Did you ride the short bus in school?

Page 3 of 6 [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Jul 2012, 11:23 am

Yes.. (11th grade only) LAUSD Bus #3749. Driver was Ms. Dorothy Robinson.

Charles

Dizzee
Toucan
Toucan

09 Jul 2012, 11:31 am

Yes, everyone were staring at me like a freak.

ADoyle90815
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jul 2012, 1:49 pm

Yes, but that's because until I was about 7 or so, I went to a school for children with disabilities, but when I started going to regular schools after that, I was able to walk as we generally lived near a school. The only time my mom drove me to school was when I went to high school, and that was only because it was on her way to the middle school where she worked as a teacher. If I didn't have band after school, I walked home. When I did have practice, I got picked up by one of my parents.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 4:13 pm

I rode it for two years in Middle School and it was the closest I have ever been to Hell. It was one of the absolute most unpleasant expiriences of my entire life and I still get nightmares involving it from time to time.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 5:01 pm

Nope,the long bus,it was hell on four wheels during grade school.In high school
I became better at not drawing attention to myself.sort of like a chameleon,I just tried to blend in.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 5:06 pm

I was only on the normal school bus 2 years. Before that I lived close to my school and walked there and the year before I started taking the short bus there was a city bus route that picked up and dropped off the middle and high school kids. We had to buy bus tokens for it.

The normal bus was awful. It was crowded and noisy and I once got suspended for a few days from it for defending myself against a bully. Then the kids all did the same thing to me that I did to defend myself and all got away with it.

Mnby
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Sep 2012, 9:57 am

Yes all though out school until high school. I walked because I live across the street from it.

limping2victory
Raven
Raven

28 Sep 2012, 11:00 am

No. I walked to school until about 11th grade when I was bused to another school. Then I rode a regular yellow bus then eventually had to catch two city busses to and from school. Hated it.

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2012, 11:52 am

In my earliest school years (while my parents were goin thru their divorce and were trying to find a preschool/kindergarten settng that didn't terrify me) my parents would drive me to school, and when I transferred to a private Catholic school when I was 9, I usually walked to school with my dad (the school was only a few minutes away from the house - and BTW, I'm not actually Catholic). In 7th - 8th grade, I walked home from school by myself.

When I started high school, my parents drove me, and sometimes I carpooled with someone on the way home.

I did have to ride a short bus when my mom sent me to this "social skills" camp every day for three weeks in the summer of 2006. I hated the camp and hated the bus. On the first day when I got on the bus, I chose a seat in the back and one of the aides actually followed me back there. She wanted to buckle my seat belt for me and I told her I could do it myself. I was more than a little offended by that.

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2012, 12:01 pm

LtlPinkCoupe wrote:
On the first day when I got on the bus, I chose a seat in the back and one of the aides actually followed me back there. She wanted to buckle my seat belt for me and I told her I could do it myself. I was more than a little offended by that.

I always liked to sit all the way in the back on the left side. Back when I was younger I don't think they even had seatbelts on schoolbuses and if they did no one wore them. The aides on the buses I was on never even did anything and one year even let the kids (middle school aged) smoke on the bus.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2012, 1:28 pm

Yes, from like kindergarten or 1st grade through 7th grade.

jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2013, 11:45 pm

yes until now when my high school is only a little walk and across the street.

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2013, 11:54 pm

Nope, but if I could have I might have welcomed the escape from the bullies.

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2013, 12:19 am

I never road anything but a short bus. In elementary school it was more of a van and I was the only passenger.

I kept protesting and I asked my parents several times if I could ride with everybody else but they said no. I didn't mind being exempt from French and cursive writing. I understood the reasoning behind it. I didn't mind going to a separate room during those classes. What was I going to do in a class I wasn't supposed to be taking? I was glad that I was still taking many of the classes other kids were. I took standard math, english, geography, and all the courses I loved.

The one thing I didn't see the point of was the special bus. I didn't see why I needed it. I didn't feel like I would have any problems on the longer bus.

hblu1992
Raven
Raven

01 Feb 2013, 2:57 am

last 2 years of high school wish it was sooner though.I hated the first 2.

Drebi
Raven
Raven

01 Feb 2013, 5:48 am

No, I did not. During Elementary School, I rode the long bus to and from. During Middle School, my grandmother drove me to and I alternated between riding the long bus and walking from. During High School, I alternated between my grandmother driving me and walking to and walking from. I only ever rode the short bus a few times and that was because I was a tutor for awhile and during that time the staff supervisor was gone for some reason, so I volunteered to help. I almost always tested above average academically and attended either regular or gifted classes (despite the difficulties dyslexia gave me) and although I was introverted and given the labels of "shy" and "weird", my social impairments apparently weren't severe enough to warrant being placed in Special Education classes (or riding the short bus). So, my choice was always either ride the long bus, get driven by Granny, or walk. :roll: