what do you understand NT but not Aspie

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Quinntilda
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Jul 2012, 8:09 pm

What is something you understand that is done only bY NT peolpe and not by Aspie people.

Gazelle
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2012, 8:44 pm

Communicate easily with non-verbal cues understood intuitively. The majority of aspies do not do this intuitively.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2012, 8:48 pm

Not that we can't learn. As the most striking example, you might have someone who's autistic with mild social symptoms, severe language and behaviors/interests symptoms, and their social symptoms vanish when they get to adulthood, leaving them with PDD-NOS and very little impairment in reading non-verbals despite their obvious autism.

I think the main difference between NTs and autistics is more of a difference in which things you naturally learn best, a continuum rather than a yes/no thing. Comparing autistic to NT is more like comparing a fast runner to a slow runner; not so much like comparing somebody who can't run to somebody who can.

NTs just have an easier time learning some things, just like non-dyslexic people have an easier time learning to read.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

again_with_this
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2012, 9:43 pm

Hmm, this question looks awfully familiar. Where have I seen this before?

Oh yeah: http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt201862.html

ghostar
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Jul 2012, 11:11 pm

Lie easily and without guilt. Not all NTs can do this, but the dangerous ones seem to have the ability. [shudders at the thought] :?

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2012, 11:40 pm

again_with_this wrote:

The one in this thread is a bit different.

Yours was about what one understands about NT's, but does not truly understand.

This one is about things that NT's can do that autistic people cannot or with which we have difficulty.

Although both are similar they are a bit different. I myself think it's nice to have a fresher thread on the issue - I tend to stop checking threads after they get 3-5 pages, unless I'm really involved in it or the topic seems to really get my attention.

again_with_this
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2012, 11:48 pm

Atomsk wrote:
again_with_this wrote:

This one is about things that NT's can do that autistic people cannot or with which we have difficulty.

Although both are similar they are a bit different. I myself think it's nice to have a fresher thread on the issue - I tend to stop checking threads after they get 3-5 pages, unless I'm really involved in it or the topic seems to really get my attention.

So I guess my thread didn't captivate you. :cry:

Then again, you didn't even understand it right away.

But OK, then. What's your answer to this thread?

Quinntilda
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Jul 2012, 8:40 am

I just saw that one I should have worded this one differently I will do that.

Quinntilda
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Jul 2012, 8:43 am

again_with_this wrote:
Atomsk wrote:
again_with_this wrote:

So I guess my thread didn't captivate you. :cry:

Then again, you didn't even understand it right away.

But OK, then. What's your answer to this thread?

I didn't realy see that one but I will change the question so I its different from the other one

Gazelle
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2012, 5:17 pm

[quote="Callista"]Not that we can't learn. As the most striking example, you might have someone who's autistic with mild social symptoms, severe language and behaviors/interests symptoms, and their social symptoms vanish when they get to adulthood, leaving them with PDD-NOS and very little impairment in reading non-verbals despite their obvious autism.

I think the main difference between NTs and autistics is more of a difference in which things you naturally learn best, a continuum rather than a yes/no thing. Comparing autistic to NT is more like comparing a fast runner to a slow runner; not so much like comparing somebody who can't run to somebody who can.

NTs just have an easier time learning some things, just like non-dyslexic people have an easier time learning to read.[/quote

Those are good points you have made and an interesting analogy. It seems from what I have learned the past 4 months since I have come to learn I am NLD/ASD/PDD-NOS possibly, that persons with ASD can sometimes learn certain things easier than NT's. So it is interesting and it does help to focus on the positives someone can do rather than not do. The whole misreading non-verbal cues thing is a mystery to me because most of my life I thought I could do that and did not realize my shyness and social anxiety were somewhat related to NLD/ASD.