Do you drive?
Yes 65%  65%  [ 178 ]
No 35%  35%  [ 97 ]
Total votes : 275

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2012, 12:54 am

I've been driving off and on since I was 14 years old, and I'm a pretty good driver. Never had an accident that was my fault. I really miss driving when I don't do it for a while.

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2012, 1:00 am

Yep, all the time. If I am without one of my cars I feel quite insecure and irritated. I drive 30-50k miles a year and practically live in my car.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2012, 1:04 am

No (ASD symptoms).

Don't like cars anyway.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

11 Jul 2012, 2:04 am

I cant drive because my vision is too bad & my mind has problems processing visual stuff I do see sometimes. Not being able to drive is a hindrance because my area is rural & there isn't much of a public transit system here due to being over 10miles away from where all the stores are in a city

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2012, 2:37 am

I drive but I'm a horrible driver - to quote the drummer from one of my bands "Atomsk (not my real name but I'm using it instead), I appreciate the ride, but you're a really scary driver."

I paid a driving instructor to give me the driver's license test, at a time of day that was not busy at all, and the driving test took place almost entirely on a military base - what seemed to me, to be the greatest place nearby to take it, other than going off to a small town and taking it.

I -barely- passed. I only drive because public transportation where I live is almost nonexistent. I generally do not drive while there are many other drivers on the road - so I try to stick between the hours of 7-8pm and 4am for driving, which happens to be just about the time most band practices and gigs happen to be, which is pretty much the only time I leave the house.

I drive very poorly - I really cannot drive reliably at busy times. I nearly get into accidents often. So I do not drive unless absolutely necessary - I even bike when I must go to the store and all that, anything within range of bike.

Projectile
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Jul 2012, 2:44 am

Motorbikes I prefer! I have a BMW f650 that gets me about

vanhalenkurtz
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2012, 4:14 am

Never drove a car. Lived in college towns. Walked. Kept my health & shape up. My first wife, then ex, died in a crash. Many people do, that's the daily news that gets suppressed.

EQ: 6.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2012, 6:51 am

NeueZiel wrote:
I have a license and can drive 80% of most cars. I can't drive stick though.

In the UK, you would find you can't drive 80% of cars as they're all manual.

I've always driven manual. More control, more economical as the engine uses no more fuel than is asked of it. In auto's fuel is pumped in and regulated. Manual would have the engine locked to the gearbox as you brake using engine deceleration. Thus giving more grip.

I'd only go auto if I HAD to.

I saw a news article about the rain and something made me laugh, "Even 4 wheel drive's were having problems." My diagnosis: Road tyres.... I bet the driver thought AWD = go anywhere, any time, any tyre.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

11 Jul 2012, 10:53 am

I had very little urge to learn, or to have a car, when I was a teenager. In fact, the only reason I went ahead and got a license when I was 18, is that my mother became disabled, and I was forced to become the household driver. I had no problem learning, and I have always had an excellent safety record... It's just that I wasn't interested in having a car for any particular reason. I was shy about it too, so when I was 18, I was riding with an adult friend who had hired me as a TV repair apprentice, and he just pulled the truck over and told me "OK, it's time for you to learn to drive, so you're driving from here back to the shop". It was about 3 miles, and of all places, Sunset Blvd in Hollywood at rush hour 8O ! I found it easy, and loved it. Just to be clear; I already had fair experience in traffic from riding motorcycles since age 13 or 14, so it was just the physical operation of the truck, that I had to learn. When I went for my license, I had no problem passing the tests.

Charles

FMX
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2012, 11:46 am

I drive and love it! Well, not the traffic and other drivers, but just the feeling of control and precision and acceleration (from time to time ;)). It's something I've always looked forward to as a child and I still enjoy it now after all these years.

Colinn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2012, 11:54 am

I find driving to be fairly easy, but I never got my licence for 2 reasons. Firstly, I'm not in a situation were I would have to drive much, if at all for that matter. Also, the public transport for the most part around my area is good. Besides, I don't even like driving, the only reason I drove much at all was because my dad was overly keen about me learning. I find it to be a stressful and tedious task.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2012, 11:56 am

I don't drive and probably won't ever.

My mother doesn't drive either so when I was growing up I didn't have anyone to teach me. If I had a license I wouldn't be able to afford a car anyways.

If I did drive I'd have trouble judging speed and distances and using the mirrors and would probably get in a lot of accidents.

The few times I practiced in friend's cars as a teenager my vision being so cut off by the car around me bothered me a lot.

I'm clumsy enough just walking around my house and bang into things.

When I want to go somewhere I walk or take the bus or occasionally a cab.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2012, 12:16 pm

I drive at the time. In fact, when I got my license at 18 I had a jaded old man who was probably past retirement age do my road test. I later found out he went inside the DMV and announced that I was the best driver he had ever seen. He must know what he's talking about: no accidents and no tickets in 11 years!

I was also bullied (surprise surprise!) when I first started using the forklift at a home improvement store because I was a little slow to grasp the idea of turning slowly. That stopped quickly when the 'big tough' lumber guys were completely upstaged by the lanky new kid who pushed carts. I could make skilled moves almost effortlessly because I so good at it. They tried to humiliate me by making me get a 16ft long lift of lumber that weighs 2 tonnes was 20 feet in the air and I did it almost without hesitation my first week. The look on their faces was priceless!

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2012, 1:59 pm

I'd decided that I wouldn't ever drive. But, after a near miss, which was averted by moi, I think I might give it a go. We were in Ontario for a holiday and got back at the weekend. One day, towards the end of our stay, my husband was about to make a left turn, at a crossroad on a dual carriageway, and seemed completely unaware of a large car about to cross our path. I shouted, 'Stop', knowing that he thinks I'm over cautious and nervous and that he might just ignore me. Thankfully, he slammed on the brakes. He's normally a good driver, but the traffic lights and the fact that we travelling on the opposite side of the road to normal managed to confuse him. There were 2 other adults in the car, who never spotted it either, and I was in the 3rd row, with the least view. It's going to take some effort on my part, especially with my issue with mirrors, but I'm going to see about getting some lessons.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2012, 2:23 pm

I have actually passed my driving test and now hold a provisional liscence, but I don't own a car because I feel there will be more pressure on me from the jobcentre, like more expectations that will overwhelm me, because they just think ''oh, she's got a car, we can send her anywhere we want'', when, really, I wouldn't like to go far (I have anxiety issues). I took driving lessons because holding a driving liscense will always come in handy for when I may need a car later on in life, plus it's good to try things while you're young. Also I cannot afford a car at the moment, being so I am unemployed, and if I did want to get a car at some point in my life then I will just have a quick refresher lesson in a learner's car then I'll be OK (my driving instructer did say I can do that whenever I want).

Also I love getting the bus.

bnky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jul 2012, 2:25 pm

I got my learner's twice.
First: when everyone else my age was expected to... then I just wasn't interested in learning to drive... and it expired.
Second: at 19 or 20 and my mother taught me to drive.
Got driver's licence on first try at 20.
Then didn't drive until I was 25/26.
Now I do drive, but I normally walk further in any week than I drive