Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Pokelover14
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Jun 2012, 12:22 am

Does anyone think that they have a better connection with animals then people. I feel so calm with a dog to hug then a person. Why is this?

SilkySifaka
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2012, 5:00 am

I don't know why it is, but I feel the same. Other humans (even the ones I love) can be quite tiring, but with animals I never feel tired just relaxed and happy.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

24 Jun 2012, 6:40 am

I've always felt animals were easier for me to deal with than people.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2012, 7:29 am

Chief Sealth of the Duwamish Indians said " What is man without the beasts? if all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit, for whatever happens to the beasts also happens to man.All things are connected. whatever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the earth."If I didn't have my animal friends I would feel great loneliness.I really like the creatures that most people are afraid of the reptiles.I would rather have a rattlesnake in my house than a stranger.I know what the snake will do,I'm just not sure about humans.I empathize with the reptiles,most people don,t like them because of fear and they don,t understand them.Where I live there are a lot of commercial poultry houses,it is then cruelest thing you could ever imagine.When I get behind a truck taking them to be killed I think that they never even had one good day and on the way to be slaughtered they see everything they missed in life,If the situation were reversed would the chickens and turkeys treat us the way we treat them? I don't think so.In the movie The day the earth stood still I was kinda sorry that humankind got a second chance.

humanhatred
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2012, 10:09 am

I do not really like people to be honest, I prefer to be in the company of my pet cat. Because of this, there is a possibility that when my cat dies, the grief will be the same or even worse as losing a parent. If given a choose to save my pet cat or a human I would save my pet cat. My pet cat is part of my life, the stranger is not. That is how bad my dislike of humans can get. Good to know my pet cat does not judge, unlike some humans who do.:roll:

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2012, 10:51 am

I think the only living thing I have ever loved in my life was my pet hamster that I had as a child.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2012, 11:16 am

I can't own a pet due to allergies but have always loved animals, especially dogs and cats. As for humans, I love being around young children and can get along great with most seniors but it is so difficult to relate to anyone within 10 years of my age. I feel like I can be myself around pets but humans are always getting the wrong idea (usually the worst possible idea) about everything I say and do.

To be honest, the main reason why I am so popular at work is because everyone sees how children react around me. I always joke that they are the only ones I'm able to fool :lol:

RadicalDreamers
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2012, 11:20 am

A very important question. It appears to me that it would depend on the animal and it would also depend on the person. From what I have noted, some animals may seem more impartial than others. This involves varying energetic factors. Cats and dogs for instance may be easier to tell. Animals have an uncanny ability to tell where people are at. They pick up on the intangible and can read people almost effortlessly.

Periodically, I have had visits from all kinds of animals behind the house. From cardinals looking into the window, etc. (I don’t normally see those birds very often where I live) Also, cats of all colors have been seen staring into the house and wanting to get in through the sliding glass door. The most bizarre occurrence was even at one point, I saw a snake looking into the same window. That only happened once and I can consider that very rare. It is highly unlikely that will be witnessed again. I don’t understand any of this and would like to know what it all means…Sounds insane right? Well, it all happened. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I was not even sure if I wanted to share all of that, but this is an interesting and important topic and it resonated with me so I wanted to participate. Animals have always really liked me and continue to. That I know very well. The feeling is quite mutual. I respect animals as I respect nature in its entirety. As for people, it can be more complicated but I do like to be fair. It’s important to try. Back when I was in my 20's I did not like people at all really. Now that I am 30 I find it is a bit different, for me at least. If more people gave others a chance to truly get to know them better, they might surprise themselves.

I prefer to dispense with judgments as best as I can because people are not perfect. Animals are innocent in the sense that they do not exactly have to contend with egoic judgments, and it would appear that they do not have to struggle with these things day to day. While many people (NT) and otherwise, from that other world I know tend to be more harsh, less understanding, and overly judgmental. I simply continue to progress despite opinions from those who in many if not all cases cannot seem to ever understand. So be it.

Nature is an amazing reflection of animated creativity. It is a living gift which is both incredible to observe as it is to directly interact with.

Alfonso12345
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Jun 2012, 12:46 pm

I like animals better than people, but sometimes even animals irritate me as much as most people.

Moondust
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2012, 1:01 pm

Cats are manipulative, pampered hedonists. At this precise moment, just back from work, I want to continue sitting with the internet and my chocolate bar, yet I can't bear the screams from the 15 strays downstairs in the park reminding me it's time for their dinner. And my 3 house cats didn't even let me go to the toilet, I had to take them downstairs to the park immediately or else they'd kill each other just to punish me. And God forbid I give the strays just food and no goodies, then all hell hangs loose. You can tell a human to go to h**, but a cat doesn't understand or care, so you're stuck with it.

(Just kidding, caring for homeless cats was intended to save them, and they ended up saving me - my sanity and my will to live. But oh boy are they demanding!).

spock1969
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Jun 2012, 7:47 pm

I much prefer cats to humans (in general, excepting family and friends). Cats, in fact, may qualify as a "special interest" of mine. I find dogs nearly as annoying as people -- slobbering, slavering, emotional pack animals, much like humans. Cats seem much more Aspie-like, come to think of it. For one thing, they avoid eye contact. The connection between autistic folk and cats might a fertile topic for another poll.

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2012, 8:30 pm

I prefer animals to people, most especially cats. I like dogs, too. I'm very upset about Lonesome George's death this morning.

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2012, 8:35 pm

Heh, I prefer cats to people, including family. We can just hang out with no need for words.

I think part of is the lack of guile and deceit (though they can be a little manipulative, but that could qualify as "communication"). I can also read cats' non-verbals. I think it's not that ASD people can't read any non-verbal signals, but rather can't read the human layer of non-verbal signals on top of people's animal level non-verbal signals.

My current cat has gone missing (3 days, so far), and it's worrying me. :(

Alfonso12345
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Jun 2012, 10:39 pm

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
My current cat has gone missing (3 days, so far), and it's worrying me. :(

I hope you find your cat soon.

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2012, 10:44 pm

I love to 'interpret' my pets' non verbal communications. They're much simpler than people. A frown from a person can mean who knows how many things, and then how are you going to know exactly what's bothering them? With my pets, I simply think logically. I find it easier to empathise with animals and put myself in their place.

I hope you find your kitty soon.

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2012, 10:51 pm

^ Thanks, Persian and Alfonso.