Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

How are you at math?
I'm Very good at math and/or I can answer any math problem 47%  47%  [ 34 ]
I'm average at math, I passed math classes in school like "normal people" 18%  18%  [ 13 ]
I'm terrible at math 18%  18%  [ 13 ]
I have a Math disability 18%  18%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 73

Dirtdigger
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 6:40 pm

I made D's in math. But, since I've gotten out of school I seem to be better at it now.

Blownmind
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 6:56 pm

It's hard to answer really. I didn't have to put any effort into it until I were 16 years old, and got top score on test. But after that point I had to put alot of effort into it to keep up. I managed a Bachelor degree, but I am not sure if I could do the math on a Masters degree level.

idratherbeatree
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jul 2012, 7:23 pm

I have dyscalculia, however while I can't work with numbers, the theory and idea behind it is very easy to me.

RockDrummer616
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 7:25 pm

I am very good at math. I'm taking Differential Equations in the fall. Last year I took Calculus 2 and Linear Algebra and I didn't think either one was very hard.

Colinn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 7:35 pm

I would of liked another option as I don't consider myself very good or average at math. I voted average because I wouldn't be much use with advanced math, but deal with everyday math problems very well.

Hiddencreations
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Jul 2012, 7:37 pm

I'm good at math, I just don't enjoy it. Till the 5th grade I was terrible at math mainly because I didn't understand double digit subtraction with regrouping that was taught in second grade. But once I learned that aspect I've been in advanced math taking classes that dabble in Linear Algebra. I lost my interest in math the last year of high school. I do like differentials, integrals, and some parts of multivariable calc.

theWanderer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 8:05 pm

I'm good at it - but I'm hyperlexic and using numbers instead of words makes my mind feel as if it's in a straitjacket...

===================
In the country of the blind, the one eyed man - would be diagnosed with a psychological disorder

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 8:22 pm

I'm terrible at math. Math was my worst subject in high school.

corvuscorax
Toucan
Toucan

07 Jul 2012, 8:25 pm

Depends. I was really good with trigonometry but hated Statistics and I was so-so in calculus. Everything before was pretty easy.

I was ahead one year of most students but when I took Stats, I was in the same grade as most students taking the course (it was forced because I had finished the math curriculum but they said I needed to take a math class in my senior year... I know, stupid, innit?)

Didgeeeee
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Jul 2012, 9:26 pm

My math skills are above average, but not exceptional. In grade school, I did really well. When I started high school, I had a lot of social and self-esteem problems, that interfered with class work and attendance. My average dropped by 30%. I nearly failed grade 10 math. In grade 11, I rediscovered the ability. The teacher made the class interesting and fun. She knew how to explain concepts that challenged most students. I finished the class with an above average mark and a new interest in geometry and algebra.

zxy3cpn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 6:33 am

I don't think I'm particularly great at maths, but I was able to do the stuff I needed to for my degree and PhD.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 6:43 am

I can pass math with tons of studying (but had difficulty with it in the past). However, I really enjoy it as it's logical and repetitive.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

Species5618

09 Jul 2012, 7:14 am

I got my Bachelors and Masters in math with relatively little effort. So I'm pretty good at math.

Budfarmer
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Jul 2012, 7:24 am

IndieSoul wrote:
I was average in math up until high school. Algebra? Forget it. Geometry came easier to me.

That's funny because I was just about to post the opposite.

I used to collect old Algebra books, then sit down with a shiny new composition book and a box of sharpened pencils and do Algebra problems till my head spun. I loved it and still do very well with "word problems" (the only real-world application for algebra I've ever found).

However, geometry totally spazzed my brain. I could not grasp the concept of infinite anything. And honestly, I wish I could calculate areas and volumes a little better, but I get by, and other than that, don't really miss my geometry skill set.

Your Aspie score: 175 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 30 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 7:28 am

I have NVLD. However, I am very good at algebra (particularly solving equations) and statistics that require algebra only. I am a whiz at ANOVAs and solving linear systems of equations. Algebra is like a logic puzzle, like sudokus, which I'm also very good at. My math disability comes into play for visual-spatial math. I have been a failure at geometry since elementary school, and the math I simply don't understand at ALL is trigonometry. If it's not straight algebra (I suck at algebra word problems, too), I'm abysmal.

Nash: Is there a difference?

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 1:58 pm

I was quite good at maths.