coffee-like beverages make me fall asleep

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

antonblock
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jul 2012, 8:00 pm

Hi there,

when I drink coffee it usually makes me hyperactive, somtimes I first fall asleep for one or two hours and then I am eventually hyperactive. I thought it was the coffeine in there which makes me so sleepy at first, but now i bought a coffeine-free coffee-substitute (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caro_Instant_Beverage), and I even fell more often asleep - I used hot milk and water and put a little powder in it, however, I again feel asleep as well several times after drinking this coffee substitute.

Ingredients: soluble solids of roasted barley, malted barley, chicory, and rye.
Nutritional information per 100g: Energy 1225kJ / 256kcal, Protein 5.5g, Carbohydrate 60g, Fat 0.3g

I drank usually the coffee and the coffee-substitute hot, so I thought that the warmth makes my body fall asleep. Therefore, I drank a cold cup of milk with the coffee-substitute, but guess what: I also fell asleep in the middle of the day when I drank a cold cup of water, milk and the coffee-substitute.

I would like to know what makes me fall asleep in all those cases. Does anyone know or have some sort of explanation?

thanks alot

katwithhat
Toucan
Toucan

07 Jul 2012, 8:10 pm

I can go straight to sleep after drinking a pot of coffee. Maybe like the effects of adderall on ADHD???

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 8:15 pm

The same thing happens to me when I drink coffee or energy drinks.

corvuscorax
Toucan
Toucan

07 Jul 2012, 8:18 pm

I'm the same way. I always get a bit of a kick, then I nap before it's effective. Always caused some issues in school.

I manage to circumvent the problem by drinking the coffee a bit earlier than most would for when I need it.

antonblock
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jul 2012, 12:18 pm

no one here, who can explain it?

It can't be the coffee, it can't be the high temperature.... maybe its the sugar?

Sanctus
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2012, 12:45 pm

Don't know what might cause it in your case, but I once read that Aspie's should be careful with stuff like alcohol and drugs, because they might react differently with an autistic brain. In fact, I fall asleep after smoking cigarettes. Caffeine just doesn't affect me at all.