Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

alexi
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jul 2012, 7:10 am

Does anyone know what kind of service would help me to do practical tasks that I find extremely difficult like - find a house to live in; get utilities connected; fill out 100 pages of paperwork to apply for a disability payment, etc. My relationship has just ended and I am faced with a mountain of tasks that I am overwhelmed by. My organisational and coping skills are terrible. I am from Australia, so I am looking more for the title of what kind of person would provide this, rather than a specific service as such. Is this the kind of thing that a social worker does?

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2012, 10:08 am

My therapist is a social worker & she would help me figure out how to do this sort of thing. I'm in the US.

Also, friends can help w/some of the things, like house hunting. 'Net research can help w/that, too.

I'm currently wanting to get an addition on my house. I have no idea how to do it. I realized a friend of mine is a retired contractor. I can ask him what to do first, second, & third. He's retired & lives in another town, so he has no personal interest profiting from the info. Another friend knows a contractor who does good work & is reasonably priced

And I can show my appreciation through sharing some of my home made jellies & garden produce. Always find an appropriate way to express your appreciation when a friend helps out.

AspieSW
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Jul 2012, 3:15 pm

Not really a social work role, well not in UK but they would advise.and refer you on or send info as its usually a.mental.health type charity or organisation that would help with that like an advocacy service. Give local social services a call.or Google mental health charities.local x

Do know how you feel though, I found it so so much so prioritise what needs to be done first ie housing then utilities and things are a lot easier than you expect.