. My mother would force me to go outside when I REALLY did not want to because I "didn't go out" enough and I "needed to play with other kids." Other kids, for the most part (especially in the area where I lived) only caused me trouble. I also had many problems with being outside (and still do) due to sensory issues from multiple senses - I was bothered by the brightness, the temperature, noises going on, other things. I would often just sit on the porch when she locked me out of the house.

Rebel_Nowe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2012, 1:28 pm

I'm really good at dealing with loneliness. While growing up, I had to be. I was raised at the end of a long dirt road in the middle of the woods in a metropolitan area that absolutely required driving to get anywhere outside of a direct neighborhood. I had two kids growing up who lived at a reasonable distance to interact with regularly. One was a girl who was too old to be long term friends once we both started getting older. The other wasn't culturally or intellectually my peer in any way. That wasn't so important once his father went off the deep end with serious drugs and was arrested, disappearing that whole family. Once my sisters were born, my mother and stepfather spent very little effort trying to connect with me in any real way. I was alone with my imagination and books for a lot of my childhood. I spent enough time lonely to become significantly less prone to loneliness. I learned to rather enjoy it, though, the loneliness itself. I read Louis Lamour and the Dark Tower series and romanticized it. It has been a difficulty for me, but has become a strength I have a degree of attachment to and affection for.

Now even loneliness seems like a sweet fever dream. I was lied to about the available living situation when moving across the country to find a better economy with jobs available that don't have hundreds of applicants. I currently live (if you can call it that) in my chain smoking father in law's living room that he and his wife long ago abandoned to my wife's stepmother's mean, senile mother. We were told the trailer one over would be in livable condition when we got here. It had ants in the walls, water damage and no power or water.

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2012, 1:50 pm

It depends. A lot of the times I find myself just wishing that people would leave me alone for a day. However, I can also be around a bunch of people I know and feel totally alone and isolated. It's hard for me to find people who share my love of the technical and so that tends to make me very lonely. I also have never known what it is like to share romantic love with another and have only known rejection, so that too makes me lonely. I do need people in my life, but many times it seems like I need them to a lesser extent than would be considered normal. I guess the best way to sum it up would be to say that it's complicated and leave it at that.

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2012, 2:25 pm

Rebel_Nowe wrote:
Now even loneliness seems like a sweet fever dream. I was lied to about the available living situation when moving across the country to find a better economy with jobs available that don't have hundreds of applicants. I currently live (if you can call it that) in my chain smoking father in law's living room that he and his wife long ago abandoned to my wife's stepmother's mean, senile mother. We were told the trailer one over would be in livable condition when we got here. It had ants in the walls, water damage and no power or water.

Oh dear god, I hope you get out of that situation soon! :(

ogional
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jun 2012, 9:22 am

I'm always alone cause I can only make small talk I can't keep a conversation going. When I try to talk no body seems to want to include me in a conversation I try to join in to at least try to be sociable but I'm not successful and usually rejected. I always have to try to jump in but they never listen and just ignore what i have to say. I want to talk/conversation but I can't talk other than responding to a need or want. I want to talk to this girl but all I say is good morning and I have nothing else to say even if I have a topic I can't make something out of it. Like anime I can't even talk about anime even though its a topic and my obsessions. I've been lonely my whole life been rejected my whole life but I have learned to deal with it even though it does hurt from time to time.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

25 Jun 2012, 9:42 am

Atomsk wrote:
Verdandi wrote:

Ugh... I have a lot of experience with this. My mother would force me to go outside when I REALLY did not want to because I "didn't go out" enough and I "needed to play with other kids." Other kids, for the most part (especially in the area where I lived) only caused me trouble. I also had many problems with being outside (and still do) due to sensory issues from multiple senses - I was bothered by the brightness, the temperature, noises going on, other things. I would often just sit on the porch when she locked me out of the house.

I preferred to find a shady spot to read. Sometimes I'd do other things. It's not like I wasn't outside a lot anyway - I had to walk to and from school, for example. On weekends I usually visited my favorite hobby store. I remember once wandering off to a park and getting into a lot of trouble.

But if I just wanted to be alone and in my room and avoid people, I'd get the whole "You need to spend more time outside!" I'd also get yelled at for getting sunburned after being sent outside against my will.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2012, 10:15 am

I used to get these feelings of panic and my activities would go round in ever-decreasing circles when I was alone for a long time.

But recently I've started to feel more comfy on my own. Recent relationships have been very difficult for me and I think I want to develop my psychometric skills before contemplating any more of that I'd rather be a bit lonely for a while than feel anxiety, guilt and harrassment. Friendships - I haven't bothered much wth those either recently.......I seem perfectly capable of engaging with folks and the banter seems to work, I don't feel particularly unattractive sexually or socially. WP is probably very important to me at the moment because I don't have much else social going on in my life.

SUMMARY: Yes.

YellowBanana
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2012, 10:23 am

What does it feel like to be lonely? I don't know if I can withstand loneliness because I'm not exactly sure what it feels like or if I've ever experienced it.